• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

SWapping a naughty character to another account (1 Viewer)

RipSki

RedCents
If One has been doing unsavory hacking on a char and wanted to move it to another account , How long should one wait to make sure the logs are clear?

Killing stuff thats not killable by one person, warping off map, tradeing nodrop stuff. all the stuff u find on this sight basically. Im also wondering if I put a nodrop item from another character on the character i want to transfer how long i should wait till they cant tell it was swapped. And when do warping loggs get erased if ever? I mean they cant keep them forever thats too much damn data for all the ppl on all the servers.

Last edited:
hmm, wud think its ok to do so, cant see them stoping you if everythings in order, its a case of asking and seeing, there not gunna keep a log of everyones warps etc so depends on if ur lucky or not :p

as for the share nodrop stuff, the only way they can tell if a say Toon A looted it but Toon B has it is if they keep ALL logs of ALL loot droped for EVERY persion in eq... now to me thats just insane, think of the amount of data after 1 hour lol?

imo i think ur safe to go ahead with it (unless ur a dumbass and leave somet nodrop in ur shared bank) :p

If they wanted to keep track of nodrop items, it would be easy enough to do by just having a bitmap of every nodrop item in the game and flipping the flag to true when you looted it. Would actually be easier to just flip the flag for any item in the game that you ever looted / were given (traded). There is a message that displays when you loot, and another when someone trades you something, easy enough to flip a flag on the server for your toon. How many unique items are there, it isnt actually that much storage if it is a "bit". Dont assume they need a log of when it was looted, just that you never actually looted it. Also, be careful handing a toon that isnt flagged for VT, some nodrop VT item. That would be so easy to catch.

Lucy has 42530 total unique items in game, so say 50k items. That would be like 3k a toon, 24k an account, and for most people, it would be sparcely populated, so with compression, i suspect it would only take up a few hundred bytes. Even uncompressed, that isnt so much in todays world of massive storage requirements. I don't suspect they do this, but dont hide behind the thought of massive storage of logs needed to track this stuff.

P.S. I suspect I am not alone, but I have detail logs of everything I have ever done going back all the way to the time that logs were enabled. Alot of information, but compressed, it doesnt take up that much space at all.

I've done some heinous things, transferred to other servers (paid not /movelog), had my players duplicated for beta, and gm's have restored items to a level 10 player who had time gear banked. No one has said anything so far.

macrominder said:
If they wanted to keep track of nodrop items, it would be easy enough to do by just having a bitmap of every nodrop item in the game and flipping the flag to true when you looted it. Would actually be easier to just flip the flag for any item in the game that you ever looted / were given (traded). There is a message that displays when you loot, and another when someone trades you something, easy enough to flip a flag on the server for your toon. How many unique items are there, it isnt actually that much storage if it is a "bit". Dont assume they need a log of when it was looted, just that you never actually looted it. Also, be careful handing a toon that isnt flagged for VT, some nodrop VT item. That would be so easy to catch.

That would create so much logging overhead that they would need terabytes apon terabytes to store.

Hehe. kewl. Iw as jsut curious, My buddy just transferred to another server amd the night before we did nodrop transfers on his toona nd did ikky trials warp style, so I think Im gtg. =) Thanks for the response fellas. /looks around in VB chat /crickets.... :cool:

Hairpin, Terabytes needed?
42530 unique items on Live on Lucy.
lets use 64000 for a nice computer round number

64000 bits / (8 bits / byte) = 8k bytes. With bitmap compression, less than 1k bytes, so lets assume each character on each account needs 1K to store what items you have looted. So lets do the math.

1 Account / 8K = Max 8 characters / account * 1K bytes / Character for tracking looted items
131 Accounts / Meg = 8k / Account * 131 Accounts
134144 Accounts / Gig = 131 Accounts / 1 Meg * 1024 Meg / Gig
137,363,456 Accounts / Tera = 134144 Accounts / Gig * 1024 Gig / Tera

Something tells me that Sony does not have 137 million account holders. So therefore I suspect that there is no where near 1 terabyte needed for this information.

Again, logs are not required just to know you looted an item, it could just be a flag. I dont suspect they do this, or even if they do, that they care much about it. They want your $$$ and unless you are causing them to loose $$$ from other people, they wont bother with you. They have too many other things to worry about, and too few people to handle it.

TBH i was banned for 2 weeks for ghost killing using meele skills and such, well, my rog had vt gear on her, had equipt 40% haste bp in range slot etc etc hell she even had my monks 1.0 epic in her bank and thurg bracer (summons throwers for monks) and well yeah lol i got my accounts back :p and she wasnt keyed for vt or anything lol

Plus, a terabyte of storage is available at Best Buy for about $350 these days... it's not like Sony doesn't have HUNDREDS of terabytes of storage at their disposal... lol

codecaster storage for business use is far more expensive than storage for normal PC usage ... they dont generally use ATA/SATA and the Technology uses is usually redundant to the extreme and very expensive.

kind of nitpicking here, but I find it hard to believe that best buy has terabytes of storage available for $350. I just looked at their web page and the biggest drive that hey had was a 400 gig for $300. 1024 gig / 1 tera = 2 400 gig + 2 120 gig drives (granted this is over, and there are other combinations, but I think this is gonna be the cheapest way to go) So totalled up, $600 + $200 (for the 2 120gig drives) = $800. Then you would still have to deal with the issue of running 4 hard drives, which is kind of a hassel.

That being said, yes I am sure that sony does have the ability, and probably actually has terabytes upon terabyes storage space.

SWapping a naughty character to another account

Users who are viewing this thread

Back