• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Anyone done Trial of the Eternal Cyclone? (1 Viewer)

sirkenshin

RedCents
494¢
I finally got my war/clr/enc/wiz/wiz/mag to start Burning Lands content and was barely able to complete Trial of the Wending Ways. I read for Trial of the Eternal Cyclone I have to split up my group (range dps boss rest on adds). I currently use IHCMerc for my war/clr/enc/wiz/wiz and kissassist for my mag and have no idea how I'm going to use macros to get both groups to dps properly for this trial. Has anyone else done it and what did you have to do for split dps to work?

Thank you for your ideas!

Pets can make that fight easier, since pet can help kill the ground trash and dps the boss it's nice to have. Now for the boss he can only be damaged once both adds are dead, and adds respawn every 50ish seconds, and boss gets stronger the longer the battle takes. So you need to kill the first 2 sets of adds asap, then start damaging the boss once the adds are down. Boss has alot of hp but I've beat it with a shammy and sk on the boss, and a warrior berserker cleric and necro on the trash mobs. I know a necro on trash, well the named needs burst dps which necros can't do easily. Shammy slows, quick dots and roar sk taps and dots while meleeing. The zerker will make short work of the adds but doesn't have enough time to run up the ramp to help dps. But like I said pets help alot, necro, shammy, sk pets and shammy swarm pets and sk swarm pets deal a bit of damage. I would just summon pets and put the mage on the boss and have the mage assist in killing adds with the pet and then both pets on the boss, maybe add a wizard up top to add a bit but remember most times you have 30 to 40s to deal as much damage as you can. Quick spells and twin cast. Also you can get Los from the top to nuke mobs on the ground but I find that to not help much.

@saar Thanks I'll be sure utilize my pets to help out a bit and try different los positions to see if that works. What I'm curious about is if my range dps will damage the boss when my warrior is taking care of adds. Maybe I need to change who my characters assist for this battle to work.

I did this with WAR/CLR/BRD/MAG/SHM/BER. It took forever, it seemed like, and I vowed never to redo it again (at least not as a 6 box, I might help others get it for achievements). I used KissAssist on all 6 toons.

To start, I put mage and shaman on the boss. I set the mage as role=PetTank and shaman assisted the mage. Then I had the other 4 down below setup near the edge of the area such that they were out of the cyclone. The warrior was role=Tank and cleric, bard, zerk assisted the warrior. You can actually get into the trial area without starting it. This is useful because the adds start spawning as soon as you say "prepared" to the trigger NPC. Take your "up" toons, click mounts and run up the ramp to the boss. Take your "down" toons, save for 1 who needs to stay outside so that he can start the trial, and get them to a nice camp spot where you'll pull the adds to. Now start the trial and pull the first set of adds to the "down" group.

The adds mechanics works such that if 2 adds get close, they combine to a more powerful add. The key is for the DOWN group to kill fast enough that they don't get to combine. They spawn one at a time except for the initial spawn where you get 2. This pair will likely combine no matter how much dps you have on them. Don't worry, it's managable. Get the first combine add down ASAP before the next single add spawns and you're in business. Let KA run your UP group. I let the macro run full time, but I probably should have paused macro on the mage during the boss invulnerable parts as he ran OOM towards the end of the fight.

Drive a puller in your DOWN group. Run around the perimeter of the trial area and keep an eye on your map for when the next add spawns. I don't think they always spawned from the exact same location so you might get one close by and another far across the area. Pull them back to your DOWN group and whack away. If you kill the adds fast enough, the UP group has more time-on-boss to win the trial. Once the boss dies, the chest spawns, but the adds continue until you open the chest. When the boss was at 10% and my mage was OOM, I actually ran my bard up top to melee the boss and didn't notice him taking any damage, so :mystery:

The fight took me 30 minutes and dropped tier 1 loot, total waste of time and effort considering risk vs reward of other trials and T1 missions. My group was all tier 2/3 so nothing was even useful to me, except it does have a rare chance to drop diminished mubhis. So consider this a one-and-done event to unlock the static PoSmoke zone and nothing more. Thank you, Deybroke, for the very-unlikely-to-be-repeated content that you wasted time developing.

@SA_krycek thanks for sharing how you ran the macros and managed your group to make this work. It does sound very tedious for a boxer and something that should only be done once. I'll probably have to gear/aa my fresh group a bit more to succeed this challenging battle.

Ok this mission is actually really easy if you know a couple tricks and make a few adjustments to the mac ini's.

I dont know how you normally play and my group is a little different but it should work pretty much the same.
For your group lets use the 2 wizzards and the ench to kill the boss. The War,Clr,Mag should be able to handle the rest.
On the 2 wizzards and the ench in their ini set
AssistRange=200
AutoAssistAt=100
UseSmartAssist=0 ( mobs does NOT need to be in melee range of the tank to start attacking )

For the 3 that will be down below set
UseSmartAssist=1 ( mobs need's to be in melee range of the tank to start attacking )

