• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Bard Instruments and DW (1 Viewer)

Killertoxin

RedCents
412¢
So, the question is the usefulness of the ToV velks bard instruments, Is it better to DW weapons or run with the instrument in the offhand ?

Always DW.

To elaborate, all you get from equipping an instrument is the Finesse focus (which is 1 extra tick to a song of that type), and a 30% buff to your melee white swings (SPA 185) (which would only apply to the one weapon you have equipped). In pretty much every normal scenario, the extra song tick is not worth the loss of offhand white swings. That being said, if you DO know a case where the extra song tick is super useful please let us know. More knowledge never hurt, and I'm always down to learn more tricks.

If you're actively playing the bard you might be able to fit in an extra song or two in the melody if you can bandolier swap fast enough.

Last edited:
Always DW.

To elaborate, all you get from equipping an instrument is the Finesse focus (which is 1 extra tick to a song of that type), and a 30% buff to your melee white swings (SPA 185) (which would only apply to the one weapon you have equipped). In pretty much every normal scenario, the extra song tick is not worth the loss of offhand white swings. That being said, if you DO know a case where the extra song tick is super useful please let us know. More knowledge never hurt, and I'm always down to learn more tricks.

If you're actively playing the bard you might be able to fit in an extra song or two in the melody if you can bandolier swap fast enough.
Thanks Much. if i come across a use ill post about it.

Max Focus for Bard songs is already met if you have Instrument Mastery AA's maxed and are wearing Group gear for Rank I and II songs. Instrument Mastery AA and Song Focus on Gear/Instruments are both SPA 413/260 which are calculated together. An instrument could potentially give you an additional 10% focus (to put you at 350%) but only if you're using Rk. III songs that are capped over 340% (and are using Group Gear). If you're in Raid gear, Instrument won't give you any effective bonus since the Cap is 360% on Rk. III songs and the Raid gear focus has 360% of that SPA already.

Maxed Instrument Mastery gives 80% of the same SPA that Armor/Instruments give, and will not calculate over the focus cap.

So if the Cap is 320%, you'd Add your Armor Mod/Inst Mod and the Instrument Mastery AA together first - (260% for group armor + 80% from Instrument Mastery AA = 340%, 20% over the Cap for Rk. I songs and at the cap for Rk. II).

Last edited:
Max Focus for Bard songs is already met if you have Instrument Mastery AA's maxed and are wearing Group gear for Rank I and II songs. Instrument Mastery AA and Song Focus on Gear/Instruments are both SPA 413/260 which are calculated together. An instrument could potentially give you an additional 10% focus (to put you at 350%) but only if you're using Rk. III songs that are capped over 340% (and are using Group Gear). If you're in Raid gear, Instrument won't give you any effective bonus since the Cap is 360% on Rk. III songs and the Raid gear focus has 360% of that SPA already.

Maxed Instrument Mastery gives 80% of the same SPA that Armor/Instruments give, and will not calculate over the focus cap.

So if the Cap is 320%, you'd Add your Armor Mod/Inst Mod and the Instrument Mastery AA together first - (260% for group armor + 80% from Instrument Mastery AA = 340%, 20% over the Cap for Rk. I songs and at the cap for Rk. II).
wow i had no idea that stacked. good info. so instruments don't have as much value as i thought. Really at higher levlels only good for that exta tick and Rk 3 song. Don't suppose you can explain the tribute buffs that affect bards. Never figured that out.

Don't suppose you can explain the tribute buffs that affect bards. Never figured that out.

If you're talking about the tribute that gives Resonance, those are the same SPA as Instrument Mastery/Instrument Mods on gear. So anything over the Song's focus cap is thrown out. If you're in group gear, and using Rk. III songs, then you can probably use the first rank of Concerto to give you the last 20% you'd need to be at the 360% cap if the song has a cap that high.

Question - Bard Instruments and DW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back