• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - HDD or SSD? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
Quick question. I have 3 drives on my pc. 1)an ssd for Windows and apps. 2)a hdd for files and backups. and 3)a ssd for my games. Currently MQ2 was extracted to a folder on my hdd. My question is if MQ2 have any performance boost (lag prevention) if it was installed on my Game ssd? Lag isn't a real issue for me but I like to optimize when I can.

I moved the game to my SSD a few days ago. Logging in and zoning is slightly faster but not much different really, not sure why. Other games load twice as fast but something about EQ seems pretty determined to take its sweet time doing everything. I assume it is a network latency thing. But it is a bit better anyway. As for MQ2, I can not really tell any difference, although it was running ok on my normal disk so there is not much to go on. But for me the peace of mind was worth it. I figured even if my healers only react 2% faster, it could be enough to save me sometime :)

You should experience an improvement when zoning and when loading the game up.

Pretty much all applications/games should go onto SSD.

Cool. I do have most of my apps and games on either ssd's. I like that setup. Hoping to find out if MQ2 would benefit. I think I am going to move that directory today I think.

I moved the game to my SSD a few days ago. Logging in and zoning is slightly faster but not much different really, not sure why. Other games load twice as fast but something about EQ seems pretty determined to take its sweet time doing everything. I assume it is a network latency thing. But it is a bit better anyway. As for MQ2, I can not really tell any difference, although it was running ok on my normal disk so there is not much to go on. But for me the peace of mind was worth it. I figured even if my healers only react 2% faster, it could be enough to save me sometime :)

I was thinking what you were thinking. Going with a raid with 2% improvement (or how little) could mean the difference in benefiting the guild with my toons or a full wipe. ok maybe not that much difference but I will move my MQ2 directory to the ssd sometime later in the day. Thanks guys.

Personally I use my SSD for OS only. I want to preserve life by eliminating as many writes as possible. So, I put all apps I can on my Raid array and especially move the internet temp file, temp file dir and the paging/hibernation files off the SSD.

I find the OS much faster making everything faster and a good network connection, processor, enough memory and good video card take are of the rest. Other than startup and zoning, I doubt very much the game reads a lot of data from the drive. As gse7en put it, its mostly network and DBG severs response that controls a lot of that.

If I really didn't care about the life of the SSD and file safety, I guess I might get 2 SSDs, 1 for all OS and one for high disk usage apps probably including games.

Your mileage might vary. GL.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for clarifying advice on how to distribute os and apps on ssd and hdd. I am misunderstood I am afraid. I have my apps, os, and games already between the ssd's. I have had that way for a while. I even cache with a ram drive. Very nice load up time for both my OS and games. And prevents multiple writes from the same files.

In my inquiry I should have been more precise. How about Red Guides Macroquest2? Does it benefit plugins and macros for MQ2? I will see if I can update the thread title so there is no confusion lol. Thanks for all you advise so far. I appreciate it.

Update: sorry guys. I cannot find a way to edit the title. I tried.

Last edited:
Question - HDD or SSD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back