Drive the tank and use manual targeting using your xtarget window and mq2map. Start and fail the event ( kill the adds but dont attack the boss, it will time out ) you can now get past the barrier and pre-setup ( worry about achievements later, lets just get the first win ) Run the 2wiz and ench up the ramp in the middle and stay on the ramp DONT go on the platform, your gonna range dps the boss ( it does not summon ). For the 3 at the bottom MOUNT UP! Mounts negate the tornado effect and lets you chase mobs down as they spawn, dont pull or wait on them to path just run them down and engage asap, they spawn on a timed interval so the faster its gone the more dps time on the boss. Start the mac's with everyone assisting the tank, The boss is immune when adds are up! Start the event and kill the first 2 mobs, the 3 up top Wont have LOS, they will target the tanks mob but they wont cast anything ( you want them not casting when adds are up or they are wasting mana ), when the adds are down use Xtarget on the tank and target the boss, the boss is too far away from the tank for the ones below to try and run after it to enagage and the 3 up top now have LOS, are allowed to assist at 100% and dont care how close the mob is to the tank to start attacking! Use mq2map with spawns showing to target the adds asap to stop the topside dps and chase em down fast, fighting on mounts is a bit strange but it works great! The ihc mercs should all follow the tanks target automatically, I'm not sure how kiss will react to targeting the boss up top when its bellow assistat% so you may need to make a /backoff key for the mage.

@ihc385 Interesting strategy thank you for providing it. I will make those assist changes and see how everything goes. I will also need to figure out how to get some fast mounts. I never thought I'd see my warrior on one lol.

This trial is one of the three I always do. It’s easy, although it can be a little time consuming. @ihc385 detailed a bunch of the strategies that make it pretty trivial.

Mounts are key. I run the puller so I can tag adds and crush them immediately. I keep a ranger on the named with autofire and stick my enchanter up there to nuke. My add group is SK, Cleric, Zerker, Wiz. They make quick work with adds, which means more time for the ranger and enchanter on the named.

Hmm spent about 2 hours with no luck at all. Some of the things that went wrong was the Warrior getting off of mount and can get random spikes of damage from adds that will kill him. My enc/wiz/wiz are up top on the ramp next to platform but sometimes they get hit too for damage and die. My magician does not seem to do enough damage to even get rid of the adds and the combined one just makes it even worse. I might have to watch a few videos and see how it's done. I'm also not sure if I should be almost max AA and wielding GMM non vis and TBL tier 1 gear on all my characters before doing this. I barely did Wending Ways trial and thought I'd be able to do this one next. Boy was I wrong.

I'm also not sure if I should be almost max AA and wielding GMM non vis and TBL tier 1 gear on all my characters before doing this. I barely did Wending Ways trial and thought I'd be able to do this one next. Boy was I wrong.
My opinion is that the last 3 smoke trials should be left for nearer the end of the expansion. They're T1 loot with T2+ difficulty. Hit up Trial of Three so you can pass through to Empyr and leave the rest. Maybe do Wending Ways for loot as well. Do these, Brass Palace and GMM HA's to gear up, then proceed with progression in TBL once you're full GMM non-vis. It makes a massive difference if your coming to TBL with ROS/conflagrant gear. My Tank was full GMM non-vis and T3 TBL vis with really good augs before I did the last 3 smoke trials.

@SA_krycek Thanks I'll try out the strategies listed here after I get gear/augs/aa with everyone. I'd do Brass Palace but got stuck trying to do Prisoner's Dilemma (everything hits so hard in Empyr and my warrior died 3 times trying to get one messenger). Hopefully a few slight improvements will make some more progression possible.

Hmm spent about 2 hours with no luck at all. Some of the things that went wrong was the Warrior getting off of mount and can get random spikes of damage from adds that will kill him. My enc/wiz/wiz are up top on the ramp next to platform but sometimes they get hit too for damage and die. My magician does not seem to do enough damage to even get rid of the adds and the combined one just makes it even worse. I might have to watch a few videos and see how it's done. I'm also not sure if I should be almost max AA and wielding GMM non vis and TBL tier 1 gear on all my characters before doing this. I barely did Wending Ways trial and thought I'd be able to do this one next. Boy was I wrong.
Sorry to hear it didnt go so well :( I didnt take gear/aa's into account, I'll admit my guys are pretty much max'd as max can get every step of the way ( group gear, no raiding ). Sounds like you got a plan though, gear/aa up.
Those messengers in Empyr are kinda freaks....they put a hurting on my tank too, not everything in that zone is that bad.

Those messengers are serious undercons. They hit harder than named mobs. While doing progression at this step take your time e.g burn one, wait for discs to come back up, repeat.

Don't know if you tried general trash mobs they hit for a lot less.

Having done this task now and also killed a few named mobs, I’m not sure I agree with the idea that they hit harder than named. That implies the messengers are harder than named, which they are not because they don’t have special abilities or AEs to contend with.

the messengers indeed seem to do at least more melee damage than the regular trash mobs in the zone - it is almost as if when they made the melee damage nerfs, these mobs were skipped accidentally

Having done this task now and also killed a few named mobs, I’m not sure I agree with the idea that they hit harder than named. That implies the messengers are harder than named, which they are not because they don’t have special abilities or AEs to contend with.
If you include the special abilities then yes named is tougher, hit harder = melee output if that clears things up a bit.

Pretty much been said but can just put one or two on the boss and have the rest on the ground. I just use my mage to solo the boss up top while my group kills the spawns on the ground. Takes a little while but it’s pretty easy.

Question - Anyone done Trial of the Eternal Cyclone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back