• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - does using nav decrease fps (1 Viewer)

timmy

RedCents
1,363¢
anyone experience a noticeable decrease in fps when using nav to either move across zones or using chat or kaen's hunter macs?

the hunter macs always make my dudes stutter step while they move to a target and while it's annoying, i assumed it was nav being awesome and making insert_large_number_here calculations per second and causing the toon to stutter step as their path was being constantly adjusted.

but using nav across big zones also seems to give me some serious fps decrease.

not complaining. super happy with nav. just curious if i'm the only one, or if it's related to processor power or the maybe the phase of the moon.

anyone experience a noticeable decrease in fps when using nav to either move across zones or using chat or kaen's hunter macs?

the hunter macs always make my dudes stutter step while they move to a target and while it's annoying, i assumed it was nav being awesome and making insert_large_number_here calculations per second and causing the toon to stutter step as their path was being constantly adjusted.

but using nav across big zones also seems to give me some serious fps decrease.

not complaining. super happy with nav. just curious if i'm the only one, or if it's related to processor power or the maybe the phase of the moon.
I've seen some issues running one of the farm macros if i use a very large radius like 30k or something stupid, but i haven't seen any fps issues with mq2nav

When you say noticeable decrease, can you give actual fps numbers? are you seeing a spike in cpu usage or memory usage?

(btw, I love your avatar, iksar skellies are my favorite char model)

no actual numbers, just my arbitrary qualitative observation. a lot of help i am, i know.

but it is real. at least, it appears real. the normal sluggishness you expect with video lag but only when using nav to cross large distances. i rarely use nav like that, but tonight i was moving a toon across frontier mountains and it just so happened that another toon i was grouped with was at the zone line of korsha. i rarely, if ever, target things that i shouldn't be able to target (across a zone, for example) but we were grouped and i was being lazy, so i targeted the group member and /nav target. nav worked perfectly and allowed me to get some fresh water while my toon ran, but the video lag (or what i'm describing as video lag) was very noticeable. sluggish movement of the toon. lower fps. again, i have no numbers and i suppose that makes all the difference but whatever phenomenon i'm describing was over as soon as the toon reached the end of his navigation.

the hunter macros kinda exhibit the same behavior. a sluggishness in the video/fps. but they also are doing their little stutter step dance routine, which i've always attributed to nav making a lot calculations and/or my computer being crap. maybe they are related, maybe not.

p.s. i agree, iksar skeleton is a fantastic model!

Wondering if it has more to do with the navmesh size than just distance, there are only a few zone with bigger navmesh's than FM, I get the stutters here too but I'd say I travel longer paths in some other zones without stuttering

Question - does using nav decrease fps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back