• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Did you see the macroquest quote from community summit report by gemdiver? (1 Viewer)

portlimo

RedCents
I don't recall seeing this posted here yet....

From http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=9856

Community Summit Report (October 2005)
submitted by gemdiver

Quote:

I brought up the still unresolved issues with macroquest. According to Grumbuk, there is a tracker that is currently running passively on the servers that can detect nearly all hacks done by macroquest. It is currently operating in passive mode while a few crinks (innocent acts showing up as hacking) are worked out. Once it is worked out and the code is activated, players in an invalid state will be automatically suspended and will have to call customer service in order to have their account reactivated.

End of Quote

If this has been posted please disregard

port

em:struggles to find info to get another honorable mention

Last edited:
Yeah... I don't know how they will do it, but I have a feeling any active hacks i.e warping etc are going to be caught by this "passive system".

No doubt it will reside on the server, and I'm 100% certain they won't be trying to scan your harddrive etc. I think it will simply take into account how many warps, and various anomalies occur during ones playtime, and record this data to a log for GM's to monitor.

The only thing Macroquest is going to be good for is macroing. And that's it. Which IMHO is worth its weight in gold. I do have a feeling however the macroquest geniuses will figure out how the servers are detecting it, and blow that puppy wide open. No doubt about it.

Big heads up for the 26th patch.

This may or may not go live then. And don't expect to see it in the patch notes. I.e "New cheat detection software ENABLED!!"

hehehe

They announce it because they want people to stop using MQ2 out of fear of bannings so they dont lose half their paid accounts to auto-bannings.

This will likely backfire on them.

I think what he means by 'invalid state' is things like 'hiderun', where you character is hidden, but moving, etc... Im sure it will look for other things too, like warps and all. warps are probably hard to differentiate from lag spikes, succors, etc... but in enough quantity i'm sure they will draw their attention. They just need to be careful.

Im sure what they are doing running it in passive mode, is trying to get a handle on what percentage of their paid accounts are cheating. I suspect they are going to be sadly dissappointed to find out that its a higher percentage than they thought.

I've been using both ShowEQ (since day1) and MQ2 (since I came back a few months ago), and no one that I play with in game even suspects me except for a few people who I know in RL that play on my server. I would be willing to bet that the perecntage of players using MQ2 is higher than they think, and the fact that those players tend to have multiple accounts (I have 5) means that turning on some kind of auto-ban tool on the servers will likely have a big impact to the game economically.

My prediction is they will be conservative with this, and only ban the most blatant cheaters (which is what they are already doing for the most part).

It's been said many times, if you don't want to get banned, dont get noticed by other players. If you get petitioned, you are almost surely done-for, as they will correlate the information in the petition with the 'evidence' their new server tools are collecting, and if it jives, you'll likely get banned.

Did you see the macroquest quote from community summit report by gemdiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back