• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

How does /fade work? (1 Viewer)

dustbunny

RedCents
Basically, I am asking how risky /fade is as opposed to /warp...I would like to understand exactly how it works tho if anyone would explain it please.

Since I'm bored here is a lesson, and I'm only gauranteeing 50% of this info is correct =b

VOID SimFade(PSPAWNINFO pChar, PCHAR szLine)
{
CHAR szMsg[MAX_STRING] = {0};
if (pChar->Instance != 0)
{
DestZone = *((int *)(&(pChar->Instance)-1));
}
else
{
DestZone = pChar->Zone;
}
sprintf(szMsg,"Fading...");
WriteChatColor(szMsg,USERCOLOR_DEFAULT);
DestType=0;
ZoneReason=0;
Y=pChar->Y;
X=pChar->X;
Z=pChar->Z;
HaveWarped=true;
Heading =(int)pChar->Heading;
ZoneChange=true;
return;
}

When you type /fade, it sets up variables for rezoning.

At the very top of mq2piggyzone.cpp there is a comment:
int DestType; // 0=use supplied coords 1=succorpoint
So if DestType = 0, it will evac you to the provided coordinates, otherwise you go to succor point.

Zonereason would be 0 if you're plain old zoning, 11 if you died, rest I don't know.

HaveWarped is so another function will block packets that try to detect warps (I think).

ZoneChange will set a variable that will call the zoning function inside of EQ itself.

From the looks of it, (this is my first time looking at this code), it looks like /fade just tells eq you zoned and you zone, while warp actually sends out packets that cause you to move. (note /fade does prevent detection type packets of some sort from being sent out, but not that it makes much of a diff).

/fade calls MoveToZone and sets the Zone ID to the current zone id and uses your character's XYZ locs as the zone to locs. ZoneType is set to 0 = specify coords and reason is set to 11 (teleport).

Here's the function and reason enum.

Rich (BB code):
MoveToZone( int ZoneID, char *ReasonText, int ZoneType, int Reason, float Y, float X, float Z, int Heading)

Rich (BB code):
enum ZoneReason
{
	ZoneTransfer = 0,
	ClickZone = 1,
	VehicleTransfer = 2,
	Summon = 3,
	GotoPlayer = 5,
	PortalSpell = 7,
	ZoneCommand = 8,
	Resurrect = 9,
	Death = 10,
	Teleport = 11
};

In terms of risk, /fade has the same risk factor as any zone. No warping is involved. However, if you are in a group and you fade to lose agro, people notice you zoning in and out at the same spot. Use with caution.

/succored the other day in Direwind (succor & fade) and ended up naked at my bind point! No messages about what killed me, nothing. Didn't think it a good idea to petition, anyone else had this happen?

It can take several seconds for the server to update your position, even though the client is at the succor point. So if you faded a low health, the mobs probably smacked you down.

Or... you succor'd then zoned so quickly that the server never updated your position at all. So you never made it to the succor point serverside before zoning and got plowed.

How does /fade work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back