• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Packet hacking 101? (1 Viewer)

Cybris

Old Timer
RedCents
2,587¢
Hey guys just curious about some things. I'd like to learn about packet and memory hacks and such. I know how to program in C++, how to build data structures and all.

But what i'm looking for is either a web site or a book maybe you guys would recommend for this type of thing.

any recommendations would be apprciated thanks.

You might get a very mixed answer on that cybris. I've been thinking of composing a guide for packets, but really it may be something that unless you've had true networking experience people may not follow.

The easiest thing about these packets is that its just your computer on a pre-setup client to the servers and then through the infrastructure of the SoE farm, so you don't have to work on the frame of the packet too much, if at all, when you're doing any manipulation. Most of it is just re-wrapping a packet that you know exists. Again, it's centralized so that way in an MMO everyone gets to see the same thing, hacks or not.

There are some skilled programmers around here who may help enlighten you further.

The "packet" community is relatively small, and most like it that way, until you become a "trusted" developer. The great packet deities bestowed upon the know that I am about to gvie to you.

You already have numerous working packet examples sitting right in front of you. MQ2Warp and MQ2Piggyzone just to name two. Once you understand structure, then you need to start capturing other packets and figuring out what they do. I warn you though, SOE has been sending out some dummy packets to throw you off off the track.

You could mod the MQ2Warp plugin to spew out the movement packet data. Once you get to that point we can talk more ...

I am relatively new to packets ~8 mons so, anyone please feel free to correct me if I stated anything incorrectly.

Rather than do all the high horse shit about the "underground" dieties etc. and how you must do X to prove yourself before you can become part of an 3lit3 society....

A more natural way to learn this stuff is to take your time and build up your understanding bit by bit, patience is key in everything ...

In order of reading preference..

1. Fantastic book for beginners with an intermediate understanding of C++ or the low level:
http://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Reverse-Engineering-Eldad-Eilam/dp/0764574817

2. One of the best assembly language introductions from a c/c++ perspective (and is relatively modern by comparison to some ancient ASM guides):
http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm

3. This book is extremely useful in understanding the layout of programs written in c/c++ in a static analysis tool such as IDA(Pro) or even OllyDBG etc. Albeit a great wealth of info, I personally feel it's very lazily written, the example are shabby as fuck :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacker-Disassembling-Uncovered-K-Kaspersky/dp/1931769222

4. At this stage I would try messing around with some of your own basic little C++ apps and rip them apart and see how they tick.

It's much easier to learn by understanding the basics of your own program that trying to rip apart a full scale application. Also checking up on the net about injection techniques (theres tons of them, will come in real handy for hooking and messing around with your own little apps).

5. Basic introduction to writing your own little network app that you can hack yourself to get a visual understanding as opposed to wading around in the dark to learn:
http://www.madwizard.org/view.php?page=tutorials.networking.contents&lang=cpp

6. Study the MQ2 source now that you are in a capable position to understand it.

7. Start writing Uber underground h4ckz that only the 3lit3 gods have access to, but seriously a nice follow up is to check out a lot of the examples in sites such as www.crackmes.de, albeit not game related it's all similar in nature of reversing and learning.

Either that or you could just monkey around and hope for the best, that the gods will gief j00 some ins1ghts t0 eq haxx0rs ;)

Good luck, if you need any help just let me know.

Last edited:
I actually like your response mega :) Your pretty much said - everything is under your nose but let me point to it for you. Even better would have been if you have given links instead of books.

I had posted several links, you have lost me mate :)

Heh, I live by informed reading, some of these "internet guide" attempts hurt my eyes normally...

Oh and Turk I wouldn't have "ASM'D", I "DASM'D" ;)

megatr0n said:
I had posted several links, you have lost me mate :)

You mean you don't read books!, or that the links should be to free internet material (which i'm sure I could dig up)?

Heh, I live by informed reading, some of these "internet" guide attempts hurt my eyes...

I meant 'free' net articles. People who are not 100% serious prefer reading stuff that they don't have to pay for. If they like what they see they might buy books later on.

Everything you need to hack packets exists within this forum and the MQ2 source. If you know your C++, then examine the code samples that are here. If you get stuck, PM someone and they may help you.

Packet hacking 101?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back