• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Playing EQ in Iraq (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,463¢
There is a very good chance that I will be going to Iraq as a civilian contractor. My question is what would I need to be able to play EQ in Iraq? What kind of interent connections are commonly available on the military bases? I will very likely be purchasing a laptop to take with with me, any suggestion on what kind? Will I need power adaptors? I am asking here only because I know some of ya'll have been or are current serving in Iraq.

Depends.

Back in 2004 we had a satalite NIPRNET connection which would have about 2 second latatcy, you will need power adaptors you can usually buy these in country, I highly recommend getting a larger 220-->110 converter then you need and then shove a surge protector on it, if you are really paranoid like I was use a UPS instead of a surge protector. I went through 3 UPS in the time of one year but I saved my laptop.

Always assume when you see a strange looking plug that it's 220, some laptops can handle duel voltage and you would only need a plugin adapter for them, however I'm paranoid about it, we run off of generators locally managed and maintained and calibrated. People are dumb, they make mistakes, and I don't like having to pay for those mistakes so I pay for protection from mistakes. Usually I come out pretty good because of this reasoning.

Camp Liberty North which is in Baghdad was the best outfitted for this, things may have changed.

Basic advise:

1.) Bring sunscreen
2.) Bring extra toiletries (Razors Deoderant etc.)
3.) Pack extra socks then you normally would (change them twice daily)
4.) Don't carry large ammounts of cash, you can use an ATM / Credit card at almost every commisary / PX and get cash back if you have to.
5.) Blow your computers fan out with canned air weekly (sand is fine and can get in all kinds of funky places)

There are call centers on all the bases these use a satalite link as well, be sure and tell your family members if you both start talking at the same time one continues while the other stops, get it set before you start your conversation which one that is. 2 second delay here as well, you both won't think you are interupting the other but you are it's awkward sometimes but can be gotten around. So you can call but typically if there is a line there is a time limit on all calls (15 minutes - 30 minutes).

Time there is 9 hours ahead of Central Standard Time, depending on daylights savings time, get used to waking up for an hour and going to the call center at 2am-3am to talk to family, it IS the best time to go because no one is there, but the call center is open and it's not some odd hour of the day back home.

CALL YOUR FAMILY. I cannot believe how many soldiers I had to force to call mom and say they were alright, it's morale booster and keeps everyone back home intouch and supportive.

See if you can get your address ahead of time, most of the time you can, but only if they know where you are going. Amazon delivers to APO addresses but you have to work at it, they have a FAQ on getting the address to work though, I had trouble at getting their form to accept it for a bit but now I can't remember the details.

Find out if you need stamps, most likely you won't, find a military mail box around you and drop off your letter either that or get in good with a mail handler for a battalion there. I know soldiers don't I can't remember about civilian contractors.

Don't get shot.

That's all the advise I can pump out for now.

Playing EQ in Iraq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back