• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

2 Boxing eq PLEASE HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Turbo4

RedCents
Ok so my problem is that im trying to dual box, and with the specs that I have I would think i would be able to dual box if not 3 box. I can load up two toons no problem but when i try and switch between the 2 different screens it takes a long time, i counted and it took around 40 seconds just to switch to the second toon. I have tried winEQ2 and it is still the same, I have defragged, scanned computer, ran disk cleanup all that stuff. someone please help

My Comps Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz
1.5 GB of Ram
ATI Radeon X1300 Series

someone please help me
thanks

First i would try more ram.

Second copy all of EQ into another folder for the second toon.

Also run the game in windowed mode, although i asume you are doing that.

Third pick one toon to be silent, you have to create a txt file named nosound (i think) and put it in the main eq folder on one toon.

I forget exactly the name of the file, maybe someone else will remind both of us.

The idea is to seperate the two toons so they are not using the same files. It helped me some but i don't really have enough ram to run both so i quit trying.

Can you give me an example of something i would want to turn off thats running in the background? and how would i know if my hard drive is slow? thanks for all the input you guys are giving me

Once you do the cntrl-alt-dlt, click on the performance tab. If the CPU useage seems high for what you are doing, click on processes. Then click on CPU. You may have to do that twice to get the list arranged in CPU useage in decending order. See what process is using the most CPU resources. The number shown will be the percentage of CPU useage by that process. In other words, if in Performance, you are using 70% of your CPU, and in Processes, you see that MYVIRUSHASGOTYOU.exe (that is just an example) is using 99%, or some other high number, then you may have a problem. Or, some other process may be robbing your cpu. Whatever it is, be sure to google the name before you do anything like shutting something down. Alot of what you see is very necessary for your computer to run.

Well, at 14%, I really wouldn't think your processes would be slowing you down. When you click on Processes and arrange the cpu list in descending order, what shows up as the highest user? Also, is that 14% useage when you are logged in to Everquest? Try logging in on 2 instances and then do Cntrl-Alt-Del and see what your specs are.

It is beginning to seem to be as Darkeros said...possibly a slow hard drive.

I had the same problem last year and it was my backup drive program running in the background. Shut that down and bam no more nasty lag.

Another handy trick to try is at update screen hit crtl+alt+del, right click launch pad. click "set affinity" click off possessor 1 then do same on other but click other off. this will allow each instance of eq to run on its own prossessor.

Do you have anti virus softwear? If you do and its running while you are trying to play eq that will slow the CRAP out of your game or anything else your doing. It will not show on your processer usage. Be sure you do not have your antivirus running.

I didnt see anything about it... (Hopefully im not just blind) but how much hardrive space/ swap space do ya have? I saw u ran disk clean up... did you do that because you are low on drive space? Edit: (okay i looked again. turbo4 said something about slow drive.)

K figured it out my friend was able to help me, lol even though ive asked him multiple times over the past year, it was as simple as ending a bunch of un needed processes, now it works like magic. thanks all for the help

When I 2-box on the same computer, I have to run both toons with pre-Luclin models on.... or rather with the switch for Post-Luclin Models OFF. That's a manual edit to the EQ ini file.

And actually, I find that it runs a little faster with only a single EQ set of files. The disk drive is already there for reading... but that's not a big issue.

I 2 box all the time, sometimes 3 box, on one comp. I have a 5 year old Athlon 2.2Ghz, recently upgraded to 2 gig of ram. I have NVidia 7600 GS, had been using 6800 GT. I used to do it with 1 Gig, but more patches and upgrades made more ram necessary. I have found a performance boost in running Diskeeper full-time defrag. I use a program called Startup Inspector to see an explanation for all running processes. Now that I know those I can just trim them in Task Manager. Turn on Peak Mem usage, Page Faults, VM size views in Task Manager.When multi-boxing, I trim what I do not need. I run Kaspersky anti-virus, Spyware Guard, and Spyware Blaster, with np. Other spyware/anti virus programs were slowers. Before I run the 3rd account, I use Rambooster to free up an extra 200-300 meg or ram. I just use one install of EQ. I use WinEq2.0, all 3 in fullscreen emulated. I set the background 2 accts to use less resources in WinEq. I can switch between them in a second. I can run a browser too if needed, but don't have it running all the time. If laggy, I drop graphic demands of EQ, or use clipping plane. Mostly I have full graphics and full clip plane in most zones. I don't know why it works so well for me, this is all the stuff I do.

Hope this helps

Uhm 1.5 gig of ram? How did you manage that? Sounds like another part of the problem if you just threw a 1 gig stick in with a 512. The slower speed takes precedence so could be messing with a faster stick if that is what happened.

2 Boxing eq PLEASE HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back