• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Super Noob here (1 Viewer)

Pr0vince

RedCents
30¢
Hello,

I currently manually six box with an additional monitor for my laptop in windowed mode and sometimes things can be a little too overwhelming trying to control everyone - especially when unexpected adds join the mix.

I've been reading up on MQ2 and Kiss Assist and am still very confused about the difference between the two and exactly what I should invest my time and money into. I previously tried the trial version of isboxer and almost immediately gave up because the tutorials were semi-outdated and overall very general and not new-user friendly. It also seemed a bit expensive for something that required so much time to learn right off of the bat.

All I'm really looking for is a way to minimize the amount of me clicking and focusing on other toons outside of my tank. The auto cleric thing sounds amazing. If I could somehow have my cleric run buffs and heals and have my dps run their buffs and burns by themselves, that would be a huge help. I don't really want any other automated anything. No pulling. No movement. I would like to control all of those things (although an easier way to auto follow/sit/stand would be nice). Can anyone help with some very noob recommendations on an initial setup/subscription? I'm running an SK,cleric, enchanter,wiz, bard, and mage if that helps. They are all currently in their 50's.

Pretty simple, MQ2 is the base that gives you access to all the coolness needed to box, Kiss is a macro that runs in MQ2 that gives your other toons the ability to do some of the stuff you are alt tab and clicking, so it would reduce your frustration level!

What server are you on? KissAssist does not work on phini.

like raz said, kissassist runs off of mq2. but redguides makes KissAssist so easy you dont even know you're using mq2. Kissassist uses the basics of mq2(non-hacking/exploiting features) to automate a lot of functions on a character. kissassist offers a heals, dps, burn pet, auto-melee features all settings controlled through 1 .ini file per character. settings such as what spells to cast, when to cast, when to med and more.

seems like a lot to setup but the initial time setting up your toon's ini files(there are good guides in lvl 2 subforums) is well worth it. you can run your group at a camp with so much ease, just load your toons in and start kissassist. you'll quickly be familair with the .ini settings and making changes become very easy.

free wineq2 is what i use instead of isboxer because i also only multi-box 1 group atm. isboxer is more for the armies imo(10+ clients). free wineq2 makes it easy to alt-tab between your client windows. instead of having to alt-tab through 6 clients, free wineq2 sets global window activation hotkeys. so i use alt+f1 through alt+f6 to select which client i need to be use, much easier then spamming alt-tab. wineq2 is free to use for up to 8? clients i think so that is nice

im only on my second month of level 2 and using kissassist and its been well worth it. kissassist turns your toon into a merc but better because you can control what it does

MQ2 is the shell that allows all functions into a form of automation. The instructions of the task to do in MQ2 is referred to as a Macro. Kissassist is a specific Macro that you configure for each character with teh details of what you want them to do and when while cmaping. I am personally an old school boxer that woudl manually (as you are currently) run up to 9 accounts in Everquest. WinEQ2 or ISboxer are absolute musts to have any sense of speed doing that. Get WinEQ2 up adn running for your characters. Get Level 2 access and KISS. Start by getting your cleric set up to do heals while you run the others and ease into setting up the casters one at a time as you get familiar with it. That's my recommendation.

Rustycat

(everyone has thier own view, here's mine)

Macroquest/MQ/MQ2 = the third party program that interacts directly with the EQ client to allow controls and information above and beyond what the EQ client can offer. The range of things it can do is utterly amazing, everything from an expanded item view, ability to see all sorts of things on the ingame map, to taking commands. MQ2 has a script language that can be used to write scripts/macros that is enormously flexible...just takes imagination to figure out how to go about it. Pretty much if you can do it ingame, there is a way to script it using MQ2, if you want to. The level of automation is entirely up to you.

Like many other programs, MQ2 comes with Plugins to expand on it's capabilities. Sometimes these are by the developers, sometimes from users. You can use or not use them, as you see fit.

KissAssist/KA = one of the Bot Macros available that works under the MQ2 scripting. Unlike the others, KA has active updating with helpful interaction with other folks who use it and the folks who keep it running and up to date. At this site, you can ask the what you would think is the dumbest of the dumb questions you like... as long as it seems like you are giving some effort ( IE sincerly looking for help) you seem to generally get a response. Much like calling the help line or tech support though, the better you can explain your problem and interact, the more help you will get!

DISCLAIMER: this is not to say that other Bot Macros are not actively updated, just that KA seems much more so. There are of course different ones out there, that have different levels of automation. And you are of course free to write your own, or pay someone else to write one for you. It entirely depends on what exactly you want to get out of MQ. I know some folks who are perfectly happy with just the MQ2Melee plugin helping them with automating some of the melee stuff. Others do full blown armies. And different levels inbetween!

