• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Is this really happening to me? Am I really even considering going back to a MMORPG?

Saediien

RedCents
A few free weekends when the wife was sick was all it took for me to get a serious hankering to start up the ol' MMORPG machine again. I did the Play the Fae and LOTRO free trials last week.

Not that impressed with LOTRO. Neat art direction and idea, but it is weird to be part of an already established and known story/mythology and the fact that everyone is forced to be a good guy makes it pretty dumb I think. Also, laggy on my machine when ever there were other people around.

EQ2 was surprisingly good! I only ever played for about 30 minutes or so, leveling to 8 on my Fairy and getting to Orc Hill, which is weird but fun in a very nostalgic way. Still, it does seem pretty linear, spoon-feeding quests so that it really feels like a single player game with little exploration. Though I have to say that the game feels very well put together.

WoW is not tenable, I have a hard time handling the bnet kids and people for whom it is their first MMORPG (no offense)--I need a sense of shared suffering with fellow EQ players.

EQ1 just seems like it would be insurmountably strange and complex to me. Antiquated. My once totally awesome 65 enchanter would be a joke now. I would have to learn everything again. And learning is hard.

I might try Vanguard but I don't want to buy a new computer.

Probably, I should learn a foreign language.

Pick up some musical instrument. It's got all the elements of a MMORPG.

You start out gimped.
You have to grind to get better.
The process is tedious, but sometimes it gets fun!
And it's exhilarating once you get better.

And there's a plus over MMORPGs, it actually has some social value!

DAoC has a free 14 day trial right now. It still sucks overall IMO but it's amusing dicking around with RVR and some old quests and such I already did 5+ years ago... They have changed a lot of things about the game mostly for the better. It's much easier to level up now, there are BGs for all level ranges (yes even one for levels 1-4 that is mostly empty), there are a ton more quests and they have made the 1-15 quests a little more intuitive, they have added in some maps, etc. I bitch enough about how much I hated DAoC RvR so I decided I will see what it's like these days so far still seems a bit lacking but entertaining as it's something different and includes a tiny bit of nostalgia.

If you get bored myself and a few friends from RL and the net are playing Midgard on the Ector server. My Valkyrie's name is Sanngrid.

Less "I might be coming back to MMORPGs..." posts; more clicky-clicky. 'Cuz no matter which game you chose, there's still about a thousand guys on your server that are higher level!

Is this really happening to me? Am I really even considering going back to a MMORPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back