• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Patchday? (1 Viewer)

anon 456

RedCents
10¢
Does anyone here use the program Patchday to update the offsets? If so, would anyone be willing to write a tutorial for it? If you don't wish to do it on the forums, please PM me.

I have tried to do it on my own, and have succeded only in getting a headache.

patchday isnt 100% all though it will give you a good start you will still have to go back and confirm the offsets anyway.

dont really need a tutorial for patchday either its pretty self explanitory

make a #defines file .h
decompile the exe for the defines file you made run the dumpxref.idc file that comes with it in the decompiler (i use ida)
save the xref file somewhere usually the patchday folder

decompile the new exe, run the dumpxref.idc and save that also into the patchday folder

then its something like patchday match oldxref newxref whatever.match

with that match file is what patchday will use to try and find the closest matches for the old define file you have

i believe the command is patchday h2h whatever.match olddefine.h newdefine.h

the newdefine.h being what patchday spits out as its findings.

hope thats a good enough tutorial for ya.. as i dont have it on my notebook and im no where near the machine that does have it.

Thanks for the reply Vearroyo, but your explantion doesn't really get me anywhere.

decompile the exe for the defines file you made run the dumpxref.idc file that comes with it in the decompiler (i use ida)

I am using IDA Ver 4.8.0.847

I understand the decompile the exe part, but from there, I am lost. What defines file I made? Where is it located? What is its extension? As for running the Dumpxref.idc file that comes with it in the decomplier, Dumpxref is available as a download from F-H. I have searched on my computer for this file, and the only one I can find is the one that I DL'ed from F-H and put in the Patchday folder.

If you could (or someone else that has experence with Patchday) could be just alittle more specific with just a few more details, I would greatly appreciate it.

Patchday isn't all that great. If things around the offset change too much its worthless, and you end up with tons of offsets that might be right, might be wrong, and might not even be close. And to sort through all of that you might as well do it manually , with a lil handwritten guide next to your comp for what you have to do in general for each offset.

I hate writing tutorials.. and suck at doing it. but lets see if i cant do a quickie.
Assuming you have patchday in a directory c:/patchday

First lets start off with the IDA Part of the equation.. you of course need 2 eqgame.exe's for tutorial sake lets just say you have the one from 6/13 and the one from 6/28. Lets open up IDA and drop in the 6/13 exe. You will see it reading through alot of stuff when it gets started and will finally come to a point where it tells you something like you can now start looking through or using the database. at this point you can go to the toolbar and go file > idc file. This will have you locate the dumpxrefs.idc you got from the patchday download. once you open it ida will start searching through the database again to find references that it can find. and when done will ask you where to save the output file. for tutorial sake lets just save it as

c:/patchday/613.xref

Now lets go and do the exact same thing for the 6/28 exe Saveing that one as

C:/patchday/628.xref

So at this point you should just basically see 613.xref 628.xref patchday.exe and maybe the dumpxrefs.idc depending on where you saved that.

Now with those 2 xref files we want to make a match file. which pretty much tries to check the 2 files and see which refereneces best match each other.

so we are gonna open up a command prompt. cd over to c:/patchday
and type

patchday match 613.xref 628.xref 613628.match
and enter.. you should see some spew come out that looks like this

Reading 613.xref... 45168 items.
Reading 628.xref... 56531 items.
Matching given names... 6369 matches.
Matching... 91%... 92%, 00:00:20.4519469
Writing 613628.match... 41355 items.

at this point you should be golden. you should see a new file in the folder called. 613628.match.

Ill finish this later when i get a breather... =)
Im at work anyway.

Thanks again Vearroyo! A Red Cent is yours for that info! It was just that one little detail (File>idc file) that I was missing. A small detail, but one that, at least for me, would have been nearly impossible to find. Generating the .xref files works now (except, when I ran DumpXref.idc the first time, I got an error that fl_US was not defined. Commenting out the line caused the program to go ahead and run). this may cause issues down the road though.

After running IDA on both .exe's, and generating the two xref files, I was ready to actually run Patchday.......

A window popped up and told me that "To run this application,you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework: Ver 2.0.50727"

OK, I Google for that, find it, download the .zip, open the zip......stupid program won't install itself. Keeps "Encountering a problem and needs to close." Sigh...guess running this Patchday is going to be alot harder than I thought....gonna keep trying though.

You guys are completely right, PatchDay is useless. I'm sure MQ2 devs and others manually find all 500+ offsets every day there is a patch, that makes much more sense.

If you didn't catch the sarcasm, no PatchDay is not useless. You may think it is useless because you only update a few offsets like ZoneFunc and MLPSC. But when you are updating all of MQ2 and DoCrack offsets, then just try doing that manually in time to make everyone happy.

The last 2 patches for EQ I have released a compile and DoCrack offsets myself a few hours after the patch, before JMO could get to his release. I used PatchDay to get all of the updated offsets and DoCrack offsets. With both patches and 1,500+ offsets that were updated total, I think HideRun had 1 line that was wrong.

By the way, I did write a tutorial for updating offsets. I also have my own private program that reads a header file with DoCrack defines updated by PatchDay and converts it into an INI, but that's all in Lifetime section of my website so I'm not going to post it here.

JMO if I haven't already given you my MQ2DoCracKUpdater.exe then shoot me a PM with your username on my forums and I'll give you Lifetime so you can use it. Source code is in Lifetime section.

Patchday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back