• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - Boxing a class you don't play? (2 Viewers)

RedCents
1,005¢
As I am expanding my box group I find myself adding classes I have never played before.

In the early days I played just my wood elf druid. When I came back to the game I started playing Magician as I really liked the idea of a pet class.

As I decided I needed to box to achieve my goals I added a rogue specifically for the lockpicking ability to help my mage get his epic.
Then I expanded the group to a shaman for heals as I didn't have one in the group and didn't want to rely on a merc for heals.

I have never fully driven the shaman or the rogue, I have used RGMercs to run them 99% of the time. The only time I have ever driven the rogue was to build lockpicking skill and then to get my mage into where he needed for an epic item.
After completing the mage epic I shifted gears and created a shadow knight so the group had a full tank replacing my mage. The shadow knight was new to me but I picked it up really quickly, still having no idea how to play rogue or the shaman.

I'm now adding a bard, again using rgmercs to control him and never driving manually, I spend almost all my time driving the SK to pull mobs and travel.

Do others also have classes they are unfamiliar with in their group?

Most of us have classes that we are unfamiliar with because we continue to use amazing plugins put out by the CWTN team @ChatWithThisName and @Sic particularly. Of the classes I box, I am unfamiliar with:

DRU, WIZ, PAL, ENC, BST, BER. I have a little bit of knowledge about these classes, but would not be effective if I played them manually. The best part? I don't have to thank to the above.

Healer classes. I just find main healing boring, so I only ever learned them to the extent that I needed to to play them passably with hotkeys. I got pretty good with shaman by hand as it was my healer for my primary group when I was still boxing entirely by hand, but druid and cleric? Meh.

So if anyone ever finds themselves in a group with me healing, just know I am phoning it in and you are super dead.

I'm adding one as we speak.

At first I was worried about setting up hotbars/etc but I suspect seeing other people's expertise expressed in boolean is better than a lot of information I would get elsewhere and will provide a solid foundation to grow from.

Too much time on my hands and this community will likely provide the rest of what I need if I wanted to play the class outright. I would like to be able to drive any of them at any time in any capacity.

every character I have started other than my wizard has been a class I never really played but was only familiar with. However, I dont accept not knowing how they act and learn the class. The exception I would have to say is zerker cause zerkers are just different rogues and serve no real purpose other than being a different rogue/monk with less utility. I don't own a zerker, I just box them cause people in my guild love them for some reason and i have access to a lot of accounts.

Honestly. I'm necro only, I've always soloed. So, now I drive with sk. Necro with AC. Being able to manage group without learning every class is only reason I'm playing again. Not enough time. Somewhere I grew up and accumulated alot of responsibilities. My bad..... I blame life.

I typically run KA, I have had to manually run the toons I want in my group a bit and study them to build their ini's. Usually I spent a few nights grinding with the rest of the group on auto, set up my UI and mash keys etc then I build the INI to reflect what I'm doing.

One benefit to doing this, when we do alt raids I can just log a toon in and be ready to rock to fill whatever role is needed without much fuss.

My DPS classes usually rock 70-80% of the dps I can pull manually which is my guideline and the healers are set to be super reactive. I drive my SK usually.

Boxing character I've never played defiantly made me learn a lot more about them, forced me to learn enough to make them work with KA
Bard, Cleric,Rogue,Berserker

Yes, it's hard to be familiar with them, since I have every different class in my various groups. I muddle though with the help of posted .Ini files. I'm sure nothing is optimized, but my groups mostly do ok.

What I did when starting with a new class; is watch what the INI / CWTN / RGMercs is using on said class. You'll start to notice a rotation of abilities. Then you can create hot buttons based around that to play manually. If your entire group is "botted" pick a random class to just pay attention to, then you can start to drive them yourself. Great way to avoid boredom so you're not just pressing auto-attack on your SK a million times over. One of my favorite classes to pilot (which before CWTNs plugins I had no experience with) is Enchanter. Keeping buffs up while locking down mobs is incredibly satisfying.

Basically use MQ2 as your own "real-time tutor".

Discussion - Boxing a class you don't play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back