• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Detecting SI mobs (1 Viewer)

RedCents
572¢
Haven't seen anything like this, but was thinking of making a macro or Lua to detect SI mobs while travelling. Found the spawn TLO member 'SeeInvis' on the Wiki, but it seems to just return NULL (not undefined).

Is there a way to determine if a particular mob sees invis? Or is this considered an 'off limits' hack / cheat capability?

I believe the SeeInvis bit got lost between MQ2 and MQ I recall adding it, but just happened to have been done during the great transition of NoTwo. So it would need to be added back. I was using it for /mapfilter custom SeeInvis.

But honestly it was a touch flawed anyway. I believe the issue was that SeeInvis was tagged on mobs that could SeeInvis, but Undead can SeeInvis innately. But I wasn't checking for Undead in the SeeInvis check. So you'd need to check for both in order to know if something could see invis. Then with SeeIVU it needs a whole different set of checks.

Stupid question, couldn't you compile a list of known see invis/see ivu mobs and then just have the script read out of that file for the zone you are in? It means it will need to be built of course but then you could have the macro/Lua script look for mobs with those names when traveling?

Stupid question, couldn't you compile a list of known see invis/see ivu mobs and then just have the script read out of that file for the zone you are in? It means it will need to be built of course but then you could have the macro/Lua script look for mobs with those names when traveling?
That sounds like quite the undertaking. maybe something one could do for a single zone/area perhaps, but as a whole it's not a good design choice if an alternative is available.

I'm guessing body type would work as a base default. Add in race, mob type (a wandering scary thing), and specific mob overrides (if 100% accuracy is the goal). As Chat points out, it's still down to being zone specific and taking a lot of work to get right.

Usually we create an issue for merges that we saw but didn’t merge (typically on things that need more work than what was in MQ2 since there were a lot of “half working”) things that got implemented while we were working on releasing MQ. However, I don’t see an issue for that one. I can look back at the old code to see if I can find it but if you have a commit link that would jump start it.

One of the issues with See Invis mobs is that there are multiple ways for a mob to see invis and there’s not an easy way for you to know which method is causing them to see you. Some mobs can see invis but not SoS, for example.

Going to the “see invis list” idea — just because a mob can spawn with the potential to see invis doesn’t mean they WILL see invis, so you would have a lot of false positives with this method. You could make a potential list of see invis mobs but that seems like a lot of work for finding out if you MIGHT be seen.

The best way to know if a mob sees you is to con it.

What we're missing is the spawn search keywords for see invis, but if this doesn't even work, its pretty moot.

I'll add this to a my list of things to look at when i get the chance...

Question - Detecting SI mobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back