• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Hardware Question (1 Viewer)

FunWithUs

RedCents
Has anyone ever tried playing EQ on a dual processor computer?

I want to make a workhorse computer that can run multiple characters all at once under Windows 2003 Standard Server, but I am wondering if EQ and MQ2 can run on that type of setup.

Hardware I am considering is a Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 512mb video GForce video card. The same server is going to be doubling as a multi-media server to convert home movies to DVD and such as well, but I was just hoping that if I bought the system I am considering, that I would be able to play EQ on it too.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice. :)

It does work, you can have Each processor handling x number of accounts (probably about 3-4 each, RAM dependant. Personally I'd suggest getting one of the AMD X2's though, as they seem to perform far better than most dual proccie setups now :-S

My understanding of duel processors is that the software has to be written to use the 2nd processor. For example, Windows will see the 2nd processor and use it to split threads, however, everquest is only written for a single processor so it won't get any benefit out of a 2nd one.

you can have Each processor handling x number of accounts (probably about 3-4 each

Is there other software that allows you to assign executable processes to a specific processor? How would you go about doing what you have described?

FYI, any OS that supports SMP (scalar multi-processing, a.k.a. 2 CPUs...) supports what is called "Processor Affinity". Processor Affinity allows you to assign certain programs to run on a specific processor. I believe in 2k3, this option can be enabled by editing your everquest desktop shortcut properties, but don't quote me on that. I do know for sure that you can assign a process to a CPU via the task manager.

-CodeCaster

Hardware Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back