• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Adding Lockpicker to existing group (1 Viewer)

gothicangel8

RedCents
112¢
Hello all. Let me start of by saying that I love this community and you all are wonderful! I am having a blast playing this old ass game and it's all because of you.

I currently run a full group (all gold) on FV. They are level 66-67 and consist of: SK, CLR, ENC, DRU, MAG, WIZ. I have been having a blast, going to old zones in kunark and velious, working on coldain prayer shawls and epics. Last night I went to Chardok, killed the prince for the enchanter, and then found out that you can't cheese the door to the overking anymore. I sat there for probably 20 minutes scouring the internet for a way to get around the door, but was unsuccessful. Naturally my first thought was I need an alt with lockpicking to log in for situations like this, but I don't know if I want to take the time to PL one to the required level, so I thought maybe I will use one of my heroic characters for it (I have one available on each account). But then I thought it would be a waste to use a heroic token on a character I would never use, so maybe I should try to replace one of my current characters with it. It would be very convenient to just have lockpick anytime/anywhere, and it would be a nice boost for the rest of the group to have a higher level character with them.

Here are my thoughts on replacing each one outside of the SK or CLR:

Enchanter - this class was my original class back when I first started the game, and I am rather attached to it.
Druid - dps and back up heals, seems like the most logical to replace, but I worry that my cleric won't be able to keep up with solo heals as I progress closer to current content
Mage - giving up coth is not something I am willing to do at this time
Wizard - always out of mana, but also one of my best dps classes, so replacing wizard with a melee dps seems like it would be a wash

So who would you all replace? And would you replace with bard or rogue? Or do you have a better idea that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

With SK tanking you shouldn't have much issues with heals once you get into current content with a cleric healer, most crews are running with SHM as solo healer for melee groups and I assume (ass out of u and me I know lol) caster groups go with the cleric. With your current set up as a caster group I would probably drop the DRU for a BRD, BRDs play very well with both caster and melee classes so gives you the lockpicking ability you are needing plug boosting the rest of your crew and hopefully solving your WIZ mana problem.

ROG is great and I believe the best lockpicker in the game but synergy wise does not mesh as well with your current crew.

All you loose with dropping the DRU is the additional heals, but once you get SK 2.0 and improve lifetap skills/spells you won't be using much of the clerics mana as is.

Sounds like you have a pretty decent crew going there and hope you get your epics done heard FV is a PITA for some of those mobs lol.

On the same account I have my enchanter I grow up a bard. I keep them both at about the same level.
In situations where heavy cc is needed, the enchanter is the king. In any other situations, my feeling is, the bard gives much more adps and dps to the group.
The bard will get you thorught the doors as well.

A cleric as wall as a shaman can singleheal thorught all recent content. This I can state based on my own expericence. I have no druid at the same level, so I cannot state for thet class.
Wizzards fell behind some time ago. recently I swapped 1 of my mages for a necro. In current content, even when fights are fast, the necro ouddamages a mage. On longer fignts the difference even more evident.

If it was my group, I would ditch the wizzard for a necro, and grow up a bard on the enchanters account swapping them depending on the actual needs of the group.

How did you get the heroic character on each account, in some cases such as a paid for heroic flag or certain free heroic promo's you can use the heroic button and afterwards you can delete that character and the heroic flag is returned to be used again. Not all of the free heroic promos do this though as far as I understand.

If you are thinking of rerolling though, as above I would drop the druid.

If you don't want to use the heroic flag, with a ~70 SK you will be able to PL in the hatchery to 45 probably in an hour or two. There is a macro to automate the process.

I for one support keeping the Druid. Your group is caster heavy and druids bring adps to caster groups and can serve as solo healer particularly with slows (enc , bard). I would likely lose the cleric in this setup.

I know I am different then most on this, but the utility of druids have served me well.
As for lock pick class I would go bard

I’m with arb22, the adps increase and utility of a druid is nice. But it also depends on what you want to do, the ability for a druid to adapt I think is often lost when you go for pure DPS. Having a backup healer isn’t really necessary in the group game, and if you’re geared for your era a druid can heal in groups, but as you want to do more raid style stuff you might find two healers handy.

You can pick up a bard or rogue as a replacement to a class get lock picks…but lock picking doesn’t stay useful for very long. I can’t think of many places it’s actually useful that either don’t have another work around or that you can’t get through some other way (one trick is eye of zomm and open from the other side, another is to send a pet and pull a mob through). You can always shroud into a rogue if you need one as well.

All of that said, if you want to play a rogue or a bard I like both of them. I just wouldn’t do it for the sake of lock picking.

Bard's are pretty much a welcome addition to any group, so it's hard to go wrong with that, but I'm pretty much entirely on board with Knightly. There just isn't a lot of long term use for lockpick anymore. Being so situational, I would just have a situational solution for it, not permanent (unless of course that makes the game more fun for you).

There is a 'lockpicking' clicky in the CotF expansion, but it's functionally useless in the context you want it. It can also sense and disarm traps. - Archaeologist's Automated Antiquity Analyzer - You must be able to target the item (as in, literally see it on your target window) for it to work, which means doors aren't able to be picked by it. Locked chests can be and off the top of my head I can only remember it actually being useful to me once when I went back and soloed an old raid with a chest at the end that must be picked. (Tick Tock)

To elaborate on Knightly's point about shrouding, if you aren't aware, the Spirit Shrouds in PoK can transform you into a rogue goblin that can be used to pick locks and hide+sneak around everywhere. They are on find in PoK. Any of these three NPC's work.

Since you have a caster grp - I'd stick with that theme and just blow one of the Heroic toons on a rogue for the situational stuff.
Having a rogue with SOS is always great when exploring new zones, new expansions etc.
If you have 3 rogues in the same fellowship..its awesome sauce.

Question - Adding Lockpicker to existing group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back