Hello,

I currently manually six box with an additional monitor for my laptop in windowed mode and sometimes things can be a little too overwhelming trying to control everyone - especially when unexpected adds join the mix.

I've been reading up on MQ2 and Kiss Assist and am still very confused about the difference between the two and exactly what I should invest my time and money into. I previously tried the trial version of isboxer and almost immediately gave up because the tutorials were semi-outdated and overall very general and not new-user friendly. It also seemed a bit expensive for something that required so much time to learn right off of the bat.

All I'm really looking for is a way to minimize the amount of me clicking and focusing on other toons outside of my tank. The auto cleric thing sounds amazing. If I could somehow have my cleric run buffs and heals and have my dps run their buffs and burns by themselves, that would be a huge help. I don't really want any other automated anything. No pulling. No movement. I would like to control all of those things (although an easier way to auto follow/sit/stand would be nice). Can anyone help with some very noob recommendations on an initial setup/subscription? I'm running an SK,cleric, enchanter,wiz, bard, and mage if that helps. They are all currently in their 50's.

You need to give Isboxer another try. You need Isboxer to be an effective boxer. Without Isboxer you will not be a good boxer, that doesn't mean you will be a bad boxer, it just means you are severely handicapping yourself by not using Isboxer. Look at it like you're trying to drive a car with two feet without Isboxer. Isboxer lets you use just a single foot. I know it may be crass or something you don't want to hear but you just need it. The tutorials I didn't find to be out of date and once you do get it setup/learn it you're going to be in heaven. If you have any questions about Isboxer I would be more than willing to answer them and in detail to help you use this program.

Isboxer changed gaming forever for me and many others. I could deprive you of food and it would be more merciful than depriving you of Isboxer.

I have to agree with Lurk...ISBOXER is definitely worth it. Once you open it, it has a wizard for easy set-up. I use one comp with 2 screens. I keep my tank on my main (left) screen and the other toons on the right. I generally have my bots /kissassist and as Ronco said "Set it, and forget it!" I focus on playing my SK while the bots do the other jobs. I am a huge proponent of autocleric....I have pulled some really hairy situations and said to myself "Im fucked", and miraculously survived. There are also kiss ini's in level 2 that has some basic to advanced set ups that only require you to cut and paste (I have my shaman and cleric INI's in there although I switched to autocleric and they should be updated one day). And like stated earlier by Red Queen, people are always willing to help.

You need to give Isboxer another try. You need Isboxer to be an effective boxer. Without Isboxer you will not be a good boxer, that doesn't mean you will be a bad boxer, it just means you are severely handicapping yourself by not using Isboxer. Look at it like you're trying to drive a car with two feet without Isboxer. Isboxer lets you use just a single foot. I know it may be crass or something you don't want to hear but you just need it. The tutorials I didn't find to be out of date and once you do get it setup/learn it you're going to be in heaven. If you have any questions about Isboxer I would be more than willing to answer them and in detail to help you use this program.

Isboxer changed gaming forever for me and many others. I could deprive you of food and it would be more merciful than depriving you of Isboxer.

I orginally didn't use ISBoxer - But this statement has convinced me to try it.

You sir, need to be president. ♥

A properly configured box is one who follow you around and assist you using its full capabilities and if you have to mash any buttons or send it any commands you are doing it wrong, you don't have to send instructions to your mercenaries do you?

I play my sk, my other toons follow me around and help me out, that's what boxing is to me.
I never have to switch to their screens or send them any commands, they know their individual jobs and they do it well enough for me to just focus on my shadow knight.

A properly configured box is one who follow you around and assist you using its full capabilities and if you have to mash any buttons or send it any commands you are doing it wrong, you don't have to send instructions to your mercenaries do you?

I play my sk, my other toons follow me around and help me out, that's what boxing is to me.
I never have to switch to their screens or send them any commands, they know their individual jobs and they do it well enough for me to just focus on my shadow knight.

I do not complete agree. Although the commands I send to my bots are very limited - "follow me" or "camp here" depending if I'm hunting or pulling back to a camp. There will always be few commands to be sent to bots as conditions or play style change, but that should be an exception not the rule. Bots should automatically do there jobs without your input.

The most annoying thing my bots do is get stuck when following me. The idiots can't see the tree or wall and follow my path around it. My druid is real bad for getting distracted by trees.

Ya I'm reading everyone else's posts and now I feel like the super noob lol. I'm gonna read up and get EQBC working, my first step to not be a noob..(I'm still scared of isboxer atm but that's step 2)

I do not complete agree. Although the commands I send to my bots are very limited - "follow me" or "camp here" depending if I'm hunting or pulling back to a camp. There will always be few commands to be sent to bots as conditions or play style change, but that should be an exception not the rule. Bots should automatically do there jobs without your input.

