• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Improving DPS (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,289¢
What is an appropriate average DPS per class. I've been boxing my caster group and have a general idea of what their average DPS is so now I'm looking for ways to improve on it.

Right now as an example my mages are average about 100k dps. I don't know if that is on par or needs to be improved.

My ENC is coming in around 50k-60k dps.

Is there a recommended range to where you are okay with their output? Also this is in The Overthere. I'd like to go to GD and test as well but my toons are 110 at the moment.

Thanks.

Asking that question in that way is almost entirely better to get an answer of "how" to improve dps rather than what it should be at.

this game is complex - there are "givers", "takers", and some "both" in there.

some people think running 1 tank, 1 heal, 4 rog (or zerk) is the answer - but without bard or bard/bst for adps, you're robbing your toons of buffs to help them out

from what you've said we know you have more than 1 mage, and an ench - but what else? do you have 3 healers? cause that'd be rough, do you have other pet classes that are increasing your ofMany spell line on the mages? like necro (also gives group mana) or bst (also gives huge group adps and sustainability)

what is your gear? at 110 f2p you can use ToV T1 gear, which will make you destroy everything.

what is your aa like? are you autogranted all the way up?

what automation are you using? this and how you have it setup are going to drastically change your dps.

- "my neighbor bob who has never played a video game and only has 1 eye due to a chili cookoff accident in '95 is manually playing the toon using chopsticks" is going to probably do less than rgmercs or mq2mage

What is an appropriate average DPS per class. I've been boxing my caster group and have a general idea of what their average DPS is so now I'm looking for ways to improve on it.

Right now as an example my mages are average about 100k dps. I don't know if that is on par or needs to be improved.

My ENC is coming in around 50k-60k dps.

Is there a recommended range to where you are okay with their output? Also this is in The Overthere. I'd like to go to GD and test as well but my toons are 110 at the moment.

Thanks.
Good DPS is subjective...i think if you can oneshot Griklor the Restless in under 9-15 seconds you're in the right range regardless of class...
triple h fighting GIF by WWE
cute kids GIF

Without more information best we can recommend is to max AA, make sure that you have the best possible gear/augs. Get Rk. II or III spells on all your characters. Make sure that you are properly buffed before fights. Ensure that you're using abilities in an order that generates the most DPS. Get Heroic AA's from all the possible Achievements. Last but not least, don't die. You do less DPS when dead.

Depends, there is no standard agreed upon method of measuring DPS. Levels, boss abilities, trash abilities, duration, buffs, underwater, dodging auras, etc all make measuring DPS a moving target.

From my parses using EQlogParser during 4 events, with level 120 raid geared human players:
Mages: Average 900,000 DPS
Chanters: Average 400,000 DPS

Asking that question in that way is almost entirely better to get an answer of "how" to improve dps rather than what it should be at.

this game is complex - there are "givers", "takers", and some "both" in there.

some people think running 1 tank, 1 heal, 4 rog (or zerk) is the answer - but without bard or bard/bst for adps, you're robbing your toons of buffs to help them out

from what you've said we know you have more than 1 mage, and an ench - but what else? do you have 3 healers? cause that'd be rough, do you have other pet classes that are increasing your ofMany spell line on the mages? like necro (also gives group mana) or bst (also gives huge group adps and sustainability)

what is your gear? at 110 f2p you can use ToV T1 gear, which will make you destroy everything.

what is your aa like? are you autogranted all the way up?

what automation are you using? this and how you have it setup are going to drastically change your dps.

- "my neighbor bob who has never played a video game and only has 1 eye due to a chili cookoff accident in '95 is manually playing the toon using chopsticks" is going to probably do less than rgmercs or mq2mage
So my group is made up of the following:

SK/CLR/ENC/MAG/MAG/NEC. The NEC is only 93 so I am leveling her up at the moment. Gear is not the top FTP gear but maybe a little less. Think conflagrant or higher. My SK and mage have pretty much full Snowbound gear atm.

Regarding automation I'm using standard INI files I downloaded form RGs. I wanted to start with a pre-built INI and tweak.

AAs on most of my toons are autogranted. The SK and Mag have more, at least 20k.

Depends, there is no standard agreed upon method of measuring DPS. Levels, boss abilities, trash abilities, duration, buffs, underwater, dodging auras, etc all make measuring DPS a moving target.

From my parses using EQlogParser during 4 events, with level 120 raid geared human players:
Mages: Average 900,000 DPS
Chanters: Average 400,000 DPS
Cool. Yeah I'm definitely not expecting to get anywhere close to that with my box crew. haha

Feel free to check out this google doc. May give you inspiration for your actual combat routines for the various classes you have. I specifically mention that doc because much like your characters, some of the guides are outdated, and may suggest you use things that you have to use.

Alternately you could log into the test server after doing a test copy and see how what you're doing stacks up to the plugins. No harm in a free peak at your group all runnin the plugins.

Those numbers are fairly easily attainable with box groups if you have the right setup. My silver mage with EM23 (haven't gotten the new drop yet from NoS) is averaging about 800k to 1m dps non burn. That's in a group of pal shm bard mage nec wiz. As others have pointed out, dps is heavily dependant on a solid rotation and group composition to maximize. I just shared the ini file in the library if you want to refer to it and possibly reverse engineer it down to your level by replacing spells with the earlier versions. I've found that with the recent change to the "of many" line having 100% chance to proc theft of essence, I now focus on casting swarm pet then immediately follow it with the "of the many" spell to buff the swarms around it. Additionally, having bard nec and mage all pumping out swarm pets makes that "of the many" line hit pretty hard when buffed by the mage synergy from casting the swarm pet. At 120, regularly seeing crits in the high 2m range, which isn't bad considering the mage has no prestige gear, augs, and/or rk 3 spells.

Those numbers are fairly easily attainable with box groups if you have the right setup. My silver mage with EM23 (haven't gotten the new drop yet from NoS) is averaging about 800k to 1m dps non burn. That's in a group of pal shm bard mage nec wiz. As others have pointed out, dps is heavily dependant on a solid rotation and group composition to maximize. I just shared the ini file in the library if you want to refer to it and possibly reverse engineer it down to your level by replacing spells with the earlier versions. I've found that with the recent change to the "of many" line having 100% chance to proc theft of essence, I now focus on casting swarm pet then immediately follow it with the "of the many" spell to buff the swarms around it. Additionally, having bard nec and mage all pumping out swarm pets makes that "of the many" line hit pretty hard when buffed by the mage synergy from casting the swarm pet. At 120, regularly seeing crits in the high 2m range, which isn't bad considering the mage has no prestige gear, augs, and/or rk 3 spells.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check it out.

Question - Improving DPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back