• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Pain in the dungeons (1 Viewer)

RedCents
73¢
Howdy all. Boxing and having a blast. As I learn MQ2 I want to do more challenging content but I’m having trouble with dungeons. My team is SK, Bard, Cleric, and 3 Berzerkers. The team is almost 50 so still young. In open lands I do Pretty well but dungeon crawls are a disaster nearly all the time. City of Mist drove me crazy and Chardok kicked my ass. I can’t control crowds and I have no “oh shit“ option with this makeup. I understand the DPS aspect of my team but survivability is key. I’m in no rush to 115. I just want to enjoy my time.

I manage the SK and he is all roles (puller/tank/assist/looter). With 1 or 2 mobs I seem to be ok. When that 3rd or more shows up I go down. Everything I’ve read about SKs talks more about high level/raid than what I’m doing. How do I get Aggro on adds and not have my DPS stop attacking the one we already started? I can’t find an AE Aggro spell up to my current level.

my cleric seems to be pretty solid with KA heals and the zerkers seem to be doing what they are supposed to do.

the bard is mezzing a single for a while but he doesn’t do any more. I don’t see an AE mez song for him, isn’t he supposed to function as crowd control?

I have a Beastlord I can swap out for a zerkers so the pet can off tank if necessary I suppose. I was also thinking of trading a zerker for a wiz or mage. I figure if I want to make a change this is a pretty good level to do it.

if I did change to wiz/mage is there a way for my current team to PL it near our levels? I don’t see any damage shields for any of my current level toons.

Howdy all. Boxing and having a blast. As I learn MQ2 I want to do more challenging content but I’m having trouble with dungeons. My team is SK, Bard, Cleric, and 3 Berzerkers. The team is almost 50 so still young. In open lands I do Pretty well but dungeon crawls are a disaster nearly all the time. City of Mist drove me crazy and Chardok kicked my ass. I can’t control crowds and I have no “oh shit“ option with this makeup. I understand the DPS aspect of my team but survivability is key. I’m in no rush to 115. I just want to enjoy my time.

I manage the SK and he is all roles (puller/tank/assist/looter). With 1 or 2 mobs I seem to be ok. When that 3rd or more shows up I go down. Everything I’ve read about SKs talks more about high level/raid than what I’m doing. How do I get Aggro on adds and not have my DPS stop attacking the one we already started? I can’t find an AE Aggro spell up to my current level.

my cleric seems to be pretty solid with KA heals and the zerkers seem to be doing what they are supposed to do.

the bard is mezzing a single for a while but he doesn’t do any more. I don’t see an AE mez song for him, isn’t he supposed to function as crowd control?

I have a Beastlord I can swap out for a zerkers so the pet can off tank if necessary I suppose. I was also thinking of trading a zerker for a wiz or mage. I figure if I want to make a change this is a pretty good level to do it.

if I did change to wiz/mage is there a way for my current team to PL it near our levels? I don’t see any damage shields for any of my current level toons.

You're too low level to really get to see the AE agro abilities of the SK and you're too low for bard AE mez. You're going to find stuff challenging until you put a few more levels behind you. I recommend pulling with the bard for singles/doubles or with the SK using FD. You should also realize that the bard can probably charm the stuff you're killing, which means that instead of just mezzing you now have another offtank or dps for a while. It's hard to do that while playing the SK, so maybe put the SK on autopilot and run the bard as assist. I did that for a long time and it worked well.

