• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Improve Mage DPS (1 Viewer)

whytdrumer

RedCents
1,124¢
So I’m using one of the ini files here and my DPS ranges from $70k to as high as 150k. What should mage DPS look like and what are some ways I can improve things to get my average DPS to 120k+ each time?

I’m I’m using the 110 ini. I’m level 110 and my gear is tier 1 ToV gear (snowbound). My group is currently sk, cler, bard, ench, mage and rang. This group is what I have currently. I’m working on leveling some additional toons.

What level? For a 110 group gear mage, that's about right in range, though yeah you'd like to make it more consistent around 120K.

Mage dps will be
  • Water pet with all gear, ideally attacking from back to avoid riposte losing dmg. Set up group so tank and mage our opposite sides of camp. Have puller head to middle, or have pullertank pull through the group (assuming this won't kill your bard.)
  • R Servant first, unless you're killing singles over and over. Again, spawning it at mob's back is better. Also procs your synergy boost for fire/chrono group nukers.
  • Chaotic is top priority nuke, trying to get one of the good buffs. If this is avail, you cast it over the other nukes.
  • Load highest and 2nd highest Spear. These are your two main DPS spells.
  • XX of Many. If you have a ton of pets out, like a named fight, this is better than Spear dmg. Otherwise it's weaker. But if you have the theft of essence AA, a cast of it will buff all nearby pets/swarm pets with +atk boost.
If you have another mage, ench or wiz in group, make sure to get the synergy AA and make sure those toons are priority casting the spells that trigger the group nuke buff.

If you're running a bard, the overhaste aura will land on swarm pets and boost their DPS. Besides the 45% spell boost, they have some minor songs that add nuke dd for fire.

Dicho/Dis - I think it's worth keeping up for the pet procs, as long as you're not PetTank'n things. Some mages think it's a waste of the cast time though. You could try both ways and see how your DPS is going.

Magic nuke + Malo combo spell - Situational spell. I run it in Burn, but add it to DPS if I'm against resisty mobs. If you have synergy classes, you may need to cast a magic nuke for those, so use as needed.

You get the 2h staff that procs 10k nukes too, tradable ToV T1. The mana regen items are probably better for chainpull, but I like the free nukes.

Last edited:
@eqtrader74 spelled it out pretty well right there.
-make sure your synergy spell is matched up with whatever aa level you’re on.
-what’s the ini called specifically? Maybe we could look at it and see if it needs adjusting.

They'll do both. You can see the odds of proc on the items.
  • Glacial Tipped Staff (ToV T1, buyable in Bazaar) - 10k procs in combat, 10k procs on nuke cast. Drops from Vekboz in EW.
  • Velium Infused Arcane Staff (T3, buyable but needs drops for combine) - 12k procs combat/cast
  • The Ice Encrusted chase ToV one is same proc as Velium, but better stats.
There are quite a few other versions from previous xpacs too, though mainly not tradable. There is a TBL one from Secret Dawn Arcane Stuff Muhbis. Most do the 10k base. The RoS one is drops in OT from a named bird and is very easy to tank with a mage pet.

Last edited:
Question - Improve Mage DPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back