• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Bard vs Ranger (1 Viewer)

Killertoxin

RedCents
412¢
hail all.

I currently run a 6 member team war/clr/brd/ber/mag/wiz. I am leveling my ranger and he is at 108 now. I would like to add the ranger to the team but there are a few issues. Firstly, kissassist and range autofire is weird with the positioning and there seems to be some conjecture over wether or not to run your ranger melee rather then range, so if your familiar with the ranger let me know. The bard I love but he is mostly CC and ADPS it seems that I have to choose dps or adps. The dps is kinda paltry but the adps is pretty good for my other toons. I just wanted to be able to have some variety in my team, So if any rangers out there want to fill me in on how you deal with running on in your box team let me know.

I run a war/clr/brd/bst/mage/rng… not too far off from what you have. Love my team. I have a KA ini but really use RGMercs more and have hotbuttons to toggle between melee and range depending on the terrain/zone I'm in or what events in raids (when boxing). For your setup if you wanted to get a ranger in I would consider swapping out one of the other dps classes (Zerk/Mage/Wiz). Personally in your shoes it would prob be zerk, just not as fond of them and I like the other synergy. Just my two/cents.

I prefer the bow dps when I can do it but the positioning can be a challenge. For awhile there RG was able to dance around at a bow range but it doesn't seem to do that now. It does face as needed though at a camp and I just have my tank range out a little to make sure he intercepts at the sweet spot so the ranger hits right.

for the RG settings I have melee off and StickHow=snaproll !front 95 moveback uw

Anyone have suggestions to get it to move and stay in bow range around the mob I would appreciate it but my work around has been working fine. Hope the feedback helps.

I run a war/clr/brd/bst/mage/rng… not too far off from what you have. Love my team. I have a KA ini but really use RGMercs more and have hotbuttons to toggle between melee and range depending on the terrain/zone I'm in or what events in raids (when boxing). For your setup if you wanted to get a ranger in I would consider swapping out one of the other dps classes (Zerk/Mage/Wiz). Personally in your shoes it would prob be zerk, just not as fond of them and I like the other synergy. Just my two/cents.

I prefer the bow dps when I can do it but the positioning can be a challenge. For awhile there RG was able to dance around at a bow range but it doesn't seem to do that now. It does face as needed though at a camp and I just have my tank range out a little to make sure he intercepts at the sweet spot so the ranger hits right.

for the RG settings I have melee off and StickHow=snaproll !front 95 moveback uw

Anyone have suggestions to get it to move and stay in bow range around the mob I would appreciate it but my work around has been working fine. Hope the feedback helps.
Unless you are fighting mobs that you can proc headshot, bow dps is awful vs Melee. Also the Ranger Synergy is driven off melee to fire.

Unless you are fighting mobs that you can proc headshot, bow dps is awful vs Melee. Also the Ranger Synergy is driven off melee to fire.
Not seeing the same in my numbers regarding the bow vs melee dmg. Maybe it is a gear thing /shrug I use a velium enhanced compound bow and the velium enhanced spear (2hp) with the poison procs, for the sympathetic. for the synergy I'm talking about the ranger's spells due to the caster elemental boost.

Not sure where your getting that from, but bow dps isn't bad on a ranger.

Atm I'm running an experimental version of Kiss12 with some special code that allows your ranger to stay 35 feet away from your target, this means you can shoot and use melee CA's makes for some decent Dps.

One thing I would say though, so far a ranger seems better suited to an all melee group, I'm running mine in a Pal, Rng, Mnk, Rog, Brd and Shm group, and the synergies from spells and AA's seem to suit melee better than caster overall

Not sure where your getting that from, but bow dps isn't bad on a ranger.

Atm I'm running an experimental version of Kiss12 with some special code that allows your ranger to stay 35 feet away from your target, this means you can shoot and use melee CA's makes for some decent Dps.

One thing I would say though, so far a ranger seems better suited to an all melee group, I'm running mine in a Pal, Rng, Mnk, Rog, Brd and Shm group, and the synergies from spells and AA's seem to suit melee better than caster overall
I agree, it's nice to be able to do the kicks and bow and that an all melee group would edge out the caster. I like the utility of my hybrid setup and prefer that so I don't mind the trade-off. Ranger is my main so won't get benched.

I play a raiding ranger. Outside of the times you have Pureshot disc running, melee dps > bow dps. This is especially true if you have some support classes or classes that provide melee adps boosts. Obviously, gear will have an impact (if you have a raiding bow and shitty Tier 1 weapons,.... yea). But with all the gear being equal, the melee > bow dps holds true.

Also, I would recommend using a 2 hander if you're meleeing. The 2 hander dps is very good AND you get the big sympathetic procs off your casting. Ranger DPS is still largely caster dps, so he'll benefit from the other casters in your group (although I'd honestly drop either the wiz or mage... I personally dropped a wiz and added a beastlord to my group).

I cannot as the ranger and the bard on on the same account, however if they were not I use the mage and pet for back up tanking incase my warrior takes a quad crit or something else silly plus I use CoH alot to move my team around, then the wiz I use to evac or taxi around which leaves the zerker to drop but he has by far the best dps and I cant see any day where a ranger would out dps my zerker. As for the bit of code StickHow=snaproll !front 95 moveback uw I have the same mostly but what is the "UW" for ?

Im running my grinder team with a war/clr/brd/rng/enc/ber and having a great time with it. Yeah, its a bit of a mashup but I feel there are some cool overlaps and assets each bring to the team. I rarely range with the ranger as I level, unless it is a pull. My rng is my puller and I really like the max range pulls they bring with a bow/arrow when room allows. As mentioned it can be a bit weird to range dps so I just choose to do without. Also as mentioned, rng dmg spell do some good dps. Mix that in with all the other stuff in their tool belt and they are well rounded.

If your bard is only CC and ADPS then you are running your bard poorly. At 115 and Max AA my bard does great dps AND adps. I run 5 toons and a merc SK/Mage/Shaman/Zerker and the final slot is bard or ranger. My group kills WAY faster with the bard in group instead of the ranger unless it is a headshot mob. I use a great bard kiss ini that twists 4 dots and a few ADPS songs that brings killer DPS.

If your bard is only CC and ADPS then you are running your bard poorly. At 115 and Max AA my bard does great dps AND adps. I run 5 toons and a merc SK/Mage/Shaman/Zerker and the final slot is bard or ranger. My group kills WAY faster with the bard in group instead of the ranger unless it is a headshot mob. I use a great bard kiss ini that twists 4 dots and a few ADPS songs that brings killer DPS.
That may be would you be willing to post up your ini ? I'd love to see what songs your running and what you dps section looks like, I am not max aa but im not to far off.

That may be would you be willing to post up your ini ? I'd love to see what songs your running and what you dps section looks like, I am not max aa but im not to far off.
Will do when I get back to my computer. I used to use @Sic’s ini, then someone modified that to use dots and I modified it even further for my own needs. I keep CC off using /mezon 0 until I’m in a specific situation where I need it.

Question - Bard vs Ranger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back