• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Openvanilla Won’t Fully Compile (1 Viewer)

Gekko

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
4,574¢
Hi all,

Been away from EQ1 for a good 18 years. I was thinking of coming back and perhaps trying my hand at boxing. Back in the day I fooled around with the original MQ to try to have a cleric heal my enchanter main. Back then you had to get the source from a sub channel of an irc channel And then compile it, so I am somewhat familiar with compiling C++.

Before subscribing, I wanted to check out openvanilla and see if I could get the hang of multi boxing more than 2 accounts. I went to gitlab; grabbed the source; and updated my outdated Visual Studio 2005 to Visual Studio Community 2019. I originally tried VS Community 2022 but there was a conflict with the code. When trying to compile the code with VS 2019 Community, the process begins and appears to be working as intended, but after a while, the process ends and I have a page full of compilation errors. Some say that the code is trying to call something that doesn’t exist. Some mention an external error.

I have tried obtaining the source using git clone —recurse-submodules -j8 command from the project page and from a copy of the project from my account page but both give me errors. I have also tried to use the downloaded zip file from the project page but that also gives compilation errors.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help. This looks like worthwhile project to support but I sort of wanted to try before I buy to make sure I could use it properly.

Thanks again.

Solution
That's especially true when compiling yourself -- since your code won't be signed and validated and your antivirus is just trying to protect you. But yes, it's open source.

If you're running EQ as admin (for example, with IsBoxer) you would also have to run MQ as admin.
Hi

Best bet is to complete do a Hard format of the computer ( delete and create new drive) Then reinstall windows FRESH install.

This will correct your problems, trying to figure out using Code or PC skills will take forever and probably wont correct the problem fully.

Hi

Best bet is to complete do a Hard format of the computer ( delete and create new drive) Then reinstall windows FRESH install.

This will correct your problems, trying to figure out using Code or PC skills will take forever and probably wont correct the problem fully.
This is terrible advice.

Please don't just Willy nilly reformat your computer which addresses zero.

Hi all,

Been away from EQ1 for a good 18 years. I was thinking of coming back and perhaps trying my hand at boxing. Back in the day I fooled around with the original MQ to try to have a cleric heal my enchanter main. Back then you had to get the source from a sub channel of an irc channel And then compile it, so I am somewhat familiar with compiling C++.

Before subscribing, I wanted to check out openvanilla and see if I could get the hang of multi boxing more than 2 accounts. I went to gitlab; grabbed the source; and updated my outdated Visual Studio 2005 to Visual Studio Community 2019. I originally tried VS Community 2022 but there was a conflict with the code. When trying to compile the code with VS 2019 Community, the process begins and appears to be working as intended, but after a while, the process ends and I have a page full of compilation errors. Some say that the code is trying to call something that doesn’t exist. Some mention an external error.

I have tried obtaining the source using git clone —recurse-submodules -j8 command from the project page and from a copy of the project from my account page but both give me errors. I have also tried to use the downloaded zip file from the project page but that also gives compilation errors.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help. This looks like worthwhile project to support but I sort of wanted to try before I buy to make sure I could use it properly.

Thanks again.
Can you share your actual error(s)?

The topmost error is probably useful

Can you share your actual error(s)?

The topmost error is probably useful
When I get home and to my desk, I will try to compile again and give better error info. I was doing this message on the go and after I submitted it, I did see it was semi vague. Sorry about that.

When I get home and to my desk, I will try to compile again and give better error info. I was doing this message on the go and after I submitted it, I did see it was semi vague. Sorry about that.
All good, hopefully the error will point us right to something missing and needing to be installed, or a setting changed.

Hopefully you don't have to sell your house, or acquire a new sleeve/soul or anything

The first step is to figure out the git part. If you’re having problems there, then you’re going to cascade problems elsewhere. Don’t use the zip file, since the project uses submodules and those wouldn’t be included in the zip.

Starting from a fresh directory, git clone the repo, then cd into the folder and git submodule init && git submodule update

If you have any errors doing that, stop and let’s troubleshoot those errors. Otherwise you’ll want to open src/OpenVanilla.sln and start by just compiling eqlib.

Since you said VS 2005 and not VS 2015, I just have to make sure that you’re running windows 10 or 11 and not like, Windows 7, though.

Last edited:
The first step is to figure out the git part. If you’re having problems there, then you’re going to cascade problems elsewhere. Don’t use the zip file, since the project uses submodules and those wouldn’t be included in the zip.

