• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • EverQuest (live servers) were patched today and MacroQuest developers are putting in time for their own update. Please show them your appreciation. Per brainiac, ETA is 11pm EST

Guide - Stream your Nvidia PC to Mac to run MQ2 (1 Viewer)

Cybris

Old Timer
RedCents
2,537¢
So I got a Fancy new M1 Mac and was trying to figure out a way I could play EQ and run MQ2 on it.

The nice thing is Geforce Experience has a built in feature that will stream to other devices.
This was meant to be used to Stream PC Apps to the Nvidia Shield.
ot
But I found this nice little free program called Moonlight that uses this connection and can run on other PC's or even a Mac.

Here is the Setup Guide for Moonlight it takes you through the Nvidia Experience settings

Now what I found interesting is at the bottom of the setup is how you can setup to run your Windows Desktop not just a program

Using Moonlight to stream your entire desktop
Follow the steps above for adding a custom program, but for the path use: C:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe

You can rename the remote desktop entry using the Edit button. When you click this entry, you will see your full desktop where you can run whatever you want.

Even though the mstsc.exe executable is typically used for Microsoft Remote Desktop, this is only an indicator to GeForce/Quadro Experience that you want to stream your desktop. It does not actually launch mstsc.exe or use RDP to stream.

This worked for me flawlessly.
it allows me to control my Windows Desktop on my M1 Mac and I can launch MQ2, Everquest and control it all from my M1 Mac.
This would work as well if for instance you wanted to remotely control your desktop or other software,
Happy Remote EQ'ing :)

Edit: The only drawback is you can only Stream to one device at a time.

what kind of lag/delay do you get though

Need to do some further testing with multiple clients going but while on the same network with a single instance there was none really. I was watching my mouse cursor move in sync from both machines. I did drop the resolution to 1080 on the host machine but moonlight does support 4k streaming.

Of course my main desktop that I'm hosting from is using a hardline ethernet and my client Mac was using wireless.

I'm going to have a friend test the paired connection over the internet. I'll also do that as well this weekend when I travel away from home.

Oh and Moonlight does support streaming to other platforms as Well just about everything Android, Raspberry Pi, Linux, Fire OS, Google ChromeOS, IOS, Apple TV, and Steam Link

I use Parsec to play EQ on multiple devices including my phone. I believe there is a mac version also. There is almost no lag and it is the best remote app I've found yet. You may want to check it out to compare performance

I use Parsec to play EQ on multiple devices including my phone. I believe there is a mac version also. There is almost no lag and it is the best remote app I've found yet. You may want to check it out to compare performance

Definitely will check it out and compare the two.

Running 6 accounts and messing around in POK no issues really yet.
MQ2EQWire definitely helps.
Also if you run EQ in fullscreen make sure to setup hotkeys to flip between toons alt-tab doesn't work to switch between them.

I've been thinking about going back to having a nice desktop and using something like Parsec or Moonlight to stream the screen to a less powerful device.

I was curious how multiple games would work, like multiple EQ windows for example. That's cool that you can stream the whole desktop.

Things like screen sharing utilities cause too much lag to be useful for actual play.

I was running 6 toons to my laptop no real issues just running around PoK. Need to test out combat.

I did see a definite performance boost by using MQ2EQWire.

I also want to test using inner space as well.

I've been thinking about going back to having a nice desktop and using something like Parsec or Moonlight to stream the screen to a less powerful device.

I was curious how multiple games would work, like multiple EQ windows for example. That's cool that you can stream the whole desktop.

Things like screen sharing utilities cause too much lag to be useful for actual play.

I tried using Chrome Remote desktop, it was OK, but not enjoyable. I never heard of parsec or Moonlight. I was looking exactly for something like this. I know the service Shadow.tech does such a great job of game streaming from a virtual PC, that I knew there had to be something!

You use a Mac, just delete your account and move along...
I was going to say that but it has the M1 chip which is pretty sweet so we should give them a pass, maybe. But I hear ya about most apple stuff being garbage not to mention the work camps and anti-right to repair practices like serializing hardware and telling vendors not to supply chips for instance.

Another program I use is called Monflo. It is really useful if you want to play EQ on a tablet or cellphone without an external mouse and keyboard. You can set up custom control layouts so you can play EQ on your touchscreen. It's not the prettiest, but it works when you get the hang of it.

Here's an example of a few control layouts I use when playing on my phone:

MonfloSample1.jpg MonfloSample2.jpg

I have been using teamviewer on my pc to stream to my macbook pro when I am afk and need to go outside for a smoke break . For some reason when I remote login it wont let me move my toons unless I move them with my mouse buttons which can be annoying

Guide - Stream your Nvidia PC to Mac to run MQ2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back