• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How is the state of Live EQ? (1 Viewer)

Ionis

RedCents
3,624¢
NOTE: Not intended to flame or rag on Live in any way, genuinely curious.

How's the state of Live at the moment? I heard the launch of CoV was pretty rough and I haven't played since EoK but I always find myself wanting to come back but deterred by the popular opinion that it isn't in the greatest shape (may just be the people I surround myself with). That being said, I usually 6-box and paying for 6 expansions just to be disappointed and hop back on prog. or something isn't necessarily what I'd like to do. What are y'alls opinion(s) on the current state of Live EQ? Thanks dudes! :)

Side question: Is there a quick way to get the old Hero's AAs or do you still have to go back and grind all of the progression from CotF onwards, that was always a big turn off for me but isn't that big of a deal if the current state of Live is worth investing in to.

How's the state of Live at the moment? I heard the launch of CoV was pretty rough and I haven't played since EoK but I always find myself wanting to come back but deterred by the popular opinion that it isn't in the greatest shape (may just be the people I surround myself with). That being said, I usually 6-box and paying for 6 expansions just to be disappointed and hop back on prog. or something isn't necessarily what I'd like to do. What are y'alls opinion(s) on the current state of Live EQ? Thanks dudes! :)

Side question: Is there a quick way to get the old Hero's AAs or do you still have to go back and grind all of the progression from CotF onwards, that was always a big turn off for me but isn't that big of a deal if the current state of Live is worth investing in to.

I haven't played ToV or CoV so can't speak to those. They released up to TBL as free to play. If you want to give it a shot, you could test copy your team and try things out on test, at least level to 110 and check out RoS and TBL missions, then make a decision from there.

I think you would need to do the old progression still for hero AA

definitely some growing pains with all the dbg changes, and some of the unexpected stuff - like sale of dbg, covid, holly leaving, losing devs, etc.

having said that, and recognizing that tov and cov are pretty low-bar as far as expansions go, I'm hoping we have some good times coming. they at least *talk* like they have some good stuff on the horizon, and it looks like they will continue to do good stuff in the future - but maybe i just like kool-aid.

Right now, for live, it is a great time to get up to speed, as it is pretty "mellow" at the moment - and demand for raiders vs demand for gear is pretty low - I know a few people server hopping with their alts to raid gear them all up more quickly.

if i were coming back to the game right now, july 2021 - I would just worry about getting my toons caught up to TBL, max AA'd with the tradable tov T1 gear (which is 110, non-prestige and awesome), and I *probably* wouldn't buy xpacs until pre-sale for next xpac goes live.

definitely some growing pains with all the dbg changes, and some of the unexpected stuff - like sale of dbg, covid, holly leaving, losing devs, etc.

having said that, and recognizing that tov and cov are pretty low-bar as far as expansions go, I'm hoping we have some good times coming. they at least *talk* like they have some good stuff on the horizon, and it looks like they will continue to do good stuff in the future - but maybe i just like kool-aid.

Right now, for live, it is a great time to get up to speed, as it is pretty "mellow" at the moment - and demand for raiders vs demand for gear is pretty low - I know a few people server hopping with their alts to raid gear them all up more quickly.

if i were coming back to the game right now, july 2021 - I would just worry about getting my toons caught up to TBL, max AA'd with the tradable tov T1 gear (which is 110, non-prestige and awesome), and I *probably* wouldn't buy xpacs until pre-sale for next xpac goes live.

I have up to ToV, I should've been more clear that's my bad, I played up to EoK, took a break and then came back when ToV hit and played up til the first couple ToV missions and dropped due to certain prog. server launches and personal gripes.

Honestly, I think I may have been too harsh and didn't give it enough of a chance. Last time I raided on Live was in RoF but I definitely would like to get back in to it if ever the chance and if you think there's good things on the horizon here it definitely may be time for me to get up to speed. I know about the dev changes/leaving mid-CoV, Holly leaving and all that so I could definitely give it a pass on just staffing issues.

I think I'll give it a go and see how it is.

I haven't played ToV or CoV so can't speak to those. They released up to TBL as free to play. If you want to give it a shot, you could test copy your team and try things out on test, at least level to 110 and check out RoS and TBL missions, then make a decision from there.

I think you would need to do the old progression still for hero AA

Right on, I have up to ToV as I said in the above message, sorry I didn't clarify that was my bad. Sucks that there's no skip for the Hero AA (akin to T5 merc skip kind of thing), but I'll just have to suck it up in all honesty. Maybe I'll write a macro to do all the easy stuff for me. :)

I like the current state of Live, but I'm super casual and treat eq like a solo game 99% of the time. I was on break during CoV launch and when I was looking to come back, I read some unflattering stuff on the eq boards and decided to follow one person's (not sure if we should name names here?) lead and skip CoV and just pick it up for free in the next expansion. In the meantime I've lately been working the RZ ear on my main and leveling a pet BL at the same time. I think I'm in the minority as really liking ToV though (minus the focus on mission xp). There's plenty to do there, just gets old the more alts you run through everything. That said, I will be glad to get out of the snowy, white and blue environments.

To be fair EQ has never been and never will be a flawless game. Still quests from 1999 and 2000 that are broken, though a try at fixing most of those can't be ignored. EQ is always a game of being pretty rough. Whether from statflation, lag or just quests that go live that people can not beat. Even raid geared. Still we persevere. Play the game, see if you like mucking through and as far as Progression goes it isn't as fun as an open world, I do agree, but that was done with a long, long time ago. EQ has evolved so much it does not even resemble the original game. Just try it see what you think, ignore all the naysayers.

Last edited:
There are no shortcuts, although, with a max level group in current gear, those old content quests and missions are nearly trivial. I wouldn't worry about those. They're basically "chase" content for min/maxers. If you are going to eventually raid on live, def do them. But if you're not interested in raiding, I wouldn't worry about chasing Hero's AAs.

Well lots of good advice here.

I have left the game many times and come back many times(obviously) I enjoy COV/TOV because velious was one of my fav expansions.

Def come back and grab some non prestige gear and FTP for awhile, see how things run for ya. can always krono your tank and leave rest ftp for quite awhile.

Despite me bitching about expansions, I really like live. Six boxing is fun, content is available, nothing is too busy, etc. Some of the servers also have robust open raiding systems, too, if you want to raid but can’t commit to a raiding guild. I tried a TLP and quickly went back to live. Being weak wasn’t fun, nor was the TLP drama.

Question - How is the state of Live EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back