• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Toons flashing through? PiggyZone or GM? (1 Viewer)

jimbo

RedCents
On occasion (somewhere between a few and several times) I have seen toons (sometimes on mounts) flash in front of me, then disappear again. It has usually been in an area where I am running, or do run, an afk macro - i.e. an area with no roamers, and no PC camp -- a nice quiet place. I have ShowEQ up on a linux box, and see nobody, and I do a /who with MQ2 and show nobody in the zone, both shortly before and immediately after the flash. They disappear too quickly for me to read their names and do a /who all to figure out where they went.

I tend to be paranoid, and have worried that they were GMs and there was a bug in their undetectableness (is that a word?) But I'm starting to wonder if they are PiggyZoners. PiggyZoneing is on my list for things to try, but if this is a side effect, I'd like to know beforehand, and maybe change my waypoints from the defaults.

So here is the question: When PiggyZoning, do you pop up in the intermediate zones in places where people can see you, or deep in a wall somewhere?

Then I assume you only appear in the zone for an instant, then move to the next zone?

Please advise.

Thanks,

--jimbo

Generally, When you use Mq2PiggyZone it zones you into the zone at zone points; then immediatly zones you to the next zone.

Are you by a zone-in?

Try to see if this happens when you're deep inside a zone or whatnot.

I am deep inside the zone. In one instance, I am just outside Kael, somewhat near the Kael zoneline in Everfrost or Eastern Wastes (whatever that Zone is that leads you to Kael) but nowhere near the zonelines to GD, Sleepers Tomb, that other zone in the middle, or whatever is on the other end... heh.

Since I have never owned a Druid or a Wizzy, I don't know where their special spots are in this zone (if any), but I doubt they are right outside the entrance to Kael...

I can't help you with your problem. But you gave me a good idea of changing the locs of piggyzone zone-ins to somewhere off the map so people don't see you pop in and out while travelling.

When you chain zone, you pop in the zone for a few seconds, depending on your cpu and connection speed, so people can see you where you zone in, then you disappear a few seconds later.

Yup those are more than likely Piggyzoners. THats why i dont piggy. Ill take the time to zone to each zone. so if i do pop up in fornt of someone (at zone in) ill just run like i zoned in. if noone around bamm /zone nextzone

Dumbstruck said:
sure its not a rogue with sos ? hmm u sead on a mount never mind
Yeah, and more importantly, nothing but a Sony goon can hide from MQ2's "/who" and from ShowEQ. Any PC, visible or otherwise, will still be visible to the client... unless it is a GM, hiding from all the clients.

Wierd. Maybe I should take a close look at the 'waypoints' used in PiggyZoning. It seems like if it is some place other than the usual zone-in locations, it should be customized for every user to avoid detection.

Something I've always wondered about: When you /gate or /zone it appears (to me) that you do a shift winthin the zone you're in before you actually change zones. (In PoTranq I noticed it took me to up near the Scales, for example)

Does anyone else see that movement? As in someone watching you?

RedDog said:

Does anyone else see that movement? As in someone watching you?

I noticed that too (someone watching me). But I fashioned a stylish helmet out of aluminum foil, with a grounding lead to the case of my UPS. Wearing that when I EQ seems to have solved the problem. :D

RedDog said:
Something I've always wondered about: When you /gate or /zone it appears (to me) that you do a shift winthin the zone you're in before you actually change zones. (In PoTranq I noticed it took me to up near the Scales, for example)

This is true. I saw a Dreadlander Rouge in the pok go to the FV stone then he /zoned dreadlands thinking it would just make it look like he clicked the stone. Well it warped him by the soulbinder than he disappeared. I was running over that bridge when I saw it. I did catch his name so I /whoall and bam dreadlands. A small smile came to my face and I told him to call me so I could warn him the next time he did it. Now on the zone after the initial zone I don’t know if there is a warp, but on the first zone ive seen this discrepancy

And when you /who the zone and nothing came up this is normal cause he/she is already in the next zone (or in limbo between zones)

Mischief said:
GM's are only detectable when they want to be detected. Majority of the time when a GM is on a live server you will not detect them until they are at the point of interaction with a player. GM checks are a false sense of security.

Yeah that was the other thing I forgot to mention. I've seen many cases where GM's just think they're cool and want to trick people they think are possibly macro'ing.

You see, when a GM zones into a zone, you can see them for a split second if they're hidden. So, what could be happening is a GM could be zoning directly to you and once they hit enter for that command, you've already moved, so you see them popping in on their goto command's initial loc of where you were when they hit it, then disappearing because their hidden ability catches up.

I can tell you this, though. I've seen a GM in a zone where I was exp'ing right at the entrance, non-afk and not using any macro or anything, I was just botting, but actually commanding all. A GM zoned in, yes a GM because I checked as soon as I saw his name, I assumed he was just travelling, but he ran over to us and then poof he was gone. About 10 seconds later, bam, he was there right in front of me. I didn't say anything to him cause I don't talk to them just like I don't talk to cops if I pass by them. He kept up his vanishing act for about 10 minutes before I said "hello, it's not halloween" and he never came back. True story...but the point is that sometimes I think GM's just want to mess with people, sometimes just to play, and sometimes to see if they can catch you doing something you shouldn't be.

Toons flashing through? PiggyZone or GM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back