Starting from a fresh directory, git clone the repo, then cd into the folder and git submodule init && git submodule update

If you have any errors doing that, stop and let’s troubleshoot those errors. Otherwise you’ll want to open src/OpenVanilla.sln and start by just compiling eqlib.

Since you said VS 2005 and not VS 2015, I just have to make sure that you’re running windows 10 or 11 and not like, Windows 7, though.

Hi Knightly and Sic,

Just got back home to the desktop. I will follow your steps from above. One quick question. In addition to the OpenVanilla solution, I noticed a Macroquest solution in the src directory. Does the Macroquest solution need to be compiled ahead of the OpenVanilla?

Let me go clean out the download folder and fire up Git Bash.

P.S. Regarding VS 2005, that was totally uninstalled and I installed fresh VS 2019 Community on a Windows 10 64-bit machine. The VBS 2005 was from back in the 2003/2004 original MQ days.

Last edited:

Last attempt with a screenshot of the top few lines from the error log. I just realized you said compile eqlib first before OpenVanilla. I tried compiling OpenVanila straight away. Will go basck and just compile eqlib first and see.

Attachments

• Compile Errors.png
    Compile Errors.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 6
OpenVanilla is "downstream" of MacroQuest -- OpenVanilla adds plugins and customizes configuration specific to RedGuides. So the MacroQuest.sln file is the original file from "upstream" and is missing any of the plugins RedGuides has added. So you could try compiling that first as the "core" distribution if you're having problems and want to know if it's something specific to OpenVanilla, but there's no reason to do that. OpenVanilla.sln has everything that MacroQuest.sln has.

I just use git for windows and powershell git I don't use git bash.

To be clear -- you can compile just eqlib from within the OpenVanilla.sln (you're building the project and not the whole solution).

I just noticed that when you open VS 2019 on its own and not by clicking on a solution, there is an option to clone repositories. Would it be worth a shot to clone the repo using VS 2019 as opposed to Git Bash?

Hey stupid VS 2019 question. When I installed VS 2019 I did not do a complete install of every feature. Perhaps I missing an internal VS2019 file?

I just went ahead and cloned the repo from the OpenVanilla project page using VS 2019. After cloning the repo to my local machine, VS 2019 is telling me there is change/modification in the vcpkg submodule and the change is uncommitted. Could this be the issue?

I don't like Visual Studio's git integration myself, so I don't use it at all. vcpkg shouldn't be showing you any uncommitted changes though. But no, it's likely unrelated to whatever you have going on.

I don't like Visual Studio's git integration myself, so I don't use it at all. vcpkg shouldn't be showing you any uncommitted changes though. But no, it's likely unrelated to whatever you have going on.
OK.. Will try to abort VS because now it is cycling with CMake error/failures and that 1 uncommitted change to vcpkg. If worse comes to worse I will reboot the machine and start fresh with no artifacts potentially in memory.

I really do appreciate this help. Now you can see why I wanted to try things out. I have zero luck getting things to work in EQ besides the native client. <sigh>

One of the many benefits of subscribing to RedGuides is it's compiled for you so you don't have to go through that. But it should be a pretty easy compile.

Tried again using git clone from elevated Windows prompt. Scanning the logs, it tells me it doesn't like my version of 7zip but according to 7zip site, I am using the latest version. It doesn't like my powershell version but again according to Microsoftr my Windows installation is up to date. Regarding the vcpkg folder I am seeing this fatal error

fatal: unsafe repository ('D:/openvanilla/contrib/vcpkg' is owned by someone else)

Will try and scan some more.

>Downloading 7zip...
2> https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z2107-extra.7z -> D:\openvanilla\contrib\vcpkg\downloads\7z2107-extra.7z
2>EXEC : error : Failed to download from mirror set:
2>File does not have the expected hash:
2> url : [ https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z2107-extra.7z ]
2> File path : [ D:\openvanilla\contrib\vcpkg\downloads\7z2107-extra.7z.22120.part ]
2> Expected hash : [ 648d894940bcc29951752d7a8fd18c770ee8d4fd944e17f1a52588e51ca8f58375ba48514538f2e1387786fd812bb86f75fd6bdd0892685cdcafb2989942c848 ]
2> Actual hash : [ b23c381e65b37c4d7e42a020bee455f615b80a28599022b9b564facb296e23e7ee77fc91d5c7d3a356f788bc8318d4cff4ed3b3e183a4ce80c13d637648ff667 ]
2>
2>

One of the many benefits of subscribing to RedGuides is it's compiled for you so you don't have to go through that. But it should be a pretty easy compile.

