• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Choosing next computer build... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
I enjoy pushing the envelope with the amount of characters I box at once. I'll likely be getting a gtx 1080 to go with the build. The main concern is if quad channel memory (and added memory bandwidth) will help this or not. I'm thinking it will, which makes me lean towards an i7-5930k rather than an i7-6700k. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

More cores/threads -> more characters you can box at once reliably assuming there is enough RAM

that GTX1080 is awesome for 4k gaming but is not going to help much in EQ. You could get by with something like 750Ti if you only wanted to play EQ.

So get 5930k +32GB RAM and you should be able to box 24 np and probably 32.

I'd even get 64GB RAM and see how many you can box then.

I built my desktop 14 months ago at this point with dual 970s, an i7 5820, 32 gig of DDR4 3000 ram, and a second gen M.2 SSD. it is more than twice the stats of my laptop (other than cpu) and my laptop was capable of running 12 instances without issue. I am the first person to load in every dota 2 match typically in under a couple seconds, where as the laptop often took 30 seconds or more. My guess is it is because the M.2 drive is stupid fast. The same thing happened when i played EQ, the SSD created stupid fast load/zone times and was a bottleneck that I hadnt thought about previously. Now my bottle neck is my router (that I plan on upgrading today).

So my biggest suggestion is make sure to have the latest gen 3 or 4 or 5 M.2 SSD for max speeds. Then worry about RAM (because with everything turned on it was eating 1 gig of RAM per EQ instance, so 64 is much better than 32 if you are thinking over 15 instances), then focus on cores, because more is more. For graphics, a 1080 is most likely fine, but.. dual cards bro!

Tech - Choosing next computer build...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back