• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Careful (1 Viewer)

Gavin

RedCents
Just a heads up, a guy mentioned today to make sure you do not have MQ2 running after this next patch. He gets ALOT of information from GM's being friends with them. Sony is NOT done with the bans and am being told that they will have a way to scan for MQ2 server side. How this works without them scanning my computer illigally I dont know (possible change to the EULA). Just if you dont want to be banned take a little extra care. Wheather or not you think this is just fear spreading or rumours is your choice.

Gavin

How much faith do you have in said person and are his sources credible? We've heard this particular song and dance many times. To be on the safe side, I'll probably personally not use it for a day or 2 if this all checks out and let some of the more gung-ho diehards test it out. I doubt, however, that they're installing sniffer software. High alert and nazi crackdown mode on active cheating yes ... actual serverside detection software though?

Is this thing supposed to be along the same lines as what blizzard has implemented?

Next patch is when?

If its true they probally using a version of the program that WoW uses.No worries here thou have not and never will use MQ

Well...my first response is...MQ2 will most likely take at least a day, probably 2 after patch before it gets out without all the quirks. I never run MQ2 after new patch, with warps and such, for at least 3 to 4 days because of the very thing that happend with all the bannings last time. Be smart people. We all know Sony is stepping up security, so just lay low for a while. I'm so tired of the whining and complaing like "OMFG I got banned! Sure I was running for 3 months non-stop with bard macro and I have 50000 aa's now and 10000000000000 platinum, but those jackasses banned me." Stop being greedy, if you're greedy it ruins it for all of us. If you get banned, it's your fault, stop being dumb.

Drozes,

I hardly think leveling a toon with the bard macro and getting him all his AA's greedy. Far from it actually. As far as the plat is concerned, your killing for it also, why not just loot it?

I do agree with the OP however. The patch got pushed off till tomorrow morning, at 4am PST. Was supposed to be today.

From everquest.com:

Upcoming Update

The next scheduled update is planned for October 27, 2005. Here are some of the things that are currently planned:

* New Default UI Skin
* Modifications to DoD Missions & Loot
* EverQuest will now use the Operating System's mouse so players can easily go between applications while in windowed mode
* Take a look at Kithicor for some holiday fun
* Players will have the ability to make their helms invisible
* Improved controls in the guild bank
* New command for opening a web browser from the game command prompt
* New Audio Triggers command
* Fix for the Pet HP for items
* Fix for the loss of mana/HP while zoning

Please join us on the Test server to see some of the changes.

This update is being pushed back to 10/27 in order to ensure adequate testing time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause

The testing I believe may be their new server side software. If this is the case, give Lax and the boys some time to hack it and iron the kinks out before using MQ2 again. That is, if you value your accounts.

I know, the game WILL suck ass without using MQ2.... my .02

I didn't need this post to come to the conclusion that MQ2 will be taking a haitus from my PC. My thoughts would also be to stay of the MQ2 for awhile.

Let them rest on their laurels again.

The greedy part I was referring to is more in reference to continue doing the same things over and over that get certain people caught. I.E., running a macro with 15 toons at one time so you can get all 15 aa's. As far as the comment about "doing the killing"... He's not doing the killing for the plat, a macro is doing it for him. I'm not opposed to using macros at all, but when a large scale ban is in place and Sony is watching closer, people who do dumb things SHOULD be caught and banned. It just makes it much harder to use the exploits when people get selfish. Use 1 or 2 toons to level and get aa's and plat, I think it's great. When you're afk 6-boxing you're probably going to get reported.

Just a thought, but don't they need to notify if changes to the EULA are made?

Either that, or they must let people know that scanning software will be in use?

I find this hard to believe. How can they have a program thats serverside that can tell what I am running on my computer... unless it isnt completely serverside and its checking stuff on my computer.... They can and will check for things that tamper with the command stream I am sure. Any of these plugins which change/handle packets are definitly dangerous. But alot of MQ only emulates Keystrokes... how can they check for that?

They have in place already code to track active hacks warp/shared/nokos... they have just been tweaking it so as not to get a false positive off of it. MAybe they have that tweaking done now and are going to implement the second part of the code, which is insta ban when it reads something that shouldnt be there...

So much misinformation...

Yes, Sony does have code in place that validates the client/server communication integrity. Anything mucking with the datastream or the local client and making it execute invalid commands will send up a red flag in Sony's logs. This code has been in place for months now and if you've warped, ghost killed a mob or transfered NO TRADE items, then you're almost certainly in a log file somewhere. Over this time, Grumbuk and possibly others have been manually reviewing these logs, investigating the people in them and tweaking the detection code to eliminate false positives and refine what it can detect. There have been approximately 1000 bannings over the past 2 months with minor offenders simply being warned.

Once the powers that be are happy with the detection code and feel confident that it isn't flagging innocent people, then it will begin to automatically and instantly suspend accounts. Warp somewhere with MQ, or anything else for that matter, and you'll go LD and come back to a message that says your account is suspended and to contact Customer Service. I'm almost positive that this code has not gone live yet, but Grumbuk is probably just passing sections of his logs over to CS for suspension. Since Sony has no interest in needlessly losing customers, all but the most severe cheaters will get a warning/suspension or two before being permanently banned.

I've spoken to Grumbuk in person about this, this isn't some 3rd hand knowledge.

----------

Based on talking to the devs/coders and what I know was already in place, the following are true.

