• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Empires of Kunark Impressions (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,490¢
So I've played in it a bit, and I have to say... I really dig it. Its got more of an old school vibe without ramming forced progression down your throat.

Features
-Quests / Missions are for unlocking raid, everything is open world
-Only a select # of quests per zone and no real rewards so grind away on that favorite spawn
-Or just run missions if you want
-Nice zones and environment (no more stupid staircase dropping down into a pit with layers and layers of maps)

Overall, I'm loving this expansion, more old school and its friendly to boxers since you're not doing all those damn quests like the last expansion.

What are your guys thoughts so far?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Monks got an awesome buff this xpac so as a main it is beyond great.

The only downer... Clerics didn't get jack this expansion (TBM was very kind to them, so its expected)

I like it so far. Plus Frontier Mountains is a 5ish minute repop zone so pretty easy Tier 1 loots so far, also that zone is empty right now cause everybody is zerging lceanium and scorched woods doing tasks/missions. I'll do those later after I gear up a little bit.

I haven't played much since the release but I played during beta and we beat all the raid events.

I thought the raid events were fun. They weren't overly easy but they weren't just impossibly hard either -- although that was with everyone being beta-buffed. We beat all the raid events of the expansion and they will definitely prove to be a challenge if people aren't paying attention.

I like it so far. Plus Frontier Mountains is a 5ish minute repop zone so pretty easy Tier 1 loots so far, also that zone is empty right now cause everybody is zerging lceanium and scorched woods doing tasks/missions. I'll do those later after I gear up a little bit.

I found the named in lceanium to be easy enough (at least I didn't die at all). I did see some groups having issues with one or two (pulling in particular). Some of the named have nasty stuns (birds). The zone was packed, though. We got a message that there were so many people the zone was going to start suspending mercs. No bueno for some people.

I think I'll try what you're suggesting ... ignore progression and even the first zone and move a little deeper into the expansion to farm gear, since that's all I'm trying to do at the moment.

Yeah been enjoying it too.. Havent been boxing it, just grouping with a few guildies, but yeah its been a blast so far.. Just hunting, no progression work done yet.. Found one hella challenging named wurm in Scorched Woods to 1 grp, but we took it down for a SWEET tanker shield.. Other named around there not so tough.. but still lotta fun.

Nameds are easy in T1 zones, expect one or 2 you pull for the first time whithout knowing the mechanics ( thinking of a spider in lc that uyou can only melee damage it, if you use spells, it heals 500% X the nuke dps u did). Other that that, tasks are easy... maybe too easy for some. With the /pickzone, you can choose another instance of zone with less people. which is a good thing if you are farming nameds to gear your army of toons. The bad side of these instances, is that you need to be in the main instance of the zone, for some task step to work properly.
Other than that, i really appreciate the bigger zone they implanted, you know what i mean, you need more that 20 sec to go from a side to another. That's for the T1 part, i haven't been in T2 yet.
Rare items drop a lot in T1 at least, i have seen many of them in guild or general channels. 35 purity aug drop are not that rare either (better drop rate than purity of chasity in TDS)

Nameds are easy in T1 zones, expect one or 2 you pull for the first time whithout knowing the mechanics ( thinking of a spider in lc that uyou can only melee damage it, if you use spells, it heals 500% X the nuke dps u did). Other that that, tasks are easy... maybe too easy for some. With the /pickzone, you can choose another instance of zone with less people. which is a good thing if you are farming nameds to gear your army of toons. The bad side of these instances, is that you need to be in the main instance of the zone, for some task step to work properly.
Other than that, i really appreciate the bigger zone they implanted, you know what i mean, you need more that 20 sec to go from a side to another. That's for the T1 part, i haven't been in T2 yet.
Rare items drop a lot in T1 at least, i have seen many of them in guild or general channels. 35 purity aug drop are not that rare either (better drop rate than purity of chasity in TDS)

You're on test server, aren't you? I don't think live servers have the /pick feature, or else I would have been sniping named left and right in a zone that didn't have 99 people in it the other day.

