• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

PC to run 6+ instances of eq (1 Viewer)

eqisdead

RedCents
46¢
This is just a question for anyone out there running 6 or more eq sessions on one pc. I just built a new pc and put windows xp 64 on it so that it doesn't have the 3gb limitation, put 4gb of ram in it and 2gb of virtual memory going on it. It recognizes have 4gb of ram in wineq2 and I can just barely run 6 sessions but gives me all the virtual memory in texture memory which doesn't do me a damn bit of good for running more than 6. Do I need to get more physical ram or why is it putting it into texture memory and is it fixable and if so how? Thanks in advance for looking at this anyone that has any answers.

eqisdead

I run 7 instances of EQ on my 64 bit 4gig ram machine, without WinEQ. I just run each instance in its own window, and mouse over to whatever window I happen to need to see atm. I'm running all new models, with most of the bells and whistles (shadowing is turned off). Its alittle laggy, but to bad at all.

When I run 6 it's not laggy at all I just start running low on memory. It gets down to about 400mb free and I can't figure out why virtual memory doesn't add to the memory available to eq. My instances vary between 450 and 600mb of ram each and I'm just wondering if I need to get a couple of 2gb sticks of ram or if that will even help and those will just get added to texture memory as well.

eqisdead

Thats crazy i have a amd 3000 and i can barely run 2 instances of eq and its laggy as hell. Got 1 gig mem and gforce 6800gt 256. Wonder why mine is so bad, these new zones are the real killer too. And i have everything turned off. also res at 1280x1024.

I retired my athlon XP 3000+ and AGP 6800 ultra with TSS. Processor just couldnt handle the large zones.
Anyway my new system with 4 gigs (only 3 register f/u win xp) dual core e6600 and a 7900 GT 256 meg I can run 5 at 1400x900 as long as I dont log an account out and am using wineq2.
I still dont get EQ, I can run half life 2 episode 1 at 100 fps with 4x fsaa and 16x antistropic but still get choppy in PoK hehe.

dobey said:
the shit in this thread is getting deep lol.

What do you mean?

zenthes said:
64bit isn't doing jack for you guys unless
A: you have a 64bit OS and
B: you have a 64bit version of EQ

I have a 64bit OS, and a commerically available version of 64bit EQ doesn't exist. Fortunately, Win64 is backwards compatable so it works fine for a 32bit app.

I got the 64bit machine and OS for other reasons.

Much faster machine than anything listed here - but I can get only four instances due to the dual cores vs EQ. It runs much better on older systems.

PS... before you ask, yes, I have done all of the fixes but I'm still running XP 32 bit.

dobey said:
the figures in that chart are about 5 expansions old now. In any newer content the numbers are almost double.

You are probably correct here so just adjust those numbers when you zone into new zones :) My point was not the numbers it was to show what makes an impact on multiple sessions.

So anyone tested MQ2WireFrame for speed yet?

dobey said:
the figures in that chart are about 5 expansions old now. In any newer content the numbers are almost double.

Yeah, with 2GB of RAM, I stick with 2 boxes per machine. 3 in any of the newer zones means you run out of system RAM. Video RAM isn't an issue.

Well I can get up to 10 now I think I'm not sure what the issue was but six sessions now puts my system ram available at 53%. Didn't change anything so not sure what happened LOL.

eqisdead

PC to run 6+ instances of eq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back