• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Spells, Animations, & Packets-- Oh my! (1 Viewer)

LemurGuy

RedCents
Heh, hello!

I'm hoping that one of you could shed some light on how Spell Animations are handled. In the past, I was able to (through a rather interesting, and impractical method) alter the spells_en.txt file avoiding the checksum, allowing me to change the animations used for spells.

Sure, laugh if you will.. Whats the point in doing that? None really, but I'm curious as to why I couldn't get it to work within a plugin I wrote.

To test, I simply wrote a plugin that would change a certain spell read from Memory similiar to this:

Rich (BB code):
	PSPELL pSpell = GetSpellByID(spellID);
	pSpell->SpellAnim = 101;

Why doesn't this work? At first, I wasn't sure that the memory was being directly altered, but I tested it by changing something else. This time, I tried this:

Rich (BB code):
	PSPELL pSpell = GetSpellByID(spellID);
	pSpell->DescriptionNumber = 2931;

Which would change the description (Cast time, and other things also worked) one would see, when right clicking the spell gem. Which, did infact work, to my suprise.

My conclusion was that it was infact altering the memory, but for some reason the SpellAnim part of the struct is no longer being used. I tried CastingAnim, and TargetAnim to test as well, not expecting it to work either-- they didn't. I couldn't think of anything else, except for the possibilty of Sony transmitting the animation # in the packets. But, I figured that would be rather impractical, and a waste of data space since it's already in memory.

Any ideas? Is the animations stored somewhere else? ....if anyone even knows =)

Thanks!

Spells, Animations, & Packets-- Oh my!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back