• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

performance (1 Viewer)

ominous54

RedCents
Hey guys, this isn't an MQ2 question, but you are all computer gurus so should know this.

What settings in EQ as well as the computer settings will allow me to run EQ by using the least amount of Ram?

WinEQ has that nice RAM meter. Sometimes when I run one EQ client, it drops to 60% or so available RAM. Sometimes I can get away with running 4 accounts on that box and it goes to 10% avail. The goal here is to run 4 on this box, but I can only sometimes do it.

This machine has 3.4G pentium 4, 2048 RAM, Radeon Mobility 9700 128M vid card. On EQ, I run 1280x1024, all Luclin Models off, everything unchecked, toons on low detail. Sky, spells, environs, etc. all off.

I am not sure what I can remove under task manager and what I can't. If you guys have any tips here they are greatly appreciated.

I don't know what your machines max ram capacity is, but another gig of ram will help alot. 4 instances will just about be the max for 2 gig. Also, try running EQ in windowed mode, adjust your window where you can see the top and bottom bars, and minimize 3 of the screens and just mouse over whichever character you need atm. This is what I do, and routinely run 8 instances at the same time on the same machine(4 gig/64-bit) and still have ram to spare.

I am currently 3 boxing with WinEQ2 on an AMD XP2500+ with one gig and a 64 mb Geforce 4 Video Card... the only way I can get the system to work is if I use a memory program to free my RAM after I load each instance. I initially load all 3 accounts to the agreement screen and then go from there. The best (free) memory manager program that I have found is at:

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

I load each instance individually, and it takes about 5 - 10 minutes to log all 3 accounts in. After I load each instance, I use the program to free around 400 MB of RAM and that is plenty to reload... don't try to free as much as you can, I found that it unloads everyting and then tries to reload it again and I lag horribly... if I only free 400MB, I suffer very little lag, if any.

I hope that helps a little, and i suspect that if I loaded up a 4th instance using my method, I would have very little problem at all.

As well as all the posts above advice, make sure that you have you social animations turned off... I left mine on once and it used soooo much memory, that I could hardly run even one instance!

By trying a load then minimize technique, I was able to load 6 toons on this laptop. I got RAM warnings from WinEQ, but it worked, and I really only need to keep 6 on long enough to get an instanced zone, then I can log them off. I wonder if there are programs windows runs that aren't needed that eat up RAM.

I believe it was Lax who wrote a nice article on memory usage and Everquest on WinEQ forums a while ago, there were a lot of tips on what options to turn off. Luclin models was a big one if you need to save memory.

With 2gigs of ram and 256meg video card you can run 4 characters with no HD swapping and decent performance on an old Pentium 2.4HT, and 5-6 characters can be run but then it does lag, virtual memory is activated and video memory also runs out often.

On a machine with 1gig of ram, I can barely run 2 characters without going into HD swapping hell, while friend with only 512megs of RAM is in bad shape running just a single character, his HD swaps constantly.

Basically, there is quite a bit of overhead from Windows and EQ when running first character it comes out to about 500megs at least. After that it gets more efficient.

I would imagine with 4 Gigs of ram and 512 video card you could run something like 12 characters with not too horrible a perfomance hit.

set your monitor to 16-bit mode, log into everquest and set your video options to 16-bit as well, this will make your 4 instances' video memore equal what 1 or 2 instances did before. if you're serious about using the least amount of RAM possible reduce your pixels as well, absolute minimum kinda sux but I do have one box that runs a 1 Ghz with 768 MB RAM just for loading in 2 or 3 filler accounts and it actually zones pretty well at the same time with the window at 800 x 600.

What zones you play in also makes a huge difference in how much RAM you'll consume. Old school zones are great, like... Lower Guk, Sebilis, etc.

As you progress in expansions forward in time to Luclin, PoP, GoD, Omens, you'll eat up more and more RAM. DoDH, PoR, and TSS zones eat RAM like child stars past 13 eat through their credibility.

performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back