• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Logging in multiple accounts on same PC (1 Viewer)

falloutboy

RedCents
There have been times I need to get a large amount of accounts online. I usually spread them across multiple PC's because I have an issue: No matter how beefy the PC is, Eqgame.exe starts crashing randomly after 4-8 logins. I've messed with the Page file a bit, increasing it's size to 20gig or so but that doesn't help.

It seems the higher Ram machines do the best so I'm thinking that XP sucks when the Page file gets over 2GB. Example a PC with 1GB ram and 2gb page file gets eaten up after 4 instances where one with 2gb ram and 2gb page file doesn't go over the 2gb page file until 6 instances. I'm talking everything turned off/down characters staring at the floor, etc. CPU load is only about 50% at the point of crashing

The one thing I'd like to try is making a copy of EQ on a seperate HDD to run extra instances off of. the idea being that maybe the HDD is being overworked after that many copys. Or even run the page file on a seperate HDD?

Yes i've tried eqwindows and it does not work any better. (in some cases worse)

My goal is to get about 15 on one PC. Performance is not a concern, I just would like to get them online (doing nothing)

thanks for looking.

Maybe if this still works, you could get a few more instances up and running:

http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php?t=14943

Otherwise, perhaps, as an idea, to load up wineq2 and set the "playnice" down to as low as you can... perhaps maybe to 1 frame per 100 if possible seeing as you only need them there and not do anything with them:

http://www.lavishsoft.com

I hope that gives you a few extra ideas anyways :)

Here is how you do it...

(1) Get a fiber channel SAN
(2) Create a physical SAN drive, and create separate luns in raid 0 (1 for each EQ)
(3) Set a physical array of 20 15k ultra 320 fiber scsi drives in an array 0, put your pagefile here
(4) Boot XP from the san on your 4 processor woodcrest machine (16 cores) with 32 GB of ram
(5) Load each box from its own SAN lun
(6) Enjoy your server class machine while you 15 box =)

Kukmuk said:
Here is how you do it...

(1) Get a fiber channel SAN
(2) Create a physical SAN drive, and create separate luns in raid 0 (1 for each EQ)
(3) Set a physical array of 20 15k ultra 320 fiber scsi drives in an array 0, put your pagefile here
(4) Boot XP from the san on your 4 processor woodcrest machine (16 cores) with 32 GB of ram
(5) Load each box from its own SAN lun
(6) Enjoy your server class machine while you 15 box =)

lol, but I love this idea better!! :p

Funny post, but I can get 8 in with one of my laptops. That setup is a bit overboard to get 7 more in I would think. I was looking for some knowledge on configuration with current hardware that would work to get some more accounts on.

The wire frame idea is a good one, but it does not trim down any memory usage unfortunately and would not help get more instances in. At least that's what I got from reading the thread you pointed too. The thread also says it doesn't work for multiple instances.

I forgot about playnice. I'll see where that gets me. Thanks Mikik. I'll post the results. (EDIT: Did not work, exact same results. I tested weakest PC I have and crashes loading 5th instance. The same as without it running)

I wish there was a way to log in and join a group without even loading the game. Like the old eqchat program where your character was in channels, but didn't load all the graphics and whatnot.

Last edited:
falloutboy said:
My goal is to get about 15 on one PC. Performance is not a concern, I just would like to get them online (doing nothing).

I have found that putting the view port down too a little square helps save recourses & allow my macros many more cycles before my PC crashes. I generally use “/viewport 600 400 200 200” this way I can make out what’s on screen if I needed without changing it back to my normal Resolution “/viewport reset” I hope this helps some at least.

Try loading each instance only to character select, then minimizing the window. Once you get each instance loaded to that point, go back and load each instance into the game and again minimize each window. I routinely get 8 instances loaded up this way on a 64 bit 4 gig ram machine running xp. Only keep one instance in full window mode, the rest are just bots.

Logging in multiple accounts on same PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back