The most annoying thing my bots do is get stuck when following me. The idiots can't see the tree or wall and follow my path around it. My druid is real bad for getting distracted by trees.

Tree huggin Druids.........

Quote Originally Posted by eqmule View Post

I WISH I could tell my Mercs what to do, maybe they'd actualy do something RIGHT for a change...

I would have to disagree too. I'd say you are right if you mean a properly configured bot but a box is something you want much more control over than a bot. Maybe it's splitting hairs but I find bots/boxes totally different. When I am in a mellow mood I turn on the bots and only play one character. When I need to do something difficult I turn off my bots completely and focus on boxing/total control of all the characters.

all depends on what you want to get out of the deal.

IE currently I have 2 groups sitting on separate named in the new expansion. The tank aggros and pulls, the group kills. I got audio warnings for named spawn (since I still have something funky going on with a few things I want to happen in a named fight, I want to watch them) and manually do the loot designation. Those 10 toons more or less run themselves, though I pull up the master looters screen periodically to check for rare drops (want to gear specific toons first) but mainly I have a third group doing tasks over in CotF to gear up that I am doing like EQmule. The puller I am running, everyone else knows their job.

While ISBoxer could potentially make swapping toons easier, the rest of it is lost on my play style. With my system being beefy enough to handle the toons I have up and switching between them.... don't overly see the need to increase my monthly EQ expense at this juncture....the wife is suspicious enough (o.0)

But thats me!

Some folks want to feel totally in control of all toons. Other basically want a group to play with them --shrugs-- do what works for you, tis what I say =)

I only differ a "box" and a "bot" by if I'm attending or not, since I am attending and actively playing my main, I don't consider my boxes "bots" although technically they are very much autonomous entities making decisions and so on based on what my main char is doing...
As for commands, yes I use eqbc to tell them to do some stuff like go invis or port us and so on so I guess they aren't fully automated in that regard, but for the most part they know what to do and when to do it, I interact with them about as much as I would while playing in any group, "port us to sky" camp out, succor us, etc... But that's it...
I guess my point is if Boxing is harder than grouping, you are doing it wrong.

The biggest problem most people have with IsBoxer is learning how to use the "Global Hot Keys". Watch a YouTube guide on how to create those. You will thank me later.

With ISBoxer I was able to play my main warrior and have ALL they keys on him that did different things for me. For example, Alt+v starts my clerics CH, Alt+c starts my second clerics CH 5 seconds after, Alt+x heals the tank in between with my shamans Superior Healing. ALL OF THIS BY ONLY STARING AT MY WARRIORS SCREEN.

Those are just a few heals commands I use. I have many more. You could set another Global hotkey for your Wiz and Mage... Let's say, Shift+1 and it will assist your tank and began casting your nukes.

Kissassist isn't required for 6man grouting.
But it does help. Even I use KA, but only for 8 toons out of 12. I do all my healing/group healing by Global Hotkeys provided by isBoxer.

When I wen to 12-18 boxing KissAssist saved my life. Amazing program you should definitely try out!

Since you seem to wanna keep it small.... Id recommended using IsBoxer Global Keys(watch videos and read articles, it can take a while. Once you get it down you will fall in love)

One last thing, you should at least get MQ2 for your melee toons. Will help you immensely. All you would have to do is focus on your SK, global Hotkeys and start hitting those keys to the situation you are in! Whether it's a heal, cc, evac!

Just thought id share my experience. I would never 6-18 box again without MQ2, KissAssist or ISBoxer. All work lovely together.

Cheers mate! Good luck. PM me if you have anymore questions.

-Lee

I use both in different situations. Sometimes the flexibility of isboxer in character control is really nice when running missions. However, even when Im using Isboxer I start the toons up with KISS to buff the group, because really who likes to buff...

I always have a group heal key and a couple of oh crap keys that broadcast through isboxer (evac, fire under the clerics rear end...).

I still haven't gotten good enough with CC though using isboxer. Thats a bit of a tough nut to crack.

I am pretty interested in KISS, question though;

How does it handle dots for a Necro, Druid, Bst?

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty interested in KISS, question though;

How does it handle dots for a Necro, Druid, Bst?

With the recent update to Kissassist Ver 10. You can use conditions to have better control over casting DOT's. Kiss has always worked with DOTs, but some people didn't like how it would recast them early some times. But that is not really an issue with the use of conditionals.

Separate. If you subscribe to Redguides, you'll have everything you need as an easy automated download. Plus you get updates when they improve KissAssist or when MacroQuest2 is updated (almost every patch day.) Redguides auto-updater will install MQ2, kissassist + a ton of other macros & useful programs for EQ.

Once you have it setup, you can download ini files for your characters from the KissAssist forum in Level 2. Honestly, the higher level forum access alone is worth the subscription.

