• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning player - I've watched the videos! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,052¢
Hey gang,

So - I've watched the tutorials. I'm still a little lost but I'll get over it - I'm much better with written instructions. Please can I ask for a little checklist to ensure I can MQ2 - I remember that I used to be able to KA and edit ini files accordingly based on level etc plus there were some lovely pre-build inis that I could edit accordingly...

Starting in Crescent reach today -

SK (will be Gold when I get to 40 or so)
Bard (ftp)
Shaman (ftp)

As I'm just starting out, would it be advisable to add a druid/ wizard to the mix for travelling?

Does the compile come with everything I need to start out fresh? Will I need to edit inis before I start?

Is there a decent minimal UI that isn't too intrusive and kept updated?

Lastly, will I be able to show all 4 screens on the same monitor (was thinking main tank as largest and two or three smaller screens at the side of the main).

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:
not really a checklist, but things i would do.

MQ "Next" -> do this > HERE <

mq2autologin,
mq2eqbc and/or mq2dannet
mq2rez, (/multiline ; /plugin mq2rez load; /timed 5 /rez accept on; /timed 10 /rez acceptpct 90; /timed 15 /rez delay 1)
mq2aaspend, (prolly not need to worry until later
mq2say,
mq2autogroup,
mq2autoaccept,
mq2feedme, (more of a later level thing)
mq2status, (no config, just load)
mq2feedme, (no config just load)

not really on the dru/wiz unless you plan on staying at lower lvl for an extended period of time. but enjoying your team is more important than anything.

then kissassist if you want to edit and deal with your own ini and abilities, or rgmercs if you want them to be more like mercenaries and not have to set up an ini .

these days automation is pretty reliable and i personally find 0 need for watching my background toons.

you could supplement with 3 actual mercs, but since you're starting fresh i would consider getting a full 6 team rocking

tank (the sk you mentioned), CC (bard you mentioned), healer (you said shm, but they are a much tougher solo healer early/mid game until they get into the near 100ish range, so i would add a clr to the mix, unless you are just doing the 3 then you can merc --- but mercs are poo and a f2p, krono'd, clr is crazy better than a merc), then the rest dps, since you are already doing sk/bard/shm - you can have a crazy lazy dps group by just going 2 bersersers (i say two because of the clr/shm thing mentioned), you could also be fine with rogs, monks, etc, other melee toons - bards are exceptional ADPS for melee toons, and you'll breeze right through content (zerkers are boring/lackluster until 101, so there's that).

the absolutely most important thing is to enjoy your team, so play what you like, and don't be afraid to experiment and mix/match. this game is significantly different in "modern, current" game than it was in yesteryear, so some of the answers you will receive will be more or less applicable based on that.

Last edited:
Definitely what Sic said about enjoying your team. I have a druid on my team right now (mid 60's) and I really enjoy being able to port around or succor. They don't do much damage and help a little bit of healing, but right now I'm having fun with them.

When I started using very vanilla I had to watch the video's a lot. Things are starting to make more sense now that I've been messing around some more and getting the hang of things.

I also just used RGMercs right away, that made it more comfortable for me and kept me playing rather than just messing and trying to figure stuff out. Now I'm slowly starting to branch out into kissassist for my druid to try and make it what I want to do.

I also have all my background toons minimized and just run with my main up. To me it's easy enough to just alt tab if I want to do something with one of them. As for the UI i just use the default, it does what I need it to do.

Definitely what Sic said about enjoying your team. I have a druid on my team right now (mid 60's) and I really enjoy being able to port around or succor. They don't do much damage and help a little bit of healing, but right now I'm having fun with them.

When I started using very vanilla I had to watch the video's a lot. Things are starting to make more sense now that I've been messing around some more and getting the hang of things.

I also just used RGMercs right away, that made it more comfortable for me and kept me playing rather than just messing and trying to figure stuff out. Now I'm slowly starting to branch out into kissassist for my druid to try and make it what I want to do.

I also have all my background toons minimized and just run with my main up. To me it's easy enough to just alt tab if I want to do something with one of them. As for the UI i just use the default, it does what I need it to do.
sounds like you're kicking ass bearshark! proud of you and good advice

Just to add to this. Ask detailed question if you can't figure something out. Make sure that you let folks know if you are using MQNext or VV. (go with MQNext). The more detail you can give the better answers you will get. Folks around here will jump at the chance to help ya. I use a set of rules...

Rule #1 Have Fun always.
Rule #2 If I don't understand ask. There is no dumb or stupid question only the one you don't ask.
Rule #3 See rule #1

I got more but those are the big 3.

Zeb

Welcome back. I am have just come back myself and I am enjoying the mq2. There is a lot of help here and Sic is always fast with his reply’s. I am still watching the tutorials my self. It’s not easy to learn all the sudden and my memory is not as good as it use to be , so glad there is a video to always go back and look at. My team is mainly melee with the bard so there is no down time and I don’t have to edit the ini’s so much.

Question - Returning player - I've watched the videos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back