• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Pet Tank Limit (1 Viewer)

I'm still 106 so have only had glimpses of the 110 gameplay, but a lot of people say mage pets are really strong. However I briefly grouped with a guy who had the Golden Sage's Earring which is one of the highest pet focus item (I think only 1 better from tough raid?) so his pet was as good as it gets. We killed some nameds in RoS and it did ok with a dedicated J5 healer merc. But he said it struggles against some nameds and on bad pulls, and for some situations he gets some friends with their healer mercs so he has 3 healer mercs to keep the pet alive... In other words, it is good, but a real tank is better. And if the tank has good gear and a lot of AAs, it is a LOT better. I used to run with a mage pet as tank and it worked fine for a long time, but against multiple mobs it was bad because the pet had no ae taunt. For that reason alone, I changed my party to have a real tank and I am glad for it all the time that I play. On tough pulls I can survive because my tank hits ae taunt(s) and a strong disc, and it saves the entire group. Yeah I have a bard that can ae mez but it takes him a while, especially if there are some resists. And against easy mobs I can pull 10 mobs at a time and gank them down one by one while the tank holds them all.

I am sure you could get by with a mage pet though, but would need to be careful with pulls, go slower, and ideally have 2 healers.

Last edited:
If your group is centered around 1 pet tank, you will have some issues occasionally.

If you are using multiple pet tanks, the same as having multiple toons that can tank, you chances are of course much better.

I generally run with either 2 tank classes, or 1 tank and 1-3 pet classes. Even the Enchanter pet (which has gotten a serious boost) can go toe to toe in a pinch, and with multiple pets the aggro/taunt gets passed around, mitigating the damage intake by spreading it around (depending on how well your healer group heals)

Keep in mind the experience of a pet tanking with a healer merc is not ideal, there is a major difference for any person tanking with a merc Vs a real healer.

The main advantage of pet is gear, an inappropriately geared tank will almost always look crap to a pet. So if you level a tank up, you can use your pet until you have collected enough gear/leveled you tank to your groups/mobs range.

As mentioned, a real tank is better then a pet tank regardless in the end.

I used Dimensional armor with the summoned augs on my mage pets. In OT water pet can take 2 trash mobs no problem. Air pet can take 3 trash mobs and at least the named golems. Earth pet (this was not on purpose) has tangled with a cat, 2 sarnacks, and a golem. He is really great for named because of his proc. I am told that the face items that have hate on them are usable by mage pet but have not confirmed it. I pick one up if i see one on market for not much plat. I also use crafted face ring and ear. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON HIM THAT GOES IN BACK SLOT!. Then i give summoned hate weapons. Crafted items appear to only work for the pet classes. an example they do nothing for enc pet. The armor takes stell and leather roll to craft so hold on to and stock up on those times when you can
I group with a bard and cleric all level 109

Air pet with almost maxed aa's in OT takes 1 trash mob easily, 2 trash mobs with a little finesse. That's just me and a healer merc. Nameds crush my pet pretty quickly. I'm using the conflag earring. lvl 107.

Question - Pet Tank Limit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back