I started with progression, saw 88 in zone and /pickzoned to a different one that had 13 in zone, 6 of which was me. Did the first task and most of the second before I got side tracked. Camped a couple T2 nameds and have my main tank nearly geared out for EoK T2 visables. Not sure how tough the nameds are for a "group" as I went in overkill with 2 clerics, druid and shaman for healing and enough DPS to obliterate anything in short order. So it was pretty easy, but your mileage my vary. It was very spiky damage, but I don't think my warrior dropped below 50% more than a couple times. One of the nameds I last stand+pain doesn't hurt and was still getting spiky damage. Other one I just used pain doesn't hurt and incoming DPS wasn't too bad, probably coulda just done it without any defensive disc going.

I'm enjoying it, nice to be gaining experience again and have gear that is actually very nice upgrades from what I currently have. I think the non-visable T2 gear will be a downgrade in AC, but a significant improvement for HME vs TBM, so guess I may keep some TBM stuff for my tanks.

It went live with the expansion...

I haven't tested it outside EoK

I'm not certain it was supposed to go live... If so, it smells like the spoiler alert for "roll all blue servers into 1 and /pick to sort it out"...

Named spawn in each pick :) has been a great help getting hunters done.

However you can only do it when there are enough in zone. Watch for raid time in lce and frontier :)

It went live with the expansion...

I haven't tested it outside EoK

I'm not certain it was supposed to go live... If so, it smells like the spoiler alert for "roll all blue servers into 1 and /pick to sort it out"...

I'm not going to complain. I wonder how many even know about it.

I've only seen the wrist armor drop (and just one out of all the named I've killed in Lceanium).

If you think that MakTak is good, though, check out Mosscovered Greatsword out of Lceanium (named: The Lost Hunter). Someone linked it in general chat last night... brand new drop associated with that named. It's a 2 hander knight sword with an insane lifetap proc, faster than the MakTak, and (iirc) more damage.

Yeah no joke.
Tier 1 should be non prestige, the raid upgrade should be prestige. Seems weird.

also that thing you mentioned sum1, I cant decide if i like it more. The proc is 4200 base, and its basically the same aside from that.

Mosscovered Great Sword
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE PLACEABLE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 2H Slashing Atk Delay: 35
DMG: 360 Dmg Bonus: 94 AC: 199
This item is placeable in yards, guild yards, houses and guild halls.
STR: +94+26 DEX: +68+43 STA: +54+87 CHA: +72+25 WIS: +78+32 INT: +73+36 AGI: +59+36 HP: +7330 MANA: +6860 ENDUR: +6860
SV FIRE: +85 SV DISEASE: +92 SV COLD: +104 SV MAGIC: +93 SV POISON: +94 SV CORRUPTION: +2
Attack: +54 HP Regen +8 Mana Regeneration: +10 Clairvoyance: +123 Spell Damage: +84 Heal Amount: +48
Required level of 105.
Effect: Vampiric Consumption II (Combat, Casting Time: Instant)
WT: 6.3 Size: LARGE
Class: PAL SHD
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)
Slot 2, Type 5 (Weapon: Elem Damage)
Slot 3, Type 20 (Ornamentation)

Yeah no joke.
Tier 1 should be non prestige, the raid upgrade should be prestige. Seems weird.

also that thing you mentioned sum1, I cant decide if i like it more. The proc is 4200 base, and its basically the same aside from that.

Mosscovered Great Sword
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE PLACEABLE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 2H Slashing Atk Delay: 35
DMG: 360 Dmg Bonus: 94 AC: 199
This item is placeable in yards, guild yards, houses and guild halls.
STR: +94+26 DEX: +68+43 STA: +54+87 CHA: +72+25 WIS: +78+32 INT: +73+36 AGI: +59+36 HP: +7330 MANA: +6860 ENDUR: +6860
SV FIRE: +85 SV DISEASE: +92 SV COLD: +104 SV MAGIC: +93 SV POISON: +94 SV CORRUPTION: +2
Attack: +54 HP Regen +8 Mana Regeneration: +10 Clairvoyance: +123 Spell Damage: +84 Heal Amount: +48
Required level of 105.
Effect: Vampiric Consumption II (Combat, Casting Time: Instant)
WT: 6.3 Size: LARGE
Class: PAL SHD
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)
Slot 2, Type 5 (Weapon: Elem Damage)
Slot 3, Type 20 (Ornamentation)

I always go for pure damage over proc damage, so I'd still go with the mosscovered. It's both faster and more damage, which means when you add a +dam aug its more bang for your buck.

