• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Laptop specifications (1 Viewer)

Dutch_SK

RedCents
1,703¢
Heyas all,

Currently I am considering buying a new laptop and would like some feedback on what specifics to aim for.

Personally I am thinking at least a processor with a quadcore, since I am running 6 EQ clients, so the more core's the merrier right? =)

Videocard? Doesn't need to be state of the art I think for EQ?

Memory? 8gb? 16gb? No clue here.

As I said, I am running 6 clients with ISBoxer and KA, so would love some feedback what's important to run EQ as smoothly as possible.

Thx in advance =)

Are you getting a budget computer, or one you could play more than just eq on?

If it were me, I'd get 16gb ram, the gen4 i7s (haswell), and at least a nvidia 750m dedicated video card.

Some people might say you don't need an i7 and get an i5, eff that I say. You already said you wanted to use ISBoxer, which actually makes use of multicore processors, as well as hyperthreading.

Well I have an I5 laptop now with 4gb memory and running 6 EQ clients does give some hickups from time to time (especially when I log them all in at once).

I imagine when I start running KA in the back, it will be even harder to run smooth.

Well to be honest if it is exclusively for playing EQ and 6 boxing the most important thing is are you going to use external monitor or just laptop screen. If you are going to game on the laptop screen you may want a 17 inch form factor versus 15 inch.

I know a lot about hardware but not a lot about your playstyle. if you want to use this for 2-4 hour gaming sessions you can get away with a lot less. However for long gaming sessions and multiple times a week you have to start worrying about the heat generated and can the laptop handle stressing out the CPU + GPU for long periods of time.

Example:

1- Asus laptop has extremely good heat dissipation, tradeoff is that they are bulky and can be pricey. (they do have good prices on tigerdirect.com for these models)

2 - Lenovo Y510p: extremely well built, best specs you can get for the price. However if your going to play for 8+ hours non-stop the cooler is going to hold up but not as well as the higher end asus models.

Anything lower than Lenovo gaming edition style laptops will still work but i have not tested them personally so i can't vouch for them. Just keep in mind the amount of memory you will need is at minimum 8GB i would recommenced 16GB. You may never use past 8 but its nice to be able to have 10 tabs of firefox open while figuring out where to go next in-game.

My playstyles differ each week, longest sessions I make are around 12 hours though (in the weekend).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I know enough to make some decissions =)

If you have a strong back and a few extra coin.. the Alienware 18" is bad axe.
Order with 16gb RAM, drop in a pair of SSD in Raid 0 and replace all heat sink compound with IC Diamond.
It really is a beauty with 18" 1920x1200 display.
Only drawback is the weight. I don't know how much it weighs but you won't need any gym time after carrying it around.

very good point about the IC Diamond, the stock thermal paste on many laptops is so bad that is why they get very hot. However to get to the point where you can replace the compound may void your warranty and insanity (lots and lots of screws to disassemble)

I went for a sager over the alienware. alienware looks kind of stupid, and the sager had similar specs for a little less money.

Also, There have been reports of the IC Diamond paste scratching the dye, though it seems to have been fixed in later iterations of the paste. Just be aware.

- - - Updated - - -

sager, clevo, etc are all the same brand. I removed branding because branding is stupid.

just thought I'd post this since the customer service here is phenomenal: http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebooks.html

If you have a strong back and a few extra coin.. the Alienware 18" is bad axe.
Order with 16gb RAM, drop in a pair of SSD in Raid 0 and replace all heat sink compound with IC Diamond.
It really is a beauty with 18" 1920x1200 display.
Only drawback is the weight. I don't know how much it weighs but you won't need any gym time after carrying it around.

This is what I have, and let me tell you running 6 EQ clients all at max settings is a breeze, and I can run any game out there with amazing mobility. The only downside is the weight, the dam thing is heavy.

Well I have an I5 laptop now with 4gb memory and running 6 EQ clients does give some hickups from time to time (especially when I log them all in at once).

I imagine when I start running KA in the back, it will be even harder to run smooth.

keep current laptop just upgrade memory, and maybe videocard if possible and would be much cheaper than a new L.T. all together

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I have, and let me tell you running 6 EQ clients all at max settings is a breeze, and I can run any game out there with amazing mobility. The only downside is the weight, the dam thing is heavy.

which video card do you curently have the 780?

Question - Laptop specifications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back