• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There was a hotfixtoday. DO NOT PATCH EQ or you'll have to wait for the next MQ update (no ETA). You can play without the patch by using patchme or autologin (preferred). If you've already patched EQ you're out of luck, unless you find someone to share the older eqgame.exe (don't ask here).

Question - locked out of accounts due to chargeback? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
292¢
I've never been locked out of accounts before. It looks like I'm now locked out of a bunch of them and when I tried to log in the reason given was a chargeback. Someone did get ahold of my card a month of so ago and we got a new card. I don't think I had any recurring memberships though and I don't remember if that was the card I had used on any account recently. Anyhow, it sucks being locked out of accounts and am just wondering if there is anything I can do besides put in a help ticket through the website and wait. I tried calling a phone number in an older forum thread and it was not in service.

Something like -- stolen credit card and we had to cancel our cards, just create a new account and let them know what was up. Be honest, upfront, and patient. A chargeback, however, means that there was a charge on your card that was disputed and the merchant (in this case DPG) was not given the money. So, they're pretty adamant about that kind of stuff.

People in the past would do that for things like the digital expansion, charge back and then sell the keys...so they go to war on that stuff, especially around expansion time.

A chargeback, however, means that there was a charge on your card that was disputed and the merchant (in this case DPG) was not given the money. So, they're pretty adamant about that kind of stuff.

Now I am wondering if the credit card company disputed some of the wrong charges. My wife had called to cancel the card once I figured out that somebody had the number and was charging stuff. I guess I could call the credit card company and see if they had disputed any everquest charges. I wonder how somebody got my card number. I always check out the gas station pumps to see if they have a fake scanner. And, I still had the physical card. So, I'm just puzzled how someone got it since I've hardly left the house since covid.

Ok if you reported your stolen card as stolen then when they gave you the new card they most likely gave you one with a new number. Check that the numbers are different (from old statement or online) and then petition and explain.

Ok if you reported your stolen card as stolen then when they gave you the new card they most likely gave you one with a new number. Check that the numbers are different (from old statement or online) and then petition and explain.
What they did was just mail back and said I owed $28. One of the tov xpacs I bought must have been disputed. So, he said to just add a form of payment to the new account I created to submit the ticket, and it would be charged. Problem solved? Well, I just tried adding what I know are 3 different, good cards, and for some reason it would not let me add credit card info and kept giving the error "It appears that the Credit Card information you entered may be invalid. Please make sure that all the required information is accurately entered."

I am guessing that their system is down or something. IDK, fuck this, lol. I will say, on the upside, they got back to me on the customer service ticket a lot faster than I would have guessed.

You can try messaging Dreamweaver on the official discord sometimes he can help
Thanks. I'm back on 4 of the accounts. They made me set up security steps on all the accounts, It was taking forever to go through 2 step authorization, email and phone authentication - because the website is super buggy and always having errors over and over. So, I'm definitely going to try out the Opera browser when I go through the other accounts.

I think every single expansion from the last few years I have had trouble buying mulitple expansions in quick succession. The Bank will flag multiple small transactions as "Fraudulent Activity" and put a block on my CC which usually takes days to get right.
Now I always buy the expansions in a staggered manner. Never more than 2 a day.

As someone who teaches cyber security, assisted in police cyber forensics, and has seen credit cards numbers stolen from cards still in their mailing envelope it is baffling on how card numbers are stolen. So do not feel like you did something wrong. Keep vigilant but accept the fact your number will get stolen.

Ive seen a case where a person got a stack of about 50 cards, all mailed to the same residential address. All used different names and SS numbers. Identity theft or stolen cards are a bitch, but there is no incentive for banks, card companies, or credit bureaus to give a shit. They need the tax writeoffs.

i keep a spreadsheet for all my important auto renewals, when they renew and what account they are coming out of. It makes it a lot easier when your card is stolen. One of my cards did really well. Went 21 years until I took an Uber eats on the other side of the country.

Part of my cyber training (I’m in the US btw) goes into how you should never use you bank atm card for anything other that cash withdrawals from trusted atms. If you do, always use it as credit. They default to debit because it’s in the merchants best interests.

sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the OP

I think every single expansion from the last few years I have had trouble buying mulitple expansions in quick succession. The Bank will flag multiple small transactions as "Fraudulent Activity" and put a block on my CC which usually takes days to get right.
Now I always buy the expansions in a staggered manner. Never more than 2 a day.
I've always done this as much as I can because back when all expansions got charged at midnight before launch, they would all fail except one. Cc companies, especially visa, assume duplicate amounts in rapid succession to same company are in error

Another thing to consider is that the expansions and the sales for EQ are always released around the other major shopping days of the year, black Friday, Cyber Monday etc. Many credit card companies go hyper during this time to be vigilant about unusual charges.

My CC company is sending me quite a few verification emails lately.

Thanks for all the replies. It's frustrating getting locked out but they did answer the help ticket very quickly. I was thinking one thing that some may want to know is to be careful and call your cc company ahead of time and let them know to authorize upcoming Daybreak charges if you're buying a few expacs or something, if you're one that is selling accounts in the ec tunnel. I haven't done this, but, I realized that it could be a problem since they require you to add account details such as a secret word, phone number, name and verify email to get back into accounts that were locked as mine were (and you care about advertising accounts sold free of those tags).

As far as cc security, it's hard to say what you can do stay 100% safe. But, at least cc companies are better today about catching fraudulent charges than they used to be. That can be both a pain in the ass, but a good thing, if they are actually fraudulent charges, too.

Consumer protection laws in the US have come a long way in the last 30 years, it's the reason that security features on your credit card have continually grown (cvv to chip to text messages about purchases).

It used to be that if there was a fraudulent charge on your credit card, the agreement you signed with the credit card company meant that you had to pay it. That's why you hear horror stories of things like bankruptcy over a stolen card. But these days the law says that a consumer cannot be held liable for a fraudulent charge unless they facilitated the fraud. The CFPB is a government agency specifically dedicated to protecting consumer finances, given teeth in many areas after the 2008 housing crisis and predatory lending. But even before that, credit cards in particular were targeted for reform.

So, the reason that credit card companies are hyper vigilant is because it's their money on the line. They have a major incentive to prevent fraud that they didn't have in the past. What ends up happening then is they shifted this to their merchant agreements to offload some of their liability. They can't completely offload the responsibility (which is why you will still see them try to prevent fraud) but in many cases they will try to shift the liability to the merchant by reversing charges and essentially taking their money back. However, there is a short window of time available to do this, so it’s very possible for a credit card company to have to use their own money in a fraud case. This generally makes them care about fraud.

Interestingly, in one of the few cases in the US where this is true, businesses do not have the same fraud protection afforded to other consumers. Businesses can still be held liable for fraudulent charges on their card. Although, since it's the same methods in either case, many credit card companies blanket their fraud protection methods and policies. Still, it is much easier to dispute a credit card charge as a consumer than it is as a business.

Question - locked out of accounts due to chargeback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back