Yeah up to a certain level tanks needed a weapon for aggro and good armor in every slot. Then a bit higher level you start getting clickies, especially from AAs. Handling EQ dungeons is kind of an artform though. One minor mistake and it can cause a wipe easy. Intense and fun. But you can make sure you almost never die once you have everything set up. Get the bard set up with a good mez section, assuming you are using kiss? My bard would mez something as soon as I brought more than one mob to camp, he was on it. So I can just pull any groups of 2 or 3 and bard mezzes the adds the rest of the group gank the first one. If there is a bigger or deadly group of mobs, then it may be better to pull properly, using pacify line of spells and/or feigning and any other tricks you can find. So say you see 4 mobs and maybe more around a corner, you just cast Lull/Pacify on them and pull a single, and kill it. Repeat to kill them all. It is best to split a tough camp like that too, so that if you stay for respawns, they wont all repop at once. Also park your group way back when you are gonna split a room, to give yourself room to work. Like if you use pacify and it fails, it can aggro the mob and maybe the whole room. So it may be better to let your pacify character die, and just rez them instead of wiping the group. Also once you get a bit higher level and the bard gets Fading Memories then all this gets so much easier :) They can get single pulls every time.

Also it might help to set up a hotkey on your main character that requests your cleric to root a mob. Then if all else fails you could get the mob rooted, and run away or run out of sight and fight any adds and then wait for the root to break. Also make sure the bard's songs are set up well for a melee group and preferably singing whenever combat starts. 3 berzerkers and SK tank with a bard could probably kill stuff fast!

Last edited:
You're too low level to really get to see the AE agro abilities of the SK and you're too low for bard AE mez. You're going to find stuff challenging until you put a few more levels behind you. I recommend pulling with the bard for singles/doubles or with the SK using FD. You should also realize that the bard can probably charm the stuff you're killing, which means that instead of just mezzing you now have another offtank or dps for a while. It's hard to do that while playing the SK, so maybe put the SK on autopilot and run the bard as assist. I did that for a long time and it worked well.
Thanks for the info. I was reading about the bard a bit. I might take a look at using him to pull this weekend.

Yeah up to a certain level tanks needed a weapon for aggro and good armor in every slot. Then a bit higher level you start getting clickies, especially from AAs. Handling EQ dungeons is kind of an artform though. One minor mistake and it can cause a wipe easy. Intense and fun. But you can make sure you almost never die once you have everything set up. Get the bard set up with a good mez section, assuming you are using kiss? My bard would mez something as soon as I brought more than one mob to camp, he was on it. So I can just pull any groups of 2 or 3 and bard mezzes the adds the rest of the group gank the first one. If there is a bigger or deadly group of mobs, then it may be better to pull properly, using pacify line of spells and/or feigning and any other tricks you can find. So say you see 4 mobs and maybe more around a corner, you just cast Lull/Pacify on them and pull a single, and kill it. Repeat to kill them all. It is best to split a tough camp like that too, so that if you stay for respawns, they wont all repop at once. Also park your group way back when you are gonna split a room, to give yourself room to work. Like if you use pacify and it fails, it can aggro the mob and maybe the whole room. So it may be better to let your pacify character die, and just rez them instead of wiping the group. Also once you get a bit higher level and the bard gets Fading Memories then all this gets so much easier :) They can get single pulls every time.

Also it might help to set up a hotkey on your main character that requests your cleric to root a mob. Then if all else fails you could get the mob rooted, and run away or run out of sight and fight any adds and then wait for the root to break. Also make sure the bard's songs are set up well for a melee group and preferably singing whenever combat starts. 3 berzerkers and SK tank with a bard could probably kill stuff fast!

thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m using KA. I think my bard is mezzing, but only 1 and it doesn’t seem to last long. As far as pacify, SKs can only pacify undead correct?

I’ll look at a root hotkey. Not a bad idea. Since I don’t have anything to compare it to I’ll assume I’m killing stuff fast!

Bard can pacify more.

When you get fade (during PoP era) everything gets even easier on the bard. You can pull singles all day long with paci and snare and mezz and fade.

Last edited:
EQ kind of has its eras and you'll see it as you level up.

