• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Interesting Mage Nuke Mechanic - my experience (1 Viewer)

RedCents
451¢
Greetings!

I've been on the forums here for about a month. When I started out I had a group around level 65. I made a second group because I felt I had maybe gone a little bit too safe with my comp and wanted to try something a bit more explosive.

1st Group was SK/CLR/ENC/SHM/WIZ/NEC. Played quite solid but you can probably get the picture of what it was lacking.
2nd Group was BST/BRD/DRU/MAG/MAG/MAG. Was very easy to level up to 65 catching up to my main group with BST as the tank. Obviously without good gear, in later expansions it's not particularly viable.

At 65 I put the groups together and they would cross buff each-other. The SK ran PullerTank and I set my Bard as assist. I played around with the bard once she got a bit of gear and could handle a few hits pulling mob(s). It sped things up but at a certain point I could kill everything in a 700 pull area with just the SK and so I put her back to just assisting.
I tried to set the DPS rotations to work so that each group would get approximately 50% of the kills and so it was a bit of fiddling around with what % to cast nukes at in order to balance it.

At level 77 the Mages got into the "of Many" spell line. The mechanic works as follows:

Shock of Many
MAG/771: Decrease Hitpoints by 1849. 1-2 pets actively engaged on target
2: Decrease Hitpoints by 7865. 3-6 pets actively engaged on target
3: Decrease Hitpoints by 13877. 7 or more pets actively engaged on target
596EvocationLine of Sight
Secrets of Faydwer

Between the 2 groups I had SK pet (1), NEC pet (2), Cleric Hammer (3)?, Wizard Sword (4)?, SHM pet (5), BST pet (6), DRU pet (7), MAG pets (8,9,10). If CLR and WIZ don't count I still have 8.

I moved 1 MAG into the 1st group swapping with the NEC.
I keep control over the xp between G1 MAG and WIZ nuke %'s and G2 MAG and MAG.
Timing is important with these nukes, because the pets need time to engage before the damage really pops off. I found a sweet spot to be around 65% health.
Depending on which group I want to level up, popping LOTD or whatnot I basically only have to change 3 numbers in the ini files.
Whichever group you want to take the kill, move nuke cast % to 65%, the group which I want to take a back seat drop down to around 40%.
The cast time for the Jolt line is .75 sec so with F2P AA's, a mob hitting 65% is basically dead in 1 second. With Twincast at lvl 85 it gets even crazier.
The Mana cost per nuke at lvl 86 is 406-490 which is really really cheap for what the output is. An average hit using the lvl 82 Jolt of Many is 18-23k.
If I could go back in time I'd have 2 MAG in each group and minus the NEC. This may just be helpful in this level range, no idea how much farther it will work out for me but any input/experience would be appreciated! It has been a *blast*

Discussion - Interesting Mage Nuke Mechanic - my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back