• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bard and monk sneak skill (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,463¢
I recently started a bard and a monk just for fun. I am confused about the sneak and intimidation skills, what are they, how do they work? If someone would be willing to explain these 2 skills, i'd really appericiate it.

Sneak will turn your character "invisible." Its not the same as Camouflage or Invis spells however. Sneak allows mobs to detect you if you fall into their detection radius(IE, their line of sight). Sneak can fail as well, the message it gives you should be a pretty good clue as to whether you failed or succeeded in sneaking. Once you succeed, you can walk around at a small percentage of your normal run speed. You will also notice that your name is in parenthesis just like it would be if you were invisible(and provided you had some means to see invis).

Intimidate is ghetto fear. When it succeeds the mob will run from you. Some mobs are immune to this effect. This skill can cause some problems if you aren't careful when using it. In the lower skill levels it will almost always fail.

hoosierbilly said:
I recently started a bard and a monk just for fun. I am confused about the sneak and intimidation skills, what are they, how do they work? If someone would be willing to explain these 2 skills, i'd really appericiate it.

Sneak: Sneak is the ability to move silently. It has two functions.
1. It allows you to move around while hiding without coming out of hiding. Allowing you to basically stay invisible.
2. Secondly, it allows you to move around silently, most of the time you can around mobs who aggro due to sound. Remember though, line of sight will still cause you agro.

Intimidate: To strike fear into your opponent.
1. This skill isn't too useful, but at times can be helpful. This skill is basically a fear ability. It is not reliable, and can annoy your groups to all ends. Basically, its really not used. My rogue uses it sometimes when he is getting his ass beat but it rarely goes off. In my experience, it seems to go off more often when the mob is low life, but in all honesty, I rarely, if ever, use the skill anymore.

Anthrax

You do also know there is a plugin that helps you max these out /mq2autoskill takes the repetitive nature out of it.... I do notice its not in RG's compile so not sure where I got it ...

Only rogues get a message about sneak fail/succeed. Bards just get "you start sneaking" You need to con mobs to find out if you are actually sneaking or not. Also without docrack I think only rogues can move and sneak.

Sneak has nothing to do with sound nor going invisible. (Unless combo'ed with Hide.)

When you turn sneak on and are in front of a mob:
- You will move at walking speed.
- Your faction with said mob will remain whatever it was before you turned sneak on.

When you turn sneak on and are to the side or behind a mob:
- You will move at walking speed.
- Your faction with said mob will be set to indifferent regardless of whatever it was before you turned sneak on. (Some high level mobs remain scowling but will not attack.)

Note:
Throwing does not break sneak.
Casting a spell will break sneak.
Autoattack will break sneak.

Interesting bug:
Target a far-off mob, turn sneak on and use something like Phantom call. You will get the out of range message but will be able to run around with sneak on.

Why is this useful? In dungeons including Ashengate and Silyssar you can navigate the whole thing as long as you stay to the rear arc of mobs and move quickly.

Not sure if this was pointed out but one of most useful features of sneak is that it works on undead, non-undead, and most mobs that see invis. In the old days before MQ2 a rogues job often was to sneak into a dungeon and see what mobs were up.

Intimidate is a waste since it won't work on most mobs you would need to use it on anyway. I suppose it could be fun for training noobs but that's about it.

Bard and monk sneak skill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back