• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Suggestions for new TV/Monitor? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
21¢
So my 50” not 4K TV seems to be at the end of its life cycle. I don’t want to down size to an ultra wide monitor annd all the TVs now are 4K or higher resolution. Is this still an issue? I recall problems in the past with 4K TVs and UI size. I like the idea of moving portions of the UI off the play window but don’t want to wear glasses to play EQ On a screen with less real estate area than I currently have. Suggestions please?

By the way this new TV/monitor is only for EQ

I recently got an Alienware AW3821DW 38" ultrawide and am super happy with it. It's not a true "super ultrawide" as the resolution is 3840x1600, but I find that the additional vertical real estate is more useful than more horizontal space for most things. The IPS panel looks great, has pixel response, and the HDR is HDR enough for me. There's a newer OLED based version, but I don't know much about it beyond $$$.

RTINGS page: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3821dw

I recently got an Alienware AW3821DW 38" ultrawide and am super happy with it. It's not a true "super ultrawide" as the resolution is 3840x1600, but I find that the additional vertical real estate is more useful than more horizontal space for most things. The IPS panel looks great, has pixel response, and the HDR is HDR enough for me. There's a newer OLED based version, but I don't know much about it beyond $$$.

RTINGS page: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3821dw

I have the same 38" 3840x1600, upgraded from a 34" ultrawide that was 3440x1440

The x1600 feels like a sweet spot, the x1440 makes you compromise on many things for that extra width

I have the same 38" 3840x1600, upgraded from a 34" ultrawide that was 3440x1440

The x1600 feels like a sweet spot, the x1440 makes you compromise on many things for that extra width
Thats a similar upgrade path that I took, though my previous monitor was a 34" 1080p ultra-wide. I looked at the Neo G9 and I'm sure that 7680x2160 MiniLED panel is a sight to behold, but between the hilarious $$$ and the sheer number of pixels to drive I settled on the AW.

I've got the 34" 1080p monitor mounted vertically and it seems like the best of all worlds. The 34" is attached to a KVM switch that lets me bounce between media server, seed box/router, NAS, and the work I'm ignoring and EQ runs in it's full 2001 glory. That's a big desk space investment though...

Question - Suggestions for new TV/Monitor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back