1-60 you need to play like classic.
60-85 is this weird transitional period where things get odd -- you'll see a slow shift to the heroic game play that many INIs, macros, and guides are written around.
85+ -- Heroic era where many of the boxing strategies folks use works.

survey Says! Bard! I’ll give a go Manning this fella this weekend. I’m so close to 50 I’ll likely just run Mesa as I have been until then. Then I’ll update the inis and switch over for a bit. Thanks for the info all

survey Says! Bard! I’ll give a go Manning this fella this weekend. I’m so close to 50 I’ll likely just run Mesa as I have been until then. Then I’ll update the inis and switch over for a bit. Thanks for the info all

I solo’d the shit out of the bard from lvl 47 until like 55+ doing reverse charm kiting in plane of nightmare. It took lots of concentration, but man was the exp great lol

Update...Everyone is 50 and I switched to manning the bard. I can charm up to 51 with Sionache’s Dreams or mez with Cantata of Soothing. SK is on autopilot atm and seems to be maintaining aggro pretty well. I need to figure out how to tell him to cast Dooming Darkness until it lands. If I do that I think most of my deaths are preventable.

for the most part everything is rolling along. Here is where I need the next round of advice and it not really about MQ2. I’ve been told that level>everything. On the server I play i do not have any older toons for PLing. For now I have to ftp all 6 accounts. because Of this I basically have to play the toons all the way up. With no relevant lowbie guides I’m not sure how to proceed. Do I grind AAs like it used to be? Or do I power to 80+ without them. Since I’m ftp I don’t get the auto grant. can my group handle that content withouht them?

thoughts welcome
thx

Usually, the advice is to sub the tank, so he can get prestige gear and augs which is a plus.
And yes AAs are needed to progress , especially if you don't PL your toon. They will make your toons tank better, dps more, better survivability.
My advice would be to continue to lvl as far as you can without a sub, just grinding the first aas you need, but when it become to difficult to xp lvl without the aas, then sub them at least for a month.
Why? because during that time you will have access to the autogrant, ie each time you gain a lvl aas are autogranted. It will work to lvl 105. So you'll just have to focus on the leveling part.
A month is more then enough to get to lvl 105 i think, even more. With these aas each levels, your toons will be stronger, and it will be easier for you to farm items, gear for them while you are doing xp.

@Branson24 i did this recently with three F2P toons. Went from 1-80 I believe with no PL and no AAs. At the time 80 was the limit where I could group with a higher level character.

The lack of aa/gear was a huge pain in the ass. I used a mage pet to tank and my other two group members (CLR, enc) weren’t very gear dependent, so we just picked up defiant on the way up. I ended up subbing them at 110 after adding them to my main group.

If I was doing what you were doing, I would sub the tank at 70 and try to gain as many levels as possible for auto grant, or switch to the BL pet. You will have trouble with aas later on unfortunately

thanks for the advice folks. I 6box mostly because my time in game makes it extremely challenging to group. I logged in yesterday and 20 minutes later one of my kids needed me for something. 5 hours after that I was finally back in. I have no problem with slow going because that’s the only option I really have. I believe my course of action will be to go 50/50 for a while and go back and do all the progression tasks. That will fill in some armor slots I don’t have anything in. (I realized last night that one of my zerkers still has his newbie chest piece). Ill pick up important AAs as I go And just grind away for a while until it becomes unbearable. Now I will just have to figure out which AAs are most important since most people just autogrant the lowbie ones these days. Thanks again for the thoughts!

FTP is really a shitty option for later levels. If you are never going to go all-access, I would not be in any hurry to level past lower content. I'd stay at those levels and just have fun experiencing the old content on your ftp characters. No rush to ever get higher than, say 75 or so. Defiant is going to be your best option for gear.

If you're open to the idea of subscribing for a month to to grab autogrant, I'd power through to 105, sub up and then use the rest of the month to power level as many AAs beyond autogrant as possible.

Problem is, EQ is not really a FTP game. It's rather deceptive. EQ is very much a p2p game with a free trial that loses it's viability beyond the very early levels.

Pain in the dungeons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back