• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - Sic's easy launching of myseq / eqbcs ONLY if its not already launched: The Guide. (1 Viewer)

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
29,421¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Sorry ahead of time for the thread title. its a pretty niche situation, but something that couldn't find a solution to.

Also VERY likely it is nearly useless for just about anyone else.

Let me give you some background into what I'm wanting to share with you.

I like to run anything I don't want to look at, or on my taskbar to run on a different "desktop". Windows has this built in with a WindowsKey+Tab

You can see here, that I keep:
Desktop 1 as my "main go to"
Desktop 2 as a "backup go to" so it is usually empty
Desktop 3 is my "put eqbcs and myseq server, and my voicemeter and anything else i need running but don't want to see"

1626775285157.png

Now this is great because myseq server and eqbcs2 can be running and doing their thing, but i don't have to SEE them.

a huge desire i've wanted for a while is to be able to click a button / script and then have them open on the desktop I want ONLY if they're not already running.

@Knightly & @kaen01 helped me figure out a powershell script that would do just that using VDesk

I know near nothing about powershell - so there is almost certainly a more simple way to do this, but this might help 1 person (plus is a good way for me to document it in case i lost it somehow). I'm just about certain that I could clean up my 3 VDeskArg variables

This powershell script will open eqbcs2 on my desktop 3 if it is not already running, open myseq server on desktop 3 if it is not already running, and open myseq client on desktop 1 if not already running. the "noswitch" means "don't swap to the desktop".

If i were to run it again, it would only launch any of those items not already running - so i won't end up with duplicates etc.

You would definitely want to update the "E:\VV LIVE\Release\" etc to match your directory/locations

Code:
$VDesk = 'D:\Program Files (x86)\VDesk\vdesk.exe'
$VDeskArgEQBC          = 'vdesk on:3 noswitch:true run:"E:\RedGuides\Next\mqnext\build\bin\release\EQBCS.exe"'.Split(" ")
$VDeskArgMySEQServer = 'vdesk on:3 noswitch:true run:"E:\RedGuides\MySEQ\server.exe"'.Split(" ")
$VDeskArgMySEQClient = 'vdesk on:1 noswitch:false run:"E:\RedGuides\MySEQ\MySEQ.exe"'.Split(" ")

# get the process
if (Get-Process EQBCS -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) {
  echo "EQBCS is Already Running"
}
else {
    & $VDesk $VDeskArgEQBC
}
Remove-Variable sicsprocess

if (Get-Process server -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) {
    echo "MySEQ Server is Already Running"
}
else {
    & $VDesk $VDeskArgMySEQServer
}

if (Get-Process MySEQ -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) {
    echo "MySEQ Client is Already Running"
}
else {
    & $VDesk $VDeskArgMySEQClient
}

so i have an icon on my desktop for this launch.ps1
1626775892761.png
or if you want it actually spelled correctly (thanks knightly)
1626798122960.png
and i can right click it and "Run with PowerShell"
1626775905683.png

and it does all of the magic goodness

Last edited:
how have i not known about this windowskey+tab nonsense before.
you win for the day for that alone!
and you are correct the E drive needs modified. the E drive is clearly only for F drive backups of eq junk!

all jokes aside, thanks a ton. i keep a lot of background junk running that i dont want up and in my face, this shall be explored!

I can't see your screenshot (too small). By "desktop" are you referring to a monitor or a separate computer?
Press WindowsKey+Tab

it is a built-in windows thing - you can tell that's what i was talking about by the fact that is what i was talking about =p

me said:
I like to run anything I don't want to look at, or on my taskbar to run on a different "desktop". Windows has this built in with a WindowsKey+Tab

Thats not going to fix your tiny screen capture. LOL
well if you pressed WindowsKey+Tab you'd see that it is the actual size of what is shown.

I can stretch it for you if you don't want to WindowsKey+Tab
Here is a bananers for scale

1626963802533.png

1626963761553.png

jokes aside - when you do the WindowsKey+Tab, it shows small boxes - that's why i keep saying for *you* to press the buttons so you can see what im talking about.

Ok. Not going to argue with you, but WIndowsKey+Tab does nothing to your screenshots. That combo wants to sort the applications I have open on my two monitors.

Holly shit Sic, this is awesome, i keep my RG patcher, myseq, eqbcs and several other items up that i just dont need to look at constantly. Just set this up and changed drives and everything to mine.

Great work man

Ok. Not going to argue with you, but WIndowsKey+Tab does nothing to your screenshots. That combo wants to sort the applications I have open on my two monitors.

Virtual desktops can be useful. Not sure how much extra load that would create for setups with multiple monitors and such. Might be worth checking out. There are (were) keyboard shortcuts for switching quickly. The mini view may not look right at first though because you need to create a desktop first. Once it is there, it should show in that preview jumble Microsoft gives you. I haven't done it in a long time. I have lots of monitors, so you could get really wild.

Windows 10 + 11 multiple desktops

How to Manage Virtual Desktops

1635890784555.png

Guide - Sic's easy launching of myseq / eqbcs ONLY if its not already launched: The Guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back