They finally gave much needed attention to proc dmg this expansion, in AA's and item dmg. The proc dmg is probably way better than any dmg aug you would pick up currently, especially since they changed code about 8 months back allowing you to have more than 1 proc be able to proc every combat round.

When mobs have 6 million hp (TDS) and your proc does 600 dmg, its silly. To bad damage shields got no love so far. The dmg shields have fallen way behind on on ratio of dmg vs mob hp. What are we up to 1000 dmg shield (non short duration ds) vs a 12 million hp mob? Pretty silly.

Gonna get Wurmslayer for my warrior. 40dly, but at over 300dmg, that should be a pretty good tank 1hander

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=127474

and if you can get the raid component to upgrade it

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=125820

Is the raid component, the Element of Kunark? Also that 12 delay weapon looks sick, to bad monk weapons got no love though.

P.S. Monks got an awesome buff this xpac so as a main it is beyond great.

What monk buff? Are you talking about the synergy AA's? Every class got one, and they are all pretty good on the 3-4 classes I looked at.

What monk buff? Are you talking about the synergy AA's? Every class got one, and they are all pretty good on the 3-4 classes I looked at.

I'm bursting at 120k dps now... Kick mastery, Thunderfoot, Discipline in class AA... most classes got jack, but these boosted my monks dps big time. I haven't even finished the Focus tab with Synergy yet. Overall, my monk is making out like a bandit this xpac.

Someone should do a quick guide on how us noobs can break into EoK.
All my team are 105, Krono'd up and sporting the newest expansion but no clue how to even get there.

Someone should do a quick guide on how us noobs can break into EoK.
All my team are 105, Krono'd up and sporting the newest expansion but no clue how to even get there.

guildhall has a stone, special editions have the clickies from guild halls.
Regular dudes with no guilds pick up a stone from nexus, and port over every 5 mins to lcea which is the first zone.
Most of us are still figuring stuff out, and I even played beta for it.

When enough info is available to write something worth it I know I will. I suspect others want to help too, its just too fresh to do much atm. Shoot even eqresource is missing half the named drops.

guildhall has a stone, special editions have the clickies from guild halls.
Regular dudes with no guilds pick up a stone from nexus, and port over every 5 mins to lcea which is the first zone.
Most of us are still figuring stuff out, and I even played beta for it.

When enough info is available to write something worth it I know I will. I suspect others want to help too, its just too fresh to do much atm. Shoot even eqresource is missing half the named drops.

Check the eqresource forums instead of relying on the website updates. The forums tend to get updated way faster than the website itself. Hell, I even threw in a few updates in the last couple of days that still aren't on the website itself.

- - - Updated - - -

We have been picking up wurmslayer but it is PRESTIEGE even though it is not supposed to be!

Are the Ancient events one groupable? Or is this the equivalent of this expansion's PoWar?

What's interesting is that this expansion is an AFK'ers heaven. So many wide open areas, larger zones, and easy pulls. There are some unmezzables and see invis mobs, but for the most part you can set up camp and go to town. Also, some of the zones are so full that you can use /pickzone and basically have the whole place to yourself.

Check the eqresource forums instead of relying on the website updates. The forums tend to get updated way faster than the website itself. Hell, I even threw in a few updates in the last couple of days that still aren't on the website itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been able to 1 group everything so far for them. Its actually really neat quests. Its like set up shop pull xx number of mobs and you get a guaranteed spawn with a turn in. Shoot some of them even allow for a turn in from the whole group instead of just one piece.
the only downside obviously is they are prestige currently which is super awkward.

Are the Ancient events one groupable? Or is this the equivalent of this expansion's PoWar?

Its been super chill so far and everything for them is one groupable.
Its really cool because they are basically kill quests. Kill xx mobs and you are guaranteed one spawn. Some of them also give a piece to the whole zone in on the kill. Reminds me of ff14 fates or some of the wow stuff, really fun.

The only awkward part so far is that they are flagged as prestige, which is weird for group 1 stuff.

Last edited:
The Honed Wurmslayer might be "group 1" stuff, but for a tank, I think it's about as good as group gear gets. I am not sure if it'll out parse for DPS, but it'll be close and all with fewer swings And then add in the proc it has plus the higher AC. Also, it's not dropped by a named mob in T1 zones, it's quested.

Discussion - Empires of Kunark Impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back