Sony is not and will not scan your machine for anything other than what is required to patch the game and some system info if you've checked the box allowing it.

Sony can not detect a piece of software running on your box, so long as it isn't actively meddling in the EQ memory or data stream.

Sony can not detect macroing that merely feeds input to the client application through DirectX input, although these still violate the EULA in most cases.

Sony can not detect a program which sniffs and decodes the EQ datastream, although these most definitely violate the EULA.

Sony can not detect and have no interest in programs that read the EQ log file for information/alerting purposes [i.e. EQWatcher]. These programs do not violate the EULA.

Sony can detect macroing or a 3rd party application that modifies the data stream or fiddles with the memory in the EQ application.

Customer Service requires proof of somebody cheating/hacking before they will suspend them. These logs are more than sufficient proof, they will not be manually investigating them.

Unattended macroing is a violation of the EULA, but requires manual investigation because it is hard to detect. It will most likely never be subject to the auto-ban code, but certain repetitive actions can be detected and flagged. Expect the GMs to have a little extra time to investigate them though, since they won't have to deal with hacks anymore.

If you're actively using a 3rd party program to hack EQ now, then you're already in Sony's logs. If you haven't been suspended, it's only because the auto-ban code isn't live and because Grumbuk doesn't have the time to manually investigate everyone. Once the code goes live, you will be instantly and automatically suspended if the code flags you.

--------

Sony will probably never truely kill MQ and the truth is, they don't have to in order to be successful. If they eliminate the most blatant abusers and make it too risky for the average person to use, then it will slip into the shadows. People will still continue to macro with it at some moderate risk and I'm sure a few enterprising people will even figure out how to circumvent the detection code.

From a very reputable source.

I have my fingers crossed. Anyone from Quellious on here that got banned? I know at least 6 guild members I roam with that MQ, and a few that say they have used the shared in the last few weeks (I have not in over a month), and still no one has been banned.

I will of course use caution before using any obvious plugins, but I could live with just the macroing capabilities of MQ and be happy. Being able to know the moment a mob pops, use maps to find them etc are pretty much client side and doubt detectable by SoE. However finding a new way to transfer stuff would be a nice objective to have in the future. :cool:

there may be something to all this, just tried to log into mq2 sight and it is not available, anyone else have any luck? They closing up shop maybe?

Well, if SOE doesn't screw up the monster missions, I'm fairly happy without MQ2. I'm mostly a casual gamer, and so I had fallen behind in the aa race with the hard core people. Now, I can get 10 aa's in an evening with no problems without having to afk kite. Nobody cares that my gear sucks or I don't have 533 aa's, and I can play on even ground with everyone else. Of course I'm fully expecting this patch to fubar the good times. Well, keep your fingers crossed. I still love the mapshow command, moveutils, and twist. Been staying away from warping/gating.

Haven't been able to get to macroquest2.com since about 3pm est today. Also pings dead.

I think the fact that their site is down is pure coincidence.

It will be interesting to see what the next week or so brings.

I'd like to have the macroing portion back, if that's all we can safely use. I'm 100% fine with that. It's the no. 1 reason I got into it to begin with. All the extras were simply candy.

We'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and as far as a server side check is concerned, movutils and such may give results that are way too consistent, and thus can be easily monitored.

Client side, there are tons of possibilities.
Just check for teh MQ2 chat window.
Check through your UI files. (as mentioned earlier)
Just have the program check to see what dll's are attatched to it.
Scan it's address space where all the offsets are, and send a flag if they are not what are expected.

Dont know if this have something to do with this topic but this weeks something weird happend to me a lot of time.

Whenever I log on EQ with MQ2 running, I see a message : MacroQuest unloading

And then Im send back to server select, I relog 4 time and always this that happend, next day everything was fine...

I dont use macro anymore (since the ban) and I dont use warp, but I can't live without the MQ2 map...

Meave,

Pure coincidence I think. I haven't had that issue yet. I would "think" you've got nothing to worry about atm.

ismods.com, lavishsoft.com, eqwatcher.com, macroquest2.com all off the air. I'm guessing they are all hosted on the same server at Lax HQ? He having hardware problems?

Gavin said:
Just a heads up, a guy mentioned today to make sure you do not have MQ2 running after this next patch. He gets ALOT of information from GM's being friends with them. Sony is NOT done with the bans and am being told that they will have a way to scan for MQ2 server side. How this works without them scanning my computer illigally I dont know (possible change to the EULA). Just if you dont want to be banned take a little extra care. Wheather or not you think this is just fear spreading or rumours is your choice.

Gavin
Im sick of the " I heard from my moms 3rd cuz three times removed sons fathers moms milkman" stuff
Its not hard if you use MQ2 you stand a chace you will be baned Just my 2 cents Now i wish pepole would stop making new post to the same thing. There is all ready about 5 just post in one of them....

.... So whats the chances of them going though and sniffing for oh say .... VT gear on lvl 12 toons or such.

Makes me wonder if I should do some gear deleting now.

Checked through and there were no changes to the EULA at all concerning anything about detecting and/or reporting any software running on your machine.

It states in the EULA that a notfication eithr through email, the game, or through thier website are the only places that ammendments or changes to the EULA are made. I checked everywhere and nothing changed as of yet.

So, if they dont have it in the EULA, they can't use it.

Doesn't mean it won't happen, so if anyone wants to confirm that they are trying to sniff what we have running, feel free.

Careful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back