• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Does nobody care about copyright anymore? (1 Viewer)

Frybread

RedCents
31¢
Everyone bashes the RIAA for putting thieves in jail.

Viacom asks youtube to stop stealing their TV shows, and everyone cries murder.

Allofmp3.com is a russian site that sells albums they don't own for pennies, giving artists nothing - and everyone on the internet thinks it's great. Not one blogger has suggested a boycott of allofmp3, and I've checked.

buysealand.com exists to create a country without copyright.

This leads me to believe that nobody cares about the ownership of intellectual works anymore.

At the first college of Sealand, I will turn in the exact same paper as my roomate and get an A.

You missed out a key one, iTunes v Limewire.

The UK has to pay retarded prices from Apple so Limewire just gives us summin' free. So I really don't give a fuck about ownership as long as its free (this excludes anything involving MMOs)

I almost got kicked out of high school my senior year for plaigerizing a summary about the book "Pride and Prejudice" that I absolutely refused to read, but I dropped out and switched to a charter school before disciplinary action could be enforced. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, I just printed out some summary from the internet, switched the paragraphs around, changed a few words and turned it in.

THEFT IS SERIOUS BUSINESS, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE STEALING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Thinking back now I feel really bad for doing this, because I totally ripped off a piece of work from some guy who voluntarily read that shitty book.

I've read a few discussions on the topic of the RIAA busting thieves for downloading music and it's been brought up several times that the money they collect from these lawsuits doesn't even go to the artists that were being ripped off in the first place. Isn't that really the point of them going after these people? to collect the damages done by taking free music and giving it to those who own the intellectual properties?

I guess the only reason people are not boycotting such services is because it is very hard to convince the public to sympathize for multi millionaires in situations like this. For the same reason people are saying "Holy shit dat bitch ams crazeh!" when they hear that Britney Spears shaved her head to avoid a follicle drug test, entered herself into rehab, then checked out in less than 24 hours instead of saying "wow I really feel sorry for her I wish there was something I could do to help."

Regardless, these people are entitled to whatever profits they should be receiving from this distributed property and thus suing 12 year old kids for downloading the entire Hanna Montana discography on their grandmas computer is completely justified. I know that if somebody took my Woodshelf the Emo UD Priest stories and tried to pawn them off as their own I would most certainly threaten to punch their faces through the internet, and if that didn't work I may take into consideration legal action. Brb going to go copyright all of my articles.

I just sold your Woodshelf stories for 100 zillion dollars :ohyeah: are you going to beat me up now?

The people buying Sealand already live in a country without copyright laws, and that wouldn't change the fact you'd still get busted for dl'ing from them.

I don't think it's a problem of morals; I think it's a problem of quality. Are you really going to buy a CD from Mr. Latest and Greatest if you only want one song? What if they were recommended by a friend whose music tastes are hit-or-miss(for example, someone who listens to Clutch[awesome] and at the same time Linkin Park[godawful])?

I remember a few years back I got a cd by this band, the Union Underground. They're okay, I mean, they had one song that I really liked, and I hoped to god the rest of the album would be good. Unfortunately, the entire rest of the album sounded like one gigantic track. So, crushing disappointment and a waste of thirteen dollars that still colors my viewpoint on the subject.

The long and short of it is, out of a $15 album, the artists get maybe like $2-5 total, depending on how many fagmorts are between them and their fans. I'd prefer to spend that $2-5 to pay for an album's worth of content, maybe an extra dollar or two for their producer if it's a really well-done album, but that's about it. And, when you add to that the griefer-like tactics of the RIAA and the MPAA and similar organizations, you find that I am less and less likely to support an organization who behaves as they do.

I'm not even sure I'm still making sense. I kind of zone out when I type long stuff, and Scrubs is on.

tl;dr: I love music, but fuck the record industry for being bigger assholes than they people they're trying to stop from being assholes.

To me downloading music, plagiarizing, etc are right up there with speeding in terms of it being a nono. Everyone does it at one point or another, if you get caught you deserve what you get. It's not a matter of whether or not it's a huge moral issue. It's simply against the law.

Why I personally would download music? Mostly because it's convenient. I can load up just about any P2P software out there, do a quick search, and find exactly what I want in a matter of seconds, and assuming it isn't too obscure have it downloaded in a matter of minutes. It typically comes in an easy, portable format (mp3) and in most cases you have a larger selection. Most importantly though, I don't have to sign up for anything or give anyone my CC#. I admit buying music online is becoming easier as time goes by and eventually I will probably start using more legit methods. I would only buy a CD these days if it was so obscure that I couldn't possibly find it by some other means. *shrug*

A bit of a square

I always pay for downloaded stuff. Two reasons:
1. I believe the original artist deserves to be paid for their work
2. I cannot be arsed fighting off the many viruses, spyware and keylogging attempts that come with P2P or shareware downloading

I buy originals because they sound the best and there is less hassle, you can always end up with a dodgy torrent by CDs are guaranteed to have what you want on them, as are DVDs.

What it really comes down to is letting people listen to music before they buy and if they really like it they will buy it, and if they don't then they probably are too tight and would never "lash out" on such luxury items anyways.

To me downloading is only a good thing, it allows people to hear bands that might not be sold in their country or they've never heard of and that is always a good thing.

As for paying for downloads, may as well pay for WoW gold because in the end all you have is a bunch of electronic data and I can't justify spending money on something I can't touch. Even if you burn it to CD it's not the same w/o the artwork on the cover and CD.

As usual I wrote way too much, enjoy!

I download MP3's and movies all the time, but I don't make up excuses for what I do. Artists should have a right to their work.

if you get caught you deserve what you get.

Exactly, when grandma gets pulled over for speeding, bloggers don't seem to care. If grandma steals a few songs and gets caught, look out internet! There's been an injustice!

One thing about legal downloads through itunes and stuff. Mostly those sites or programs are not clear about what format the song is in, making it hard to put on some MP3 players or even play on your computer.

I used to download a lot of crap lately I pretty much stopped doing that and started buying more, just that my taste of music is totally not buyable in the stores in this god forsaken country :( oh cruel world you make me download crap.

As for paying for downloads, may as well pay for WoW gold because in the end all you have is a bunch of electronic data and I can't justify spending money on something I can't touch. Even if you burn it to CD it's not the same w/o the artwork on the cover and CD.
Surely, then, you'd bring issue with paying your WoW monthly fee?

Going back on topic: No, they don't give a fuck.

The problem with copyright is that it seems to swing vastly in both directions, on one hand you have the music industry who make vast quantities from artists and then you have the free download people, who`s only legal cd is a copy of sing along barney they got when they were 6.

I have downloaded the odd song myself (usually because if it cannot be gotten on a cd here), but i generally buy most of my music, so im in the grey area between the two above.

Imo though industry doesn't seem to help itself, people really dont feel guilty when they hurt what they perceive to be a company made of rich executives and a bunch of spoiled artists who live in mansions.

As a side note its going to be interesting how things are going to turn out with the rise of things like youtube.

Well on top of that you have the clusterfuck that is DRM becoming a very large reality over the next few years. I don't want to deal with that bullshit. I prefer portable formats that I don't have to worry about my fucking hardware drivers meeting some bullshit microsoft standard to be able to play. I know it's nitpicking but I don't like dealing with bullshit I consider unneccessary. *shrug*

I think i should be able to download stuff for free, but ppl should have to pay me for the time I spent downloading it.

pms

Does nobody care about copyright anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back