• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Better DPS, monk or rogue? (1 Viewer)

Well I normally run with 2 mages but I am pondering a mage swap. I tried a zerker, rogue and bst but their DPS paled to the mages. I never ran with a monk and was curious. But I don't want to waste time PLing another class that does 1/3 mage DPS.

Last edited:
Without a shaman and bard to focus the melee I’m not sure that is what I would add to the group. I can say that with war/shm/brd/bst/rog/zerk the zerker, rog and my buddy with a monk all out parce my max AA mage.

I run sk/shm/brd/mag/dru/bst. My mage is my top dps, almost kicked it before mqMage. Bst is generally second, followed by sk. Level 114ish, not many AA.

For your group I’d take a caster, probably best with the second mage you have. I love my bst though seems to do sick damage at times.

if you had a shaman / bard I’d say more melee.

He didn’t say fraction just pales by comparison. Depending on what he is running them on this could be valid. Mages do some great DPS.

Ordeal, personally I would keep the sixth as a caster (wiz or mage.. druid if you wanted other utility but I would pick mage) versus a rogue or monk. I have a blast (pun intended) with a war clr enc magex3.. (alliance) but I thought about putting a wiz in for one of the mages on that group to see how it does.

Well I normally run with 2 mages but I am pondering a mage swap. I tried a zerker, rogue and bst but their DPS paled to the mages. I never ran with a monk and was curious. But I don't want to waste time PLing another class that does 1/3 mage DPS.

If you don’t want to waste time I’d go back and look at what you are running disc rotation wise on the ber and/or rogue. I’ve got 115 of all those classes + monk, bst, mage,wiz, necro, ranger (newest and least optimized dps). Ber/Rogue were by far the easiest to get up and running and blow away my mages dps (I also run 3 mages so using many + alliances non stop).

If you want better dps but don’t want to plevel - I’d look at optimizing the rogue/ber. No way they should pale compared to mages (unless aa is very low).

I invested in the mq2rogue plugin figuring that would max my dps but didn't see much difference from the KA ini. Granted he could use more AA but the gulf was ridiculous.

It seems that since I don't use melee enhancers (bard and shaman) and use an enchanter I should stick to casters. Thank you all for the input.

I invested in the mq2rogue plugin figuring that would max my dps but didn't see much difference from the KA ini. Granted he could use more AA but the gulf was ridiculous.

It seems that since I don't use melee enhancers (bard and shaman) and use an enchanter I should stick to casters. Thank you all for the input.
Well any setup kiss or mq2 rogue or otherwise is going to only be able to do what your toon can do. Missing skills, aa, gear, augs, hstats, clickies etc have a huge impact.

Comparing a new toon to a fully pimped out one is a rough compare.

Rogues will also do more dps with the right adps (bard, shaman,bst, even rng) feeding them - no adps and no one using poisons to proc their alliance isn't great, and rogues also do substantially more on humanoid creatures.

Ill go with the old troupe *play what YOU want*.. however, the class synergy is a real thing, and if your looking for best bang, it helps to align the class.

That being said, I run multi groups, as follows sk/shm/bst/brd/zerkx2.. unbelievable DPS. All melee all the time.. great on grinding, great on short intense encounters. war/clr/brd/rogx3.. decent sustained, decent burns, not terrible, not great, good mix. sk/shm/bst/enc/magx2 pretty decent on grinding, short burns kinda meh, but if the fight is longer then 30 seconds, those mages start to wreck.. so group boss/raid encounters, def can shine. sk/dru/enc/necro/magx2.. meh in group, druids/necro arnt built for high impact, fast target.. ok on group bosses.. longer (1+ min) encounters, they are energizer bunnies..

Your original question dint seem to have alot of synergy, but thats fine, your play time, you know what you want... many good suggestions, with your first question, id go monk.. however other options there.

Question - Better DPS, monk or rogue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back