• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Browsers refusing to work (1 Viewer)

Cade

The Rainman, (Administrator)
RedCents
1,031¢
This isn't my issue, but an issue of a friend which has stumped me.

She has tried several browsers (firefox, IE, Opera, Netscape) and none of them can open any webpage, as if there was no internet connection. She is using a HP laptop and using a wireless connection. Everything else works; she can still receive and send email, IM clients are working, and (thank God) can still play Everquest. The problem started just after she updated to IE7.

Ideas?

The problem started just after she updated to IE7.

Was gonna leave it at that, but I thought I'd make some input as well. Have her uninstall IE7 and see if that does it. It sounds like some kind of security settings were screwed up in the installation.

Was gonna leave it at that, but I thought I'd make some input as well. Have her uninstall IE7 and see if that does it. It sounds like some kind of security settings were screwed up in the installation.

She already did, a while back. Also did a system restore to before it was installed.

Could be the Internet Options located in the Control Panel. Sometimes IE is so stupid it doesn't realize you're on broadband, and has no idea how to connect to the 'net. Make sure the connection is setup correctly in the options screen.

Could be the Internet Options located in the Control Panel. Sometimes IE is so stupid it doesn't realize you're on broadband, and has no idea how to connect to the 'net. Make sure the connection is setup correctly in the options screen.

The interesting part here is that Firefox and Opera also do not work - not just IE. Try flushing the ARP cache on the machine as well.

From CMD prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

Also make sure there isn't something stupid in Control Panel -> Internet Options that may be defaulting to dial-up.

Lastly, check ipconfig to make sure there are DNS entries there from her ISP. Some broadband routers fail to transmit the DNS servers to XP/Vista, and you have to manually enter them in your TCP/IP settings.

I had a similar problem at work. One of the ladies updated Firefox and the Nortons firewall suddenly decided it didn't like the program and blocked connections.

The real problem was I was sure I had removed Nortons and even though the firewall wasn't listed as a running process somehow the firewall was still there. I ended up having to remove all registry entries for Nortons before I could get the firewall to die.

She already did, a while back. Also did a system restore to before it was installed.

This happened to me when i went to ie7. make sure ALL the ie7 files are actually deleated on her computer. If when you get rid of ie7 and ie6 doesn't replace it it is not TOTALLY gone.

This stumped me for quite some time until a friend told me to search and destroy all files associated with ie7 lol ;)

I find it odd that your browsers don't work yet your EQ connection works. If it was one browser it would be easy to diagnose but what I'm thinking is you just need to reset your TCP/IP stack

Go into dos

Start---> Run ---> Type "Cmd" ---> hit enter

Type

netsh int ip reset c:\ip.txt

hit enter

netsh winsock reset c:\winsock.txt

hit enter

restart your computer, try and browse now.

Browsers refusing to work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back