• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Aug 3rd 2022 - EQ Login issues? "character failed to load" (1 Viewer)

I've had this message for about 6 months when I try to log in multiple characters through autologin.

Only the first character loads. Rest of them get this "took too long to load" message.

It only happens on my relatively slow Ivy Bridge i7 laptop.

I have to go click the characters one by one then manually.

I've had that message many times when loading multiple accounts concurrently.
In context, this is something I've noticed this year, and not really recall it last year or certainly when I started with RedGuides in 2020.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Other times it can impact one or more characters.
Annoying that it stops the process and requires clicking on the "ok".
The work around being, to load in less characters concurrently.
i.e. instead of loading a group in one go, with all accounts ticked, load up 2, then another 2, then the final 2.

I recall looking at the source for mq2autologin several months back when this first annoyed me.
In the "OnPulse" code, there is already a handler for a "ConfirmationDialogBox" when the game state is at the character select, in which looks at "cd_textoutput", about accepting some rules, to auto respond yes.

The following time it happened during login, I think I queried it with Lua and the statement about "seconds to load characters" etc. was there.

I had in mind the idea of proposing amendments, but, as the forums where quiet of this error, figured it was something a small minority was experiencing.
Such that a duplicate of the if statement, could be done if the text contained "seconds to load characters" to auto click the "ok" button.

Regards and Best Wishes

Throwing extra thoughts of the scenario out there.

I don't think it's a server load thing with regards DBG and their setup.

I do think it's a home computer spec / resource thing. Especially as mine is a laptop of a number of years age and has traditional 2.5" HDD not SSD etc in it.
Sure it can handle the game once loaded, just takes time to load and perhaps that demand is too much for timely action when many are concurrent.

Further to that, this may have been more of a symptom post the 64 bit client change, as that's something new this year. As I mentioned before, don't recall this happening before this year.

In all cases where I've been trying to login a team and found one or more at "seconds to load character" - "ok" prompt, simply clicking ok has allowed it continue fine.

So its broadly an inconvenience not being able to load a team in one go, and delays getting on with gaming having to load a team gradually.

Regards and Best Wishes

Throwing extra thoughts of the scenario out there.

I don't think it's a server load thing with regards DBG and their setup.

I do think it's a home computer spec / resource thing. Especially as mine is a laptop of a number of years age and has traditional 2.5" HDD not SSD etc in it.
Sure it can handle the game once loaded, just takes time to load and perhaps that demand is too much for timely action when many are concurrent.

Further to that, this may have been more of a symptom post the 64 bit client change, as that's something new this year. As I mentioned before, don't recall this happening before this year.

In all cases where I've been trying to login a team and found one or more at "seconds to load character" - "ok" prompt, simply clicking ok has allowed it continue fine.

So its broadly an inconvenience not being able to load a team in one go, and delays getting on with gaming having to load a team gradually.

Regards and Best Wishes

Rebooting immediately solved the problem for me. That suggests it was some computer resource issue on my side, rather than a server issue. At the time, I was only trying to load one character and still had the problem. I had been having sound issues earlier on in the day, so I suspect a hung process was chewing up all the resources.

Problem - Aug 3rd 2022 - EQ Login issues? "character failed to load"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back