• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Game Complexity at Higher Levels (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,936¢
So I've been considering coming back and playing a 6-box on live. I've played on several of the recent TLPs but my situation has changed away from being able to raid and participate in organized content, so something where I can go at my own pace has been more appealing. I have a lot of experience boxing and using MQ2, but my question is really about character complexity 105+. There are so many AAs and new abilities since when I was most in tune with the game around DoN, are there good resources available for learning these in terms of what's effective or not? If I did box, I'd probably use CWTN plugins. But I do like knowing the characters and what their abilities do should I need to more actively use them. It just feels like a very uphill climb to learn these and wanted some input if this is something that's true, or maybe just me reading too much into it.

So I've been considering coming back and playing a 6-box on live. I've played on several of the recent TLPs but my situation has changed away from being able to raid and participate in organized content, so something where I can go at my own pace has been more appealing. I have a lot of experience boxing and using MQ2, but my question is really about character complexity 105+. There are so many AAs and new abilities since when I was most in tune with the game around DoN, are there good resources available for learning these in terms of what's effective or not? If I did box, I'd probably use CWTN plugins. But I do like knowing the characters and what their abilities do should I need to more actively use them. It just feels like a very uphill climb to learn these and wanted some input if this is something that's true, or maybe just me reading too much into it.
Everquest is a complicated game with a lot of buttons and a lot of choices to make. many things do the same/similar things and there are a lot of "oh i didn't realize that".

it is really just a matter of playing the game.

Fortunately most overlandy type content is designed for the average group player and get progressively more difficult as you go into mission - you often have 2 easier and 2 harder missions to kind of give that balance.

once you have "the trick" everything is easy because there is a lot of copy/paste similarities that end up being second nature once you have it figured out.

everquest can easily feel overwhelming if you try and take in the entirety in one breath - add mq on top of that, and it is daunting.

hop in and have fun, you'll be doing great in no time.

and welcome back :)

I think you'll be fine using the CWTN plugins. At worst you may leave a bit of DPS on the table...
dps on the table?

none of the automation options allow any characters to do things outside of things that are possible for the characters, and each of the different automations also have design choices which would do x instead of y or prioritize a over b etc. so its a trade-off. but to say leaving dps in the tab is probably a bit silly. it isn't like using cwtn over xyz means they're pushing a button any harder than something else =p

this was like last february before my team had cov t3 (i'm a group geared pleb, so no raid gear, they didn't even have 18/19 + accuracy augs at this time, no rallos ear, i don't even think mount yet)
1637952452594.png

dps on the table?

My reasoning was based on the human decisions to game aspects like which AA to purchase, or which gear to equip, not to automation factors. For example, a returning player might not understand the significance of loading up on good Type 3 and Type 5 augmentations or power sources. With the CTWN plugins he can be sure the automation will just make the best use of whatever it has to work with. The OP will gradually learn what enhancements have potential value. I think that's part of the learning curve he was questioning.

for someone just getting back into the game, i like to suggest that it is good to set your feet situated before you start jumping into things that are just going to either overwhelm you, or things like paying for things that might not fit your needs/wants.

RGMercs might be a great solution for you, they're a macro suite that offers out-of-the-box minimal configuration, but no licenses to get, and they have all the classes available, and then if you decide you'd rather configure/tinker yourself you can always do kissassist/muleassist etc for their more granular specificity.

you can do all content you're trying to do with any of the different automations available, so don't feel pressured, take some time and check out what is right for you

then if you're lazy and don't mind a little pocket change, you can look into the cwtn plugins (and you can always /testcopy your toons onto the test server and try them with your lvl 2 redguides sub - no license cost - for the mq2 test server version so you can decide what is right for you).

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind paying for the licenses, I actually have used them quite a bit on emu and some on test, so more than fair to pay for them now. But BD did have it correct in that a lot of my trepidation is there's so many AA abilities, gear numbers are just obscene to look at #s wise, and even progression stuff I don't know what's valuable and what's not like DoN resists, who needs 2.0s still, what's even been added I don't know about. I've seen a lot of this info scattered around but wasn't sure if there was a great resource to access it, or if it's just piece by piece.

I do think that just tackling it bit by bit is helpful advice. I was more curious on just is the complexity I'm envisioning self inflicted, or reality? It seems like more the latter, based on your responses. Which is ok! Just something I need to consider and was curious about.

Welcome back! there is alot of *new* since you were on live, but EQ always had alot of depth. Make your team, and ask questions (here, in the discord and in game). EQ in general and 110% the RG people are super helpful with MQ questions and class questions.

I love the CWTN plugins. RGMerc's is a fine (included) option. Both work very well and are updated to level content (can use CWTN from 1-115, RGMercs.. ive used it 50-115).

KA is an amazing tool. If you main a class, or are highly familer (picky) on how things are done, its the way to go. There is a large pre-made library, but the great thing about KA is that can be your start, then you customize per class, per level, per group or raid roll.

I would also use Next vice MQ2. Its cleaner, less buggy and the soon to be (TM) RG offical automation core.

There are lots of guides out there on the interwebz about how to do EQ gud. Get your google fu on and you can find in-depth reviews about how to play every class in the game at a high level.

Question - Game Complexity at Higher Levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back