• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Idea (1 Viewer)

Gnomicide_Unit

RedCents
10¢
Anybody who plays a rogue and takes an active interest in the sort of damage and critical hits theyre scoring knows that watching that spam can get pretty boring. Alternatively, just watching the mob bounce around and recoil during a fight can be equally as mind numbing...

So I was thinking about other games like PSO and Gunz methods of reporting damage and it got me wondering.. would it be possible, utilizing the /popup command (pops words up on your screen like the ones you get for updating a task and things), to create a plugin or macro that would watch for critical hits, particularly high damage backstabs, and double/triple backstabs and report them that way? Mabey even the sum of the double/triple backstab damage in question? You would receive messages like:

"2468 Damage Crit!"
"Double Backtab! (2900)" where the two stabs added up to 2900, get it?
"TRIPLE BACKSTAB! (4196)"

I envisioned something like PSO, where the reports sort of cascade one on top of the other if more than one should occur immediatly after the first, like when using disc's that increase crit rates... an effect i beleive the /popup command already has...

...anyway, if this makes any sense to anybody, think its worth throwing something together? Perhaps even make versions for other dps classes?

Put some lines as they appear in your log, where you deliver a crit. Replace the name of the character with something else, f.ex. Toon.
Also some lines where you just give regular damage, both with backstab, punch, kick, bash, smash, whatever so as to catch every possible way you deal damage.

I might take a look at it as time permits..

Yes, one of the beast hunter macs gives a text on screen effect once its finding mobs. I'm sure you wouldnt even need to scan logs. Just have something setup event wise to watch for criticals, doubles, triples etc from your toon (Hardcode his name in)...

Last edited:
text that the plugin would be looking for would be:

"Toon scores a crititcal hit!(X)"

and

"You backstab mob for X points of damage."

For the second it would be looking for that line to be repeated twice or three times, because when a double or triple is landed, no matter how much spam there is, I have never seen a break in between the lines. So in reality, its looking for:

You backstab mob for X points of damage.

and

not even sure if it can be done, but i thought i would find out =)

Ok just to try to make this a lil more simple ... without mq2 even .... open a new chat window reduce it to 2 or 3 lines then under filters send melee/critical hit iinfo only to that screen then you see all the crits in one screen and only crit damage. Ya I know it wil be everyones crits but quick easy way to do it. i also reduce the alpha to 1 so it goes invis when not selected.

I'm pretty sure it tells the rogue flat out if it is a double or triple....?

no, we get 2 or 3 lines of "you backstab...." in a row, just like any other melee's double attack or triple attack. We don't control when it happens, it just does or doesn't on any given backstab.

Interesting response.

Presumably coming from a player who, when confronted with the repetitiveness, tediousness, and difficulty of certain aspects of EQ, could choose to play an easier or less time consuming game, but prefers to simply bypass some or all of those aspects by utilizing MQ2.

However my suggestion of coming up with a small plugin that could alleviate some of the repetitiveness and tediousness without resorting to AFK botting and no more complex than a simple visual effect is met with:

Go play WoW.

Not trying to start anything, just an observation.

But I suppose I should have used the resources already available to me to try and learn howto do it myself before requesting it here. My apologies. I guess i'll try my hand at it now.

Ask and you shall recieve.... Here is a snippet to add to your everyday macro you have in use for your rogue to display a popup for your total backstab damages, along with single/double/triple/quad. Just make sure in your mainloop of your macro you have a /doevents in place so it will process the event trigger.

Rich (BB code):
#Event backstabpop "#*#You backstab #*# for #0# points of damage.#*#"

Sub Event_backstabpop(damage)
/if (!${Defined[stabtimer]}) {
	/declare stabtimer timer outer	
	/declare stabs int outer
	/declare stabdmg int outer
	}
/if (!${stabtimer}) {
	/varset stabtimer 1s
	/varset stabs 0
	/varset stabdmg 0
	}
/varcalc stabs ${stabs}+1
/varcalc stabdmg ${stabdmg}+${damage}
/if (${stabs}==1) /popup Single Backstab for ${stabdmg}!
/if (${stabs}==2) /popup DOUBLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!
/if (${stabs}==3) /popup TRIPLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!!
/if (${stabs}==4) /popup QUADRUPLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!!!
/return

In the event that you dont have a macro you run continuously... here is a standalone macro you can just copy/paste into notepad and save in your macro folder as "backstab.mac". Then in EQ type "/mac backstab". All this will do is popup the backstab totals. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rich (BB code):
#Event backstabpop "#*#You backstab #*# for #0# points of damage.#*#"

Sub Main
:mainloop
/doevents
/delay 1
/goto :mainloop
/return

Sub Event_backstabpop(damage)
/if (!${Defined[stabtimer]}) {
	/declare stabtimer timer outer	
	/declare stabs int outer
	/declare stabdmg int outer
	}
/if (!${stabtimer}) {
	/varset stabtimer 1s
	/varset stabs 0
	/varset stabdmg 0
	}
/varcalc stabs ${stabs}+1
/varcalc stabdmg ${stabdmg}+${damage}
/if (${stabs}==1) /popup Single Backstab for ${stabdmg}!
/if (${stabs}==2) /popup DOUBLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!
/if (${stabs}==3) /popup TRIPLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!!
/if (${stabs}==4) /popup QUADRUPLE BACKSTAB for ${stabdmg}!!!!
/return

Idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back