• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

new crafting guide (1 Viewer)

RedCents
First off this is not mine i just found it on line

EverQuest II Crafting Guide

Introduction:

There are 2 types of adventure in EQ2 – one where you get bashed on the head with blunt objects a lot, and one where you sit comfortably drinking a glass of wine and thinking about all the cash that will come rolling in (or abusing your guild mates in team chat, though I cannot imagine who would do such a thing personally)... Like cheese & biscuits the two compliment each other perfectly. There is a time and a place for both, but without either one (in my humble opinion) there would be something lacking in the other.

Yes, crafting is a long and repetitive process with little reward (at first)... but then so is terminating 1000 sentient beings to gain access to your home again, or massacring 200 gnolls to gain some trinket or other that you outgrew half way through the task.

If you manage to stick with it into the late 30's and upwards you'll reap tremendous rewards making (and selling if the mood takes you) some pretty neat gear for your chars.

I also gain an absurd amount of pleasure from seeing a final creation in use – but that might just be me... Oh, and by the way when you hit level 40 you must find a new place to buy your recipe books – but I won't do all the hard work for you (in other words find 'em yourself ;) )

I am by no means the most experienced crafter in the world but I've done a fair whack (I have 61 armorer, 48 prov, 38 carpenter, 32 jeweller), and I am clearly the only one who is big-headed enough to think they can help you with a few tips written down. These may seem obvious to some, but to others not (as I understand from speaking to a few people about it already). It's stuff you will learn for yourself in the end, but the aim of this guide is to give those starting out in a trade a bit of a leg up.

Getting Started:

To begin on your EQ career talk to the NPC tradeskill doorman in any one of the home towns you might want to take up residence in, and he/she will give you a book (hurrah!). Read it – it's not a manual honest – and then make your merry way to the crafting station of your choice. You will have a few recipes on each station, and each require different fuels. Hit “B” on your keyboard to bring the book up and hover your mouse over the item you want to make to see what ingredients & fuel it uses. The pop-up will also helpfully tell you what you are missing by colouring those components red. Some ingredients are harvested – others like milk & dough can be bought from the fuel NPC, who will also now sell you the rest of the 9 essential crafting manuals AND the advanced books for rare work level 1-9 (this changes from level 10 onward when you will have to find them on dead mobs, or buy them on the broker).

When you progress through level 9 you will have to choose a profession to level up to 10. Just hail the NPC outside your crafting instance again to make that choice (jeeze, in my day you had a whole lot more bother to get qualified!)

Spellbinding Work:

Like casting a spell on the battlefield, you have spells you can cast to combat impurities in a crafting build. Hit “K” on your keyboard and click the Tradeskills tab to review them. They are grouped into sets of 3, each one relevant to a different crafting process. If you're in any doubt about which one goes with what, just start a craft and see which spells are not greyed out and you are able to be cast. Also, make sure you actually READ THE SPELL PROPERTIES when you get them. It's a bit like reading a manual I know, but we can be grown up about this surely? ;P Right click the spell and examine.. open all 3 in a set side by side and see what each one does and how they differ... It will help you in the end I promise. As you begin to craft you will also notice that one spell in each set of 3 uses substantially more power than the others. Keep an eye out for this as it will be important in the later levels when ever drop of mana counts.

Every 10 levels, when you move to the next tier of crafting materials, you will get 3 NEW SPELLS for your skill set. When you get your level 10 spells, compare them with level 0. You will notice one set affects PROGRESS, and the other affects DURABILTY. This alternates each time you level a tier – and you will need BOTH sets open on your hotbar side by side if you want to make maximum progress.

One last note on spells, remember these spells can be used PROACTIVELY as well as REACTIVELY (i.e. to combat an impurity)... If your green bar is dropping, USE YOUR DURABILITY SPELLS!!!! I find that using a combination of all 3 in quick succession can really boost the green, but you run the risk of missing an impurity by casting the wrong spell on it if you do this too much. Also, remember the spell properties. Use the one that lowers your success chance too many times, and you are going to end up with a hand full of charred remains and goo – much like when fighting the end boss of the carpet quest!! ..

And remember to ADD YOUR NEW SPELLS EVERY 10TH LEVEL. Sounds obvious I know, but I forgot last time around in the excitement of getting new books & a new tier to work with. The new set of spells replace those on your hotbar of 2 levels ago, thus keeping the combo of progress & durability in place.

Pristine Perfect:

One of the biggest complaints from low level crafters is not being able to make pristine, and therefore wasting valuable ingredients. Yeah.. it sucks. But it doesn't have to be this way. I cannot remember the last time I made anything other than pristine that I didn't stop myself manually – even as a sub-level 10 crafter. Here are a few simple tricks I have learnt in addition to mashing the durability spells buttons...

Get your skill levels up. Like with adventuring, you need to build your skills through using your abilities. Hit “L” on your keyboard and Look at the Tradeskill tab to check these out. If your skills are not closely matched to your potential you will find it hard to make pristine on recipes your level or higher – so stick to greens until your stats are up if you want to be sure. This can be speeded up by making large batches of stuff that doesn't have to be pristine, and really mashing the hell out of the spells as you make them.

Another trick I have learnt for the lower levels is to start a craft, & mash the hell out of the DURABILITY buttons.. NOT progress... Just before your craft reaches the first green level bar, STOP THE BUILD. You will only use the fuel, therefore saving your precious ingredients, and yet your skills will still improve. It's still a slowish process – if they made it easy everyone would do it and the benefits would be gone!! ;) - but you will get there in the end, and be able to make your pristine items with ease.

Power Levelling:

Nothing beats hard graft and time put in – but there are ways to increase your levelling potential and speed the process up a bit. First of all, working with rares is a great way to level... and you don't need to spend half your life harvesting (like me) to do this. Once you have built up a little cash, start keeping an eye out for reasonably priced rares on the broker. When you find them, snap them up, craft them into something beautiful, then sell them for a profit. Try not to be greedy in your pricing either. The more reasonably priced your goods are, the faster they will sell, thus providing you with more cash to repeat the cycle. Do take into account all the fuel you use though, and the cost of the advanced books for the recipes. When you get to level 60 a stack of fuel costs muchos gold, and rare work requires lots of fuel – meaning a single final item can cost you several gold pieces in fuel alone!! (British Gas seems cheap by comparison!!)

Also, once you hit level 10 (and 20, and 30 etc) you will need to buy additional books, both advanced & essential. When you scribe these, make everything in the book pristine ONCE. Making an item pristine for the first time gives you bonus XP – so even if you don't need the item make it anyway and sell it to the vendor to recoup your fuel costs.

The imbuing books are also available from this vendor (not sure if imbuing is the same since I did it??) and can be bought & scribed at level 19, 29, 39 etc...

new crafting guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back