• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Multiple PCs (1 Viewer)

notgametime

RedCents
575¢
Is there any program here that would mirror MQ setups/ini's etc between multiple computers? If possible, it seems like it would be a good way to copy your "home" setup between say a "work" PC. I tried to look on the forums, but didn't quite find something to suit the need, as most posts were migrating to a new PC.

Myself, I have my home rig, and than a work PC, and an alternative PC when traveling.

Outside of a bringing along a USB drive with some ini/config files saved (and continuously updating it manually), is there a way to mirror my "home" setup for all of these secondary MQ locations? Not sure what kind of security issues that may cause between PCs, but setting some kind of "primary" PC for others to match would be awesome.

Would i be able to use say Gdrive or dropbox or something to upload certain files from my primary setup, or would these files be corrupted or cause any issues once i paste them into my secondary location MQ folders?

If this is already here somewhere I apologize, I am only a week or 2 into playing with MQ and my search-foo is not strong yet.

ty

Is there any program here that would mirror MQ setups/ini's etc between multiple computers? If possible, it seems like it would be a good way to copy your "home" setup between say a "work" PC. I tried to look on the forums, but didn't quite find something to suit the need, as most posts were migrating to a new PC.

Myself, I have my home rig, and than a work PC, and an alternative PC when traveling.

Outside of a bringing along a USB drive with some ini/config files saved (and continuously updating it manually), is there a way to mirror my "home" setup for all of these secondary MQ locations? Not sure what kind of security issues that may cause between PCs, but setting some kind of "primary" PC for others to match would be awesome.

Would i be able to use say Gdrive or dropbox or something to upload certain files from my primary setup, or would these files be corrupted or cause any issues once i paste them into my secondary location MQ folders?

If this is already here somewhere I apologize, I am only a week or 2 into playing with MQ and my search-foo is not strong yet.

ty
you could definitely use dropbox or similar - but you should absolutely NOT use them as the drives you're actively playing from - you don't want your eq/mq stuff to be constantly syncing or changing or reading from *somewhere else*

but backing up and syncing to/from those areas is cool

the mq folder is fully self contained, if you copy it and make sure to export your autologin profiles so you can import them on other machines, thats all you need to move it around

use dropbox or similar

Ya, having the file directly pointing in files in the cloud I would imagine would cause a lot of problems.

(just thinking it through as a possible feature) Would there be a way to add a "sync personal settings" type button on the MQ launcher, that you can direct to a cloud folder (Gdrive/dropbox/etc.), which compares file dates between what is locally saved and what is cloud saved, and if there is a more recent file date in the cloud offer a "update personal settings" type button to do a 1 time sync before launching MQ? I would think you still have to manually update the cloud with your "home/primary" setup, but perhaps there is a way around that manual step as well.

I'm sort of old school. I use traditional SMB file sharing on my network and have a unique identity installed on each machine as an alternate user. That makes it easy to share folders like my MQ folder. (I also share the EQ folder itself so I can easily keep up with UI changes and fixes. This works because I run EQ in the exact same resolution on each machine.)

Then I use a program called FreeFileSync to help keep those folders synchronized.

It's not nearly as bulletproof as using DropBox but my method works even when the Internet is acting goofy.

But the hard part is when you make configuration changes on 2 different machines but forgot to sync the changes. Now you have to remember which machine has the more important changes and let it overwrite the lesser. I keep 5 machines roughly synchronized using these methods.

Question - Multiple PCs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back