• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - EQBC vs Dannet (1 Viewer)

RedCents
7,333¢
I was wondering if someone would have the time to explain some of the plusses and minuses of switching to Dannet from EQBC? Does KA11 perform better with Dannet? I noticed things like IHCMercs require it. Are there any hiccups during the transition besides changing macro commands ( I know the Dannet overview has a clear translation for commands)? I did a forum search but couldn't find anything (or just stink at searching).

you will find a lot of information here https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/mq2dannet.67218/

just keep in mind, there is a learning curve for the commands but there are a couple guides floating around with simple and clear conversions.

pros and cons. really its going to boil down to personal preference. some people are rooted in eqbc, some are not.

i know a lot have run both at the same time while they convert.

TLDR; I find Dannet to be an even or better swap for EQBC, with fewer problems.

I found the only hurdle being the switch from one command method to the other. remembering which command to send was the only difficult part. Dannet has a bit more nuance capabilities, but otherwise there's no appreciable difference if all you're wanting is a direct switch. I do find I have much fewer issues in regards to the EQBC server lagging out over time and not responding vs Dannet never having those issues as it doesn't use a server. Dannet has much greater functional capability with broader options, but if all you're wanting to do is switch from one to the other, it's a relatively simple and easy process. Just have to re-train your brain to use the new commands and 1 slash instead of 2.

One Guide: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/mq2dannet-users-guide-moving-from-eqbcs-to-dannet.69597/

Well, I guess ymmv. I know some folks have reported those issues, I've not had any, and I've been running with it for the past five months. I'm not sure what's causing the problems, but probably plugin interactions.

Well, I guess ymmv. I know some folks have reported those issues, I've not had any, and I've been running with it for the past five months. I'm not sure what's causing the problems, but probably plugin interactions.
its reportedly an interaction with windows which causes it - but just the fact that this exists has caused some headache for a few members.

From a comparison standpoint, DanNet is more similar to EQBC with Netbots, but there really is no versus. Use EQBC for the things you like EQBC for and use DanNet for the things you like DanNet for.

DanNet excels at getting information from one character to another, for example, whereas EQBC doesn't do as well there.

EQBC excels at crossing IP boundaries and DanNet can't do that.

The reason macro writers use it is because it is much easier and more user friendly to write a macro that uses DanNet to pass information than it is to use EQBC. But that doesn't mean you have to replace one with the other.

I've been running MQ2 just fine without crashes. Last night I fired up dannet for the first time trying to assist with a complicated nested ${If statement that utilized Dannet. We were having some undesired results from the plugin and were trying to get it sorted.

Initial thoughts. It's certainly useful for collecting information from other characters that are otherwise inaccessible.

exspes is not wrong that there is a learning curve of sorts. Dannet has some useful functionalities and the command line setup needs to be quite a bit more complex in order to achieve the results as a by product.
Dannet does not require that you load a server since it's a peer to peer connection.
Now with that said, Dannet cannot connect outside of the network. It's local only, so you cannot connect to dannet from the office or whereever it is you go when you are trying to play EQ that is not located where the characters are running. (This is what Knightly means when he said EQBC excels at crossing the IP boundaries that Dannet can't do)
I had dannet loaded for about 45 mins or so and it crashed the toon I had it loaded on when I zoned. It generated two crash reports and those reports are exactly like the ones people have been sending me to get me to try and fix their crash. They are in KERNELBASE and ntdll. Neither of them give me useful information. But I have NEVER got a crash in either of those prior to using dannet and it happened after loading it and the first time I ever zoned with it loaded. So I unloaded it and don't feel like I've missed anything because I never really used it long enough to become attached to it. It's a great idea, but unless I can use it without crashing then I'm going to avoid it if possible.

Hopefully the crash gets worked out of it. If so I'll likely give it another spin. Until then I'm back to ole faithful, EQBC which does pretty much anything I want it to do.

Last edited:
Question - EQBC vs Dannet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back