• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Macros vs Lua (1 Viewer)

RedCents
728¢
Are there any benefits from switching macros over to Lua? Noticing more Lua scripts popping up and some overlap of older macros that performed the same functions. Just really curious if I should switch off of macros and move over to Lua, or if that's even necessary. I read over some of the documentation/wiki (made my eyes bleed) which read like stereo instructions for a non-programmer, lol. Watched Sic's video on MQNext where Lua was briefly mentioned but didn't really explain what it was, or why it's now a thing. Appreciate any guidance, and thanks to all the Devs for the great work y'all do!

Are there any benefits from switching macros over to Lua? Noticing more Lua scripts popping up and some overlap of older macros that performed the same functions. Just really curious if I should switch off of macros and move over to Lua, or if that's even necessary. I read over some of the documentation/wiki (made my eyes bleed) which read like stereo instructions for a non-programmer, lol. Watched Sic's video on MQNext where Lua was briefly mentioned but didn't really explain what it was, or why it's now a thing. Appreciate any guidance, and thanks to all the Devs for the great work y'all do!
luas allow concurrent usage, similar to how plugins do - versus 1 macro running at a time
luas are arguably easier to write and expand on
Lua has built-in imgui ability to make huds or menus or option windows etc

Lua is a #Real language - meaning it comes with a bunch of stuff "for free", it is much nicer/easier/pleasurable to work with over the home-brew macroquest macro language which has a bunch of "you can't do this, but if you do this 1 weird thing it is almost the same - just dont do *that* or you will break it"

macros certainly still have their place - but anything you're writing from the ground-up would all but certainly be better off by writing it as a Lua

There are really nice Visual Studio Code extensions for Lua available, even here on the boards. This made it much easier for me, to follow the perfect syntax needed to ge the things going. That and the possibillity to run multiple luas parallel, together with the nice still relative new lem (Lua Event Manager) makes me feel much more comfortable. With the macro system I got a view little helper going ... like creating x amount of items with my chanter ore alike. With the help of mq2Boxr now I am able to create tools which modify the behavior of chars in fight in a cooperative way with existing tools like kissassist and ctwn-plugins.
The TLO's are the same as the ones used by the macro system. The Lua's seem to run much more efficent, so they need much less ressources of your system.
The fact, that Lua's can run parallel to all plugins and existing mac makes them much more powerful.

Question - Macros vs Lua

Users who are viewing this thread

Back