I hear you but now I am determined to not let this beat me. I also realize I am trying to compile someone else's code which could throw a kink into the works.

Is D: on a network drive? You don't need to elevate in order to do anything with compiling.

Copy your whole log and search for "warning" and "error" and see what you get. But that issue you're seeing is that you're getting a different hash from the 7zip download. You have a proxy between you and the internet?

Going to try and run the following from an elevated windows prompt and then try to rebuild and see.

git config --global --add safe.directory D:/openvanilla/contrib/vcpkg

Is D: on a network drive? You don't need to elevate in order to do anything with compiling.

Copy your whole log and search for "warning" and "error" and see what you get. But that issue you're seeing is that you're getting a different hash from the 7zip download. You have a proxy between you and the internet?
No D:\ is local on the machine.

Router level protection for my home network and local antivirus on each machine

Seems to have done the trick

========== Rebuild All: 101 succeeded, 0 failed, 6 skipped ==========

Now to fire up the game and see in the OpenVanilla injects.

Regarding subscription, is there a prepaid option? I think Isboxer does prepaid. I guess if you buy red coins and then use the coins, that is like prepaid. If I saw correctly, that makes it $10 USD per month prepaid or $9.95 USD per month for subscription.

Seems to have done the trick

========== Rebuild All: 101 succeeded, 0 failed, 6 skipped ==========

Now to fire up the game and see in the OpenVanilla injects.

Regarding subscription, is there a prepaid option? I think Isboxer does prepaid. I guess if you buy red coins and then use the coins, that is like prepaid. If I saw correctly, that makes it $10 USD per month prepaid or $9.95 USD per month for subscription.

Well you can do redcents - but no, that isn't typically how you do membership.

> Sign up for membership here <

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

I will go back to the installation videos to make sure I am doing things correctly. Like I said above, I have been able to compile/recompile the solution. I had to do that several times because BitDefender deleted files both MQ and Everquest because it said they were infected with malware. I am taking a leap of faith that there are no key loggers or trojans hiding about.

Macroquest shows in the Task Manager and I see the update/change window at character select but I am not seeing an ingame window for MQ. I tried to use the inventory macro and I did see it get reported in the log file but not in-game. I need to play with this more tonight or tomorrow and make sure things are set correctly in the various ini's.

Again thank you for all the help during the compilation process.

I will go back to the installation videos to make sure I am doing things correctly. Like I said above, I have been able to compile/recompile the solution. I had to do that several times because BitDefender deleted files both MQ and Everquest because it said they were infected with malware. I am taking a leap of faith that there are no key loggers or trojans hiding about.

Macroquest shows in the Task Manager and I see the update/change window at character select but I am not seeing an ingame window for MQ. I tried to use the inventory macro and I did see it get reported in the log file but not in-game. I need to play with this more tonight or tomorrow and make sure things are set correctly in the various ini's.

Again thank you for all the help during the compilation process.
well you are looking at the source, so there's that.

it is suggested and recommended to whitelist your mq/eq installs from constant scanning, as they're going to have continual updates to certain things as you're playing and those things can impact performance and potential cause file locking issues

That's especially true when compiling yourself -- since your code won't be signed and validated and your antivirus is just trying to protect you. But yes, it's open source.

If you're running EQ as admin (for example, with IsBoxer) you would also have to run MQ as admin.

Solution

Gentlemen,

You have been very gracious with your time and coaching. The last time I wrote any serious code has to be 30-years ago and that was Fortran V and Pascal, My knowledge of C++ is very minimal and self-taught. I only dabbled in C++ as a hobby and because everything game oriented in the late 90's and early 2000's was being done in C++ and then I guess C#.

Again thank you for all your help. The ball is now in my court about how serious I am going to be in returning to EQ1 and trying to multi-box. Oh, yet again one last question. My main has always been an enchanter and back in the day I loved the control aspects of the class. When other groups would run out of Old Seb, I told my group we will walk out and I will mez the crap out of the zone just keep me alive. The question is how hard would it be to have the enchanter drive and then box a tank (possibly SK), and a cleric. I guess I could make some F2P accounts and fill out the last 3 slots. I hear Berserkers are strong.

Thanks again.

With MQ you can pretty much drive whatever you want to drive. I sometimes alternate just to keep things fresh. Most people drive their tanks, just because that gives you the most control over what is going on and “call the shots” so to speak, but it’s no problem to drive your enchanter. The logic of most macros and plugins try to account for whatever scenario.

Problem - Openvanilla Won’t Fully Compile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back