You can use ISBoxer too. It adds some very useful tabbing and screen controls for multi-boxing. but doesn't automate playing. It is from a different developer.

OK-- great thread for us noobs tryin to get a handle on how to go about controlling our ever increasing armies.

I'm approaching my 2nd year anniversary playing EQ... The first year was all FTP with one toon... a RNG... I played a lot of the old content and packed 15years of game into that first year.

A lil after my 1st year anniv., I created a second toon: a Chanter.. OMG AWESOME!>> I played it thru her 50s & decided to take advantage of the free Heroic offer & thus she got boosted to 85. That is when I began Boxing!

2 boxing a Chan & Rang was easy enough, and I often grouped with a Mage & a Warrior with 2 mercs for healing... but for some reason, the players who own the Mage & War decided to go play some of their other toons over on FV & lucky(?) for me: they let me use their toons! so my army grows. I also since then, created & PL'd a few more toons as well! and the army grows.

So- now I am boxing RNG/CHAN/MAG/WAR in group w/ 2 mercs ...& over on my laptop, I have a DRU/CLR/BST/SHAM that I only use for buffs & ports (until I learn to play them or get them automated!?).

Learning what to do to escape the ALT TAB mayhem of running more than 2 toons has been an exercise in comprehension to say the least.

I recently got myself ISBoxer... wow what a mean learning curve just trying to figure out how to use it effectively (though I'm sure I'm barely 10%ing it!)>> changing my layout to optimize commands for multiple toons from one screen, aligning ingame commands & macros to specific hotbars so global commands will execute etc. oh--and VidFX for monitoring key elements of boxed toons from my main screen! whew.

Now-- I'm looking to further increase my efficiency and perhaps size of army... I have read a lot and this thread has been very helpful.

While I am waiting for the PayPall situation to resolve, so I can get lv2 and DL MQ2 & KA... Id like to ask a few Qs & it seems this thread is a good place:

I'll be using my ISBoxer to log in groups, and it seems that after a lil setup, I can robofy some of my boxed toons (perhaps whole group) from minimal roboting to full on roboting... as for MQ2 stuffs, It seems I need KA, EQBC, & MQ2NAV..yeah?
If I am correct, the KA & MQ2NAV will robofy the whole group including pathing, pulling and looting>> correct?
and I can use EQBC to better control my boxes from my ISBOXER setup, using a special chatbox and/or Hotkeys/Hotbar buttons to have better control over my boxes using /stick commands and such>> yeah? **will utilizing EQBC allow me to streamline the amount of keybinds, global commands and ingame macros to become more efficient? seems so, but I figure Id ask.

1 more Q: Does KA work on brand new lv2 toons fresh popped into GloomingDeep? or do I need to go PL them a lil first?

You all seem to have an excellent community here & I am glad to become part of it ;)

TY.

***oh-- side note for fellow NOOBS who may read this: changing my UI has been a blessing and made arranging all these new hotkeys and elements (using vidFX) onto my main ton's screen so much easier. I picked up the Simple Stice UI with a few options that I DL'd from EQinterface. It has been a huge help to me.

AGF - Welcome!

You can do all of those things with KA/MQ2.

For me, it was a good idea to go one step at a time, because there is so much stuff it can be overwhelming. I would work on getting your regular box setup with your main crew so you can understand how to best use them, and how the fundamentals work. I recently got back into eq and MQ2/KA and it was like starting from scratch!

I would do it in this order:

#1 get EQBC setup
Here is the link to a thread on this board with some cool hotkeys https://www.redguides.com/community/thr...7-EQBC-Hotkeys

I use a few like:

Move to me - /bca //moveto loc ${Me.Y} ${Me.X} ${Me.Z}

Follow
/bcga //camphere off
/pause 6
/bcga //mqp on
/bcga //dismount
/bcg //stick ID ${Me.ID} uw 5

Unfollow
/bcga //mqp off
/bcg //stick
/bcga //camphere on

Double invis
/bcg //tar ${Me.ID}
/bcga //alt act 1210
/bcga //alt act 1212

Get KA setup for each of the toons I wasn't actively playing. For me I use my necro as my main toon, so the rest of the group is using KA, but I manually pull with my necro and dps etc.

Here is the link to the KA 10 version https://www.redguides.com/forums/threads/55056-KissAssist-10-0-4-Released-06-29-2017 (worth reading through to see changes and questions people had)

Here is the link to the .ini section https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/29000-Compiled-INI-List

???

Profit!

The reason I would suggest you use your main toons with KA before trying lvl 2 noobs is so you can see how the actual .ini files work, because despite there being some files for newbies lvl 11 and 30 from Mroutlaw, there are a lot of gaps.

Feel free to PM me if you need help. I'm not an expect by any stretch, but I don't have any eq friends atm, so I'm happy to hang/talk/help =D

